Emir Kusturica

Started by rustinglass, March 12, 2003, 10:43:29 AM

SoNowThen

What did he say about Kill Bill?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenWhat did he say about Kill Bill?

I don't know but I'm guessing it's the same thing that Iñarritu thinks about Tarantino: he doesn't understands violence, nor has he experienced it.
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

If I were QT, my comeback to Innaritu would be the same statement, only instead of "violence" I would substitute "spirituality".

Anyway, I hope what Emir said was either valid, or at the very least, funny.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

rustinglass

Quote from: SoNowThen
Anyway, I hope what Emir said was either valid, or at the very least, funny.

on the kitano thread:

Quote from: ElPandaRoyal
Kusturica saying Kill Bill is a pile of shit.  
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

Quote from: rustinglasson the kitano thread:

I think he meant that hypothetically...

Quote from: rustinglasson the kitano thread:

Maybe...but if he didn't, you wouldn't be able to do anything about it, would you??????????????
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Hehehe, er....

What I mean is that ElPanda posted that like a "what if", meaning would it bother Kusturica fans who liked Kill Bill.

Also, as SoNowThen I could do nothing about it. But once I ditched my glasses and put on my cape, as SuperSoNowThen, I could fly and up rotate the earth backwards, thus changing time back and giving myself a chance to alter the past.

rustinglass

I never thought it like that. Panda must get back here and straighten this whole thing out!

What the hell... he probably hates kill bill anyway....
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

It was hypothetical...

:roll:
Si

Pubrick

Quote from: SoNowThenIf I were QT, my comeback to Innaritu would be the same statement, only instead of "violence" I would substitute "spirituality".
u don't know what ur talking about.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: SoNowThenIf I were QT, my comeback to Innaritu would be the same statement, only instead of "violence" I would substitute "spirituality".
u don't know what ur talking about.

Well, I have to say that both Tarantino and Iñárritu understand very well the subjects they deal with. They make great films and I hate it when directors diss other directors like that. Like, "let me badmouth Tarantino just for people to know I really don't give a turd about the hottest director in the world right now. I'm soooooo cool by doing that, aint I? Right? Yeeeeees........No?  :( ". It's the PTA-Fincher or Smith-PTA all over again. Just make your great movies and shut up, people  8)

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic
Si

Pubrick

now i don't know what ur talking about.
under the paving stones.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: Pubricknow i don't know what ur talking about.

I get that all the time. At least you can't kick me in the teeth like everybody does.
Si

rustinglass

Kusturica DID win a prize at cannes: the prix de l'education nationale!!!!!!
I didn't even know such a prize existed. it's for "cinematographic and pedagogical interest as well as artistic qualities". This award makes the film a pedagogical reference of the year for cinema schools. A cd-rom will be made to help understanding it and analysing it for the pupils.

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/news_archive.php?langue=6001&page=9&actu=920

Life is a miracle poster:
-Emir Kusturica

ElPandaRoyal

Si