Beasts of the Southern Wild

Started by 72teeth, May 03, 2012, 08:59:30 PM

72teeth

Faced with her father's fading health and environmental changes that release an army of prehistoric creatures called aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy leaves her Delta-community home in search of her mother.

People are losing their shit over this, so i guess we should all be ready...

cant wait?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

I can wait, but it looks astounding. It's cool to see a young protagonist in any movie, but a lil black girl? Cbrad's gonna lose his shit over this.

Sleepless

^ LOL. Looks awesome. It's a shame that all the black people and white people hang out together though. Is that really an accurate representation of the South?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

diggler

Where are all the chubby white girls?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

I saw this (twice actually). It's pretty good. I had an unexpected emotional reaction the first time but it didn't hit me nearly the same way the second time (the audience reception was decidedly cooler outside of Park City as well). But it's different, it's promising, the music is great. (my review)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

BB

Is it like a fantasy George Washington? If so, awesome.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: Reelist on May 03, 2012, 10:58:55 PMCbrad's gonna lose his shit over this.

Haha I did lose my shit! This movie is soooo freakin' great. My fav of the year by far.

In watching it I realized I went on a few dates with one of the producers a while back before I let things fizzle out. Kind of regret that now.

72teeth

I lost my shit... i fuck ing lost my shit

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Reel

I feel sorry for whoever had to take those seats after you guys..

Director Behn Zietlin on The Treatment

is this going to have a wide release?

pete

gummo meets huck finn meets my neighbor totoro
tremendous movie. I didn't realize how real the movie was gonna get...I thought it was some magical realism bullshit, but this movie is mostly about a little girl and her alcoholic dad, and her somehow carrying the guilt for all the bad things happening to her. amidst the visual flourishes and the posh way in which poor people are quirky and crazy, there's a lot of honesty and a lot of real drama.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

I don't know why but I was a little letdown by this movie. I just wasn't hooked by it or felt too moved by what was going on, particularly in the middle section where things started to drag a little. I found the father to be a kind of boring character, all in all everything seemed to be about to become masterpiece level and then it didn't. The creatures were awesome but appear too little and it becomes monotonous that they only show up to do the same thing over and over until the end.

But the beginning is incredible.

RegularKarate

Alexandro is the first monster to not be moved by this.
Who will be the next?

Holyshit, this thing made my eyes girl up.

Pubrick

nope. overrated snorefest.

for a film with some dark themes but also grand magical realism it made no attempt to ground the fantasy shit in any kind of believable reality. the way the adults talked was GRATING, it was like a badly written play performed by people who had never been told exactly how to deliver their lines. the dad YELLS EVERY LINE.. ok we get it dude, DRAMA! everyone else makes barely any sense,, none of the "community's" relationships work.. oh your dad is in trouble here little girl take this stupid jar to him. what the fuck?

the adults are useless and the kid, who is the centre of the film, is ten times more so. sorry little girl but the reason no one actually gave you any lines to speak live on camera is because little kids can't act. so they had this much foresight but then EVERY line she speaks in her constant narration/monologue is completely lacking any discernible emotion. yes she's reading it, she has no idea what the words mean or why she's saying it, that is all that comes across, it's exactly how the adults sound except she's not screaming.

visually, stylistically, the film cribs from most things that are hip right now. that's why i think people are being tricked into thinking this means anything. overly-tight handheld, check, malicky monologues - check (but in his films the adults are REAL people, albeit sometimes transcending into "one" being speaking with many voices.. the dude's a genius alright, trust me it works when he does it), a stupid little cute kid being silent and emotionless cos she can't act and letting us be tricked that therefore everything that happens to her is "profound" - tell the waiter to bring a wheelbarrow cos this CHECK weighs a fucking tonne.

skip it and watch The Intouchables instead.
under the paving stones.

socketlevel

yep it's this year's Pan's labyrinth meets early david gorden green. it's a well thought out attempt at being spiritual. shakey camera, young girl, monsters, sigor ros (or might as well be) and voice over.

it's a formula like anything else.
the one last hit that spent you...