The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

forizzer69

Quote from: ρ on February 01, 2010, 07:11:08 PM
the scan isn't a spoiler, it's half a page out of a conversation. the information revealed has already been alluded to in his synopsis.

the dude remains a douche bag. not because he's refusing to leak the thing (LETS FIND OUR OWN COPY) but because he claims to legitimize his opinion by constantly trying to outguess PTA. his new rundown of "What PTA drives at" is completely irrelevant. he may as well hav been writing his own fan fiction. he clearly fails to understand even the basic plot of the story since everything he writes is random at best. there's just very little useful information in there.

if he didn't want to spoil anything but wanted to prove the thing is real, why not just post the first few pages? that would not only show whether this thing actually has the word "scientology" in the title - INSTANT INVALIDATION - it would also give us more adept readers of anderson a chance to see if the thing has any real trademarks. his idea of a trademark "leaves you thinking" is fucking idiotic.
Why hello. Um, I took a screenshot of any random page just to show that I had it. If I posted the first few pages, one would also insinuate that I would have just written that as well. It's irrelevant to post pages upon pages; people will always be skeptical.

I try to outguess him? What? No... I ascertained an impression from the story and what PTA strove to achieve in theme. That's what I took from it. Please enlighten me about your perception of said script because you seem to have it figured... which is amazing for a guy that hasn't read it.

Scientology isn't in the title. There is no title page to it. It starts off with 1952 underlined at the top of page one. The file name I got it under was, as you would have seen in the picture, UntitledScientology_Anderson. I called it UNTITLED SCIENTOLOGY for a reason.

He does leave you thinking, no? He makes you wonder what happens to his characters in their perennial story; the one that continues even after the last frame ends. There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights and Magnolia had endings where you could speculate. Punch Drunk Love and Sydney [Hard Eight] are the two that are essentially defined with how they end. So alright "trademark" may have been too strong a word. Oh well.

And to Derek (I think that was his name) he does have a name. It's mentioned once when the police are trying to ascertain him for Tax Evasion. It's Lancaster Dodd, but he's referred to as Master by everyone at all times basically, so it makes sense to have the character named Master throughout the script because his name isn't stated until page 80.

Look, I didn't compose this review to garner any attention. Hell, I thought there were already reviews of the script somewhere on the web because if I had the script, why wouldn't other people? I was told it was rare by my good friend... I didn't think it was that rare. I only made the post to appease the dozen or two people who check out my blog daily because I hadn't had my computer for two weeks and just wanted to get back whoever was reading it. Goddamn.

matt35mm

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

forizzer69

Post what? The first few pages? No... why? All that will amount to is further skepticism and people asking me to post more to prove it. Look, if people aren't willing to believe that I have it based on what I've written and posting a random page from the script; that are ardent in calling me a liar... nothing I do outside of leaking the thing will appease them. I'm just here to defend myself... it's an intoxicating frustration to see how many blog hits you're getting from a forum that essentially hates you. Gotta defend myself in some way if you guys aren't willing to post on the blog.

martinthewarrior

Quote from: forizzer69 on February 03, 2010, 12:37:18 PM
Post what? The first few pages? No... why? All that will amount to is further skepticism and people asking me to post more to prove it. Look, if people aren't willing to believe that I have it based on what I've written and posting a random page from the script; that are ardent in calling me a liar... nothing I do outside of leaking the thing will appease them. I'm just here to defend myself... it's an intoxicating frustration to see how many blog hits you're getting from a forum that essentially hates you. Gotta defend myself in some way if you guys aren't willing to post on the blog.

I'll trade you the 'there will be blood script' for this:) Thanks for the review, it was fun to get some info on the film. Don't get too worked up, it's just the internet. Nobody hates you:)

Stefen

Quote from: forizzer69 on February 03, 2010, 12:37:18 PM
Look, if people aren't willing to believe that I have it based on what I've written and posting a random page from the script; that are ardent in calling me a liar... nothing I do outside of leaking the thing will appease them.

Problem solved.

Post the whole thing. If you don't, you're just a narcissistic blogger making up shit and then getting all emo when nobody believes you.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Don't be such an asshole, Stefen.  This is why we don't get new members.

P is the only one who said anything negative about you, btw.  I think you're getting defensive about whether or not people believe you.  You're welcome to hang out here.  We started as a PT forum, which is why everyone is so jazzed about this screenplay.

Stefen

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 03, 2010, 01:49:51 PM
Don't be such an asshole, Stefen.  This is why we don't get new members.

Get the fuck outta here. I'm pretty much the only one who ever welcomes new members who come to talk film, not just to defend themselves and talk shit.

forizzer69

Quote from: Stefen on February 03, 2010, 01:25:30 PM
Problem solved.

Post the whole thing. If you don't, you're just a narcissistic blogger making up shit and then getting all emo when nobody believes you.
lol. Actually, I noticed something about the screenshot I took... the page has been scanned. The whole right side of it has a burn mark from the scanner, so you know, I can't make that kind of effect on my computer. Or are you now saying I printed that page out and scanned it?  :yabbse-grin:

Thanks Karate. Yeah, perhaps I am, but it's still frustrating. But sure, I'm probably exaggerating this in my mind. However, The Playlist and those people got on my ass too. And then a few people here. And then people commenting on my blog and a few other posts out there questioning my validity. Bleh. Anyways, thanks again for the invite. I do love me some PTA (There Will Be Blood is my favourite film, so maybe I'd get along around here, haha)

Pozer

LOL@page 9. Regular's prediction post didnt see it coming.

Stefers IS the friendly Walmart greeter of this joint.

forizzer69er, i appreciate your reporting, but how were you unaware that you are the only one who's reported? every other site that's reported on it reports on yours. looks like it's bloody as hell rare. i dont think even PSH has seen a copy.

