The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Didn't jive?  What more do you want from the album that brought us such choice singles:

Two of Us
Dig a Pony
Across The Universe
I Me Mine
Dig It
Let It Be
Maggie Mae
I've Got a Feeling
One After 909
The Long And Winding Road
For You Blue
Get Back

And that's even considering a very thorough editing process where I eliminated all my least favorite songs from the album.
Quote from: Pas Rap on September 18, 2009, 03:16:22 PM
yeah let it be is really good. Except the song Let it Be. That one and Yesterday are two of the most annoying songs ever. When I see someone with a guitar in a party and he starts playing either of these two songs I know he's a fool

So Let It Be is a shitty song because people overplay it?  I wonder what drives them to overplay it (not to say that by virtue of being overplayed necessarily means it's a good song, but I digress).
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

Pas and Big Ideas are starting to get on my nerves.

Walrus hit the nail on the head.

God damnit I'm angry
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Quote from: SiliasRuby on September 18, 2009, 05:15:33 PM
Pas and Big Ideas are starting to get on my nerves.

Walrus hit the nail on the head.

God damnit I'm angry

I'll go you one better. So, The Breeders open for the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, and Kim Deal announces they are going to do a Beatles song. They proceed to do a pretty good version of Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

The yahoos behind me:

Douche #1: She said they were going to do a Beatles song. That's not a Beatles song.
Douche #2: I dunno. Maybe it was one of their older ones.
Douche #1: I don't think so.

Douche #1 also proceeded to make fun of Kim Deal's weight whenever he got the chance. I felt like turning 'round and telling him, "When you make better music that the Pixies did, then you can talk that shit." But I just bit my tongue knowing that he probably has no idea who the Pixies are.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 18, 2009, 07:53:58 PM

Douche #1 also proceeded to make fun of Kim Deal's weight whenever he got the chance. I felt like turning 'round and telling him, "When you make better music that the Pixies did, then you can talk that shit." But I just bit my tongue knowing that he probably has no idea who the Pixies are.

I met this guy at a party once who made the tossed off comment that "Kim Deal is a junkie and she sucks at bass".

I spent the rest of the night berating him for being wrong on both counts. Other than that comment, his taste in film and music otherwise mirrored mine. Proving that there's no correlation between liking good things and not being a terrible person. I imagine those two douches talking shit about Deal will also attend the upcoming Doolittle shows - so will the guy I met at the party.

I can emphasize with what Pas and Big are saying, though I can't agree with it. I do think you can hear a song enough that it becomes too ubiquitous to connect to critically or emotionally. I might have no reason to listen to Let It Be (the song) or Yesterday as often as I do, say, the last half of Abbey Road - but it doesn't discredit their brilliance.

Further example: Blowin' In The Wind, deceptively simple and successfully succinct... but I'll probably never willfully put it on and listen to it.I've heard it enough. I've heard about it enough, it's cultural repetition devalues my excitement for it, but doesn't devalue the song itself.

I'll take New Morning instead.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 18, 2009, 07:53:58 PM

I'll go you one better. So, The Breeders open for the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, and Kim Deal announces they are going to do a Beatles song. They proceed to do a pretty good version of Happiness Is A Warm Gun.

Good: Breeders cover Happiness is a Warm Gun.
Bad: They're opening for Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
Ugly: Audience member(s) unaware of one of the best Beatles songs.
Ugliest: They're so soaked in their own ignorance that they vocalize it to each other.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

tpfkabi

I don't think I ever said Let it Be was bad, I just said it's not really a Beatles album (in the same way Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour aren't).

All albums they "worked" on together include a Ringo song (love it or hate it).

I downloaded that link this past weekend. I was disappointed that it was MP3's and not the original wav files. Of course, that file would have been a lot bigger (a 80 min CD is 750 mb i think and that download was 800 something mb all together zipped).

I burned a copy of Sgt Pepper's and unfortunately I didn't uncheck that 1 second lead in so the tracks are broken up with silence.

