John Lennon

Started by bonanzataz, December 08, 2003, 07:32:57 PM

bonanzataz

Well, today is the 23rd anniversary of John Lennon's murder and that's a total bummer. the past month i've been listening to imagine and plastic ono band on repeat with selected singles on my computer in between. anyway, i think john would have liked to have his own thread on xixax, so here it is.

i personally find lennon's solo work 20 times better and more intriguing than the beatles. no beatles song has ever brought me to tears. i wish i could have met him. and i don't understand how anybody can hate yoko ono after listening to any of the songs written for her. she's got some good music herself on "double fantasy" (which i just got in the mail the other day) and "milk and honey" (which was released four years after john died).

this one's for you, john.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Sleuth

I've only heard one song from his solo work (guess)  ::SURPRISED::
I like to hug dogs

classical gas

The Plastic Ono Band CD is amazing.  It's so raw, everything that he had bottled up inside seems to come out on this record.  When he screams it makes the hairs on my arms stand up.  My two favorite songs from the album are "Mother" and "God", and of course, "Working Class Hero" is great as well.  Sometimes I also like his solo stuff better than the Beatles, even though they're one of my favorite bands.  It is strange to wander what he would be doing now.  I doubt he would have slowed down like some of his fellow musicians from the 60's, well, the ones that survived.

Ghostboy

What do you think of Let It Be...Naked? The new version of Let It Be is so much more powerful. That mroe gutteral guitar perfectly complements Lennon's voice, which is otherwise far more prominent than it used to be.

I remember going to the memorial in Central Park for the first time was one incredibly moving for me...I just had to sit down for a while. I ended up taking pictures for several tourists, as they all stood around the Imagine mosaic on the ground. One of the best memories of that trip.

classical gas

I've heard of Let it Be...Naked, but I wasn't sure if it was out or not??  Is it much better?  I hate the way Phil Spector handled the producing of this record.  I like the idea that they had first intended upon, the more raw and live sound.

Ghostboy

It came out two weeks ago and it's sooooo good.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyIt came out two weeks ago and it's sooooo good.

Really? You found it that good? I thought half of the tracks sound the same and the rest sound like works in progress. I posted my review here:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1109&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Yeah. Especially Let It Be. I think it actually sounds more epic minus the horns and orchestration.

But back to Lennon....

mogwai

i own these:

Unfinished Music No. 1 - Two Virgins & Unfinished Music No. 2 - Life with the Lions

myadopteddaughter

If Yoko is going to heaven, I am going to do a swan dive into hell.
mmm, mmmm good

Jeremy Blackman

I didn't need to see that.

NEON MERCURY

lennnnnnnnnnon is cooooll...but i like his post--rubber soul beatles career better....even though his solo sh*t is straight....

my favorite solo song is #9 dream

oh yeah!the "oh yoko" song in rushmore was nice

tpfkabi

listened to Lennon Legend today

"and so this is Christmas........"
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

classical gas

that song has been stuck in my head for the longest time...and probably will be for the rest of the month, maybe because i won't really have a home to go to this time around.. :(

because it's a sad christmas song...sorry...

Ghostboy

It's not sad, it's joyful! I hope it gets extra airplay this year. I heard it last night and at that moment it might as well have been the greatest song ever written.