©brad

Not to belabor this, but I'd just like to reiterate a point P made earlier. By posting 3-4 consecutive pages, us PTA freaks will be able to determine whether the script is real or not, as no one on this planet is more versed in his style and all that is PTA than us. I fail to see what you stand to lose from doing this. We're not asking for the whole script, just a few more pages.

Also I'm not insinuating that you're lying to us. I'm sure you think it's real, but just because you're sure doesn't make it so. 

Stefen

Basically, we're all giant PTA dorks and can spot authentic PTA'isms. If you can too then you'll fit right in.

Pubrick

Quote from: forizzer69 on February 03, 2010, 12:08:42 PM
Why hello. Um, I took a screenshot of any random page just to show that I had it. If I posted the first few pages, one would also insinuate that I would have just written that as well. It's irrelevant to post pages upon pages; people will always be skeptical.

don't flatter yourself, i'm not suggesting you wrote the thing yourself, i don't think anyone could make the case for that. what needs to be seen beyond a reasonable doubt (here in the court of Xixax) is that it's not a fake written by someone who has fooled you. read what Cbrad wrote, and i did on the previous page, if you post the first few pages - the first scene let's say - it would be more revelatory and non-spoilerful than a random snippet of dialogue from the middle of the story. IF the first few pages reveal nothing, i will gladly step aside and leave the legitimacy of the script as doubtful until we source our own complete copy.

I try to outguess him? What? No... I ascertained an impression from the story and what PTA strove to achieve in theme. That's what I took from it. Please enlighten me about your perception of said script because you seem to have it figured... which is amazing for a guy that hasn't read it.

you try to outguess him by saying what he would and wouldn't do with the script. it's a draft at best, from the sounds of it, if dialogue is missing and it's full of spelling mistakes (that's normal in early drafts). your take on "what PTA drives at" is only as valid as your previous understanding of his films. since we hav nothing to go on besides a couple of comments near the end of your review, your take on his themes is pretty much irrelevant. i appreciate it's your first script review so you may not be aware there is a long history of script reviewers (especially from LatinoReviews) being completely asinine and hardly capable of analyzing a birthday card let alone a script supposedly written by one of the best.

Scientology isn't in the title. There is no title page to it. It starts off with 1952 underlined at the top of page one. The file name I got it under was, as you would have seen in the picture, UntitledScientology_Anderson. I called it UNTITLED SCIENTOLOGY for a reason.

that's really good news.

He does leave you thinking, no? He makes you wonder what happens to his characters in their perennial story; the one that continues even after the last frame ends. There Will Be Blood, Boogie Nights and Magnolia had endings where you could speculate. Punch Drunk Love and Sydney [Hard Eight] are the two that are essentially defined with how they end. So alright "trademark" may have been too strong a word. Oh well.

that's hardly a trademark of anything. this is the kind of thing i was talking about. script reviews of unproduced films should be more like REPORTS, they should leave personal opinion as far out of it as possible. what you have mistaken for a trademark is actually a HALLMARK of a good storyteller. it means that any good story should do what you describe. that's great that you noticed PTA writes good stories, and that the writer of this screenplay seems to have got that basic technique down, but it's not a trademark by any definition of the word.

PTA trademark that could be revealed in the opening pages may be:
-initial letter capitalisation of each word in a key phrase where there is dialouge.

i won't reveal anymore until i see the thing but most aficionados here should know from other scripts he's written. he doesn't change his writing style. another thing that isn't a trademark, again it's a HALLMARK, would be that the first 15 pages MUST introduce the themes of the story efficiently. the presence of that would go a long way to show that the script was at least written by a professional. but since you seem confused about the exact theme or themes of the story, apart from something as vague as "identity", it suggests this isn't a very refined script (as in by an unrefined writer) or you are not a very refined reader. the VERY first thing a writer tries to perfect is the theme, and it's done in the first 15 minutes of any film.
under the paving stones.

forizzer69

Alright, alright. I get you guys now. To P who wrote the lengthiest and most eyeopening response: Thanks, I get what you mean now. Sure, sure, I'll post 4 pages in a row to enlighten you guys on the matter and all that. I understand what you mean by leaving personal opinion out of it, but if I'm going to spend time putting together insight and a lengthy synopsis, I feel I'll devote a section to how one would interpret it. I thought the theme he was driving at was very competently construction even as a first draft. I don't imagine there'd be too many revisions because the whole religion philosophy is essential to the story; almost everything drives to what I was explaining. But perhaps I did jump the gun, but I'm in no way attempting to outguess him.

I know it's arduous if you're not looking for opinion, but there's a bit more plot unearthed in my opinion (as I'm sure you know). Plus I thought it was pretty obvious as to what he was digging at, so to explain that hardly seemed harmful. In fact I thought it would prove that I had it because there was more depth and understanding, haha. Oh and there isn't much missing, I tried to make that clear on a revision. There are only about 3 instances of him going "Add Dialogue" in menial areas, like tertiary characters speaking to one and other on a cruise. But maybe Anderson is notorious for changing a lot throughout drafts, so I wouldn't know.

To the guy that said I should have been more aware about the script's rareness/lack of reviews... well, I didn't go off and google to see. I just figured because I'm hardly anyone special that bigger and more well known people on the internet would have gotten it and read it. I know it sounds even worse of me to say this, but I had the script in my possession for a good couple of days before I 'flipped' the first page. Even if the person giving it to me got it fresh, that still would've given room for others to read and review it.

Here's a string of pages:

There you go... make of it as you wish.

Stefen

I buy it a lot more now.