I did seem to notice the bass more especially during Paul's part on A Day in the Life. I haven't done an apt comparison between my old and the new (and I don't know that I truly can with an mp3 rip).

I don't think the stereo remasters will do much more for me as I actually used to listen to all the Beatles albums on headphones giving all my attention to them, so the mono box set is still what intrigues me.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

I'm with you, bigideas, when it comes that 'yellow submarine' isn't really a beatles album but the others are, even though all three of them were essentially soundtracks. 'Yellow submarine' has the title track and 'its all too much' as decent songs but the rest are orchestral just for the movie, which is extremely surreal if you've seen it. 'Let it be' is a maligned beatles album but a LP just the same. Its better to listen to 'let it be naked' if you want to listen to what the paul and George Martin wanted for the production. 'Magical Mystery Tour' is a strange but ultimately bad art film that really goes nowhere. The album 'MMT' however is something you can listen to over and over again and will be just a great collection of songs even if you haven't seen the movie. I listened to 'magical mystery tour' for years and years before subjecting myself to the film, which is an exercise in absurdity.

'An exercise in absurdity'? Marquee that.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

I mean it's not an album in that MMT was actually an EP - it was only an LP in America where they added the singles at the time - Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, etc.

It is an album in the sense that someone released it as an entity together, but not in the musical sense.

A greatest hits album is an 'album,' but not really an album as far as the band it represents.

I'm a musician, so I'm looking at it from that perspective.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideas on September 21, 2009, 01:08:14 PM

oh god, i'd hate to see you performing or rehearsing. do you find it hard stopping every 4 seconds to ask everyone around you what key to play in? or to ask everyone if they can hear you alrite? "strum... strum.. can anyone hear me?.. strum.. strum.. does this sound ok?" you should call your band The Kiddy Riddlers.. you'd be huge among the amnesiac/clueless crowd, with such hit songs as "Nothing but a Q thang", "I Just Called to Ask You Something", and "Can You Feel the Question Mark Tonight.."
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Quote from: :P on September 21, 2009, 11:15:58 PM
Quote from: bigideas on September 21, 2009, 01:08:14 PM

oh god, i'd hate to see you performing or rehearsing. do you find it hard stopping every 4 seconds to ask everyone around you what key to play in? or to ask everyone if they can hear you alrite? "strum... strum.. can anyone hear me?.. strum.. strum.. does this sound ok?" you should call your band The Kiddy Riddlers.

yeah. then refuse to perform for a year and come back like you're the undead Lennon when in reality you were just a fairly interesting musician from time to time.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

and if you want to branch out to the sleepy crowd.. bring in special guest Reinhold, aka Narcolepoleon Boreaparte.

make a duet album called "Sleep Now, Ask Questions Later."
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

keep reaching for that snooze button.
under the paving stones.

Reinhold

what the fuck does sharing a vaguely on-topic belittling fantasy of somebody you've presumably never met on the internet contribute to a conversation? where's the conversation supposed to go from there? sure, i say stupid shit and i've sleepily killed more than a few threads, but at least i'm not doing that by being a dick.

what do you think of the magical mystery tour?

i, for one, happen to like every song on the album, but i wouldn't be upset to hear it on shuffle.  this and sgt pepper were on a lot in my childhood so the sounds were familiar but i never really looked into the lyrics until after i had already gotten into their other major works... the ones that are more cohesive... i can see why it'd feel like a collection of songs given the unified feel of some of their albums (even Help, for example, is underrated as an album because it often gets dissected into singles, but i find that i like the songs a lot more individually when i listen to the whole thing..)

polkablues

I never thought of the Beatles as a band that people actually listen to... More like something that just exists in the collective unconscious of the Western world, like "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," or "Itsy Bitsy Spider," but for grownups. I also just realized I don't have a single Beatles song on my iPod. Huh. That seems weird, now that I think about it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?  :yabbse-smiley: 
My house, my rules, my coffee