maria full of grace

Started by pete, August 05, 2004, 11:54:22 PM

ProgWRX

well its not really a screw up, just a stupid way of saying that most south american people think the US has all the solutions to their problems and that it is a somewhat magical place...

sadly, there are people who think exactly that way...
-Carlos

modage

Quote from: RegularKaratethis was just a good movie... it wasn't that great... nothing we haven't seen before... good all around, but just good... not great.
yeah it was good, but not something i could get excited about.  stephen king said it was his favorite film of 2004.  i did like how much the film put you in the shoes of the main character, just some of the sound in the plane and only using her view of nyc not like big wide establishing shots, just as she sees it out the cab window.  

Quote from: SHAFTRMy netflix sleeve said that she wants to go to a magical land of "el norte" where streets are paved with gold.

Is this a screwup by them or did something get lost in translation?
haha, yes!  i thought that was hilarious.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Marston driving 'Convoy' to WIP
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Joshua Marston will write and direct his next project, temporarily titled "The Iraqi Convoy Project," for Warner Independent Pictures.

Marston, who established himself with his debut feature "Maria Full of Grace," which dramatized drug-running, is turning his attention to another socially conscious topic: American truckers who have made a one-year commitment to drive goods for U.S. contractors through the Iraqi war zone because of financial hardships back home.

Cherry Road Films will finance the development of the project. Marston, whose plate was full with various projects, cleared his schedule after he discussed the idea with WIP's Michael Andreen and Tommaso Fiacchino from Cherry Road. The director quickly developed a six-page e-mail outlining his vision for a story.

Marston will be fictionalizing the material, creating a character-driven film within a bigger social context.

The writer-director is expected to begin working on the script immediately. Although there is no deadline for the script, the intent is to get the project done quickly because of the story's timely nature.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i saw this guy on the IFC awards or whatever, and he seemed like an asshole.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinJoshua Marston will write and direct his next project, temporarily titled "The Iraqi Convoy Project," for Warner Independent Pictures.
Then it's not independent, is it?

Weak2ndAct

Great, we have another John Sayles on our hands (and I mean that in the worst possible way).

Alexandro

Quote from: peteSPOILERS

QuoteI felt like that ending, with her choosing to stay in America made it look like it was all worth it.  So the story, instead of being about Maria Alvarez, becomes about another heartbreaking tale of the things people will do to give their children a brighter future here in the US.

That's what's supposed to be. If she had done the other thing, well, that's not what happens in reality most of the time.

Pubrick

Quote from: RegularKarateYou guys all got me way too excited about this movie... this was just a good movie... it wasn't that great... nothing we haven't seen before... good all around, but just good... not great.
another case of a single great performance making a whole movie. and not in a bad way like monster.

the nomination was justified. most engaging performance of the year, easily. if u didn't find her as captivating then i guess the movie would suck. i admire vulnerable performances like this more than shitty hide-behind-make-up-and-get-fat theatrics.

marston just got lucky.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrickmarston just got lucky.

Someone should have told him that before he gave the longest acceptance speech in history at the Spirit Awards.