The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

Drenk

OH MY GOD IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST EPISODES I HAVE EVER SEEN OH AND THAT ENDING I AM CRYING ON MY BED.
Ascension.

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Agreed, this was a remarkable episode, one that demands a rewatch.

Beyond the things you mentioned, Audrey's purgatory (maybe?) and the suicide in the woods (maybe?) are the kinds of Lynch scenes I really love.

The volume is being turned up...

Drenk

I have no idea of what's going on with Audrey because the people she talks about to Charlie were mentioned in some of the Roadhouse scenes. And what happens in the Roadhouse seems to be in the real Twin Peaks. So...
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

It's a psychological purgatory if nothing else. Her dialogue with Charlie has been one of the most captivating and mind-bending things this season, done just through dialogue.

Richard Horne seems to speak of Audrey in the present tense, so I do think she's alive, not in an actual purgatory.

Drenk

I mean, the whole situation with Charlie—even if we're in Twin Peaks—can't be happening in "reality". She also doesn't remember where the Roadhouse is. She's either lost in her mind or suffered brain damage.
Ascension.

The Ultimate Badass

The Audrey scenes strike me as very meta. I get the impression that these scenes are a cinematic stream-of-consciousness of the writers' (I don't know know if it's Frost or Lynch, so I'll assume it's an amalgam of both) creative process. It's like these are the actual mental vignettes conjured inside their minds while struggling to write Audrey's character into the show. Initially it's a formless dialogue about nothing -- a bunch of irrelevant references to unknown people and curious reactions. Incrementally we're seeing these scenes flesh out and, at least hint to, become something integral.

I think Charlie is initially there simply to give Audrey someone to interact with, bounce off of. He's the writers' proxy. He may be evolving into something more, but maybe not. Maybe he will remain as the proxy for the writers and maybe that role will grow as we head into the end of this series. The push and shove between him and Audrey are uncannily like the internal push and shove between a writer and a character he is trying to write. Any writers here agree?

Episode 8 was a tour-de-force devoted to the origins of the show's mythos. I'm thinking in these Audrey scenes we're seeing the origins of the show itself.

Drenk

To me, it is about the impossibility to act. You know they are not leaving the house and you are about to hear them talking their way around action. And it goes to what I meant with that Wallace quote. A part of the season is about building up to something that is not happening, in a way. Why would they spend so much time giving what seems to be an epiphany to Dougie without bringing Cooper back? Even if, as JB said, it is leading somewhere. And stuff is happening. But it is happening as if nothing was happening too.
Ascension.

Drenk

Ascension.

Sleepless

Another amazing episode. I'm so in love with everything, I practically sit on the edge of my sit with a gigantic grin across my face from start to finish. We're in Happy Land now. From the Rancho Rosa logo in Twin Peaks blue and green, to the extended theme music over the sequence of Cooper's awakening and everything that followed, it was just wonderful. I was curious how they were going to handle Cooper's return with reconciling everything in the Dougie storyline, and although it remains to be seen how things will ultimately conclude, so far I'm very happy with everything that's happened with Janey-E, Sonny Jim, and Bushnell - and the scene with the Mitchum brothers in the limo, "hearts of gold" was itself gold. Finally Candy got her redemption. Beautiful stuff. I want a framed print of Diane in the Red Room. The stakeout turned shootout was a glorious extended aside - bloody, unexpected, and batshit bonkers - it was such a joy. And of course, Audrey. People have debated her part in proceedings, but she finally made it to the roadhouse. Lynch playing with our expectations again. But our attention is split with the lyrics of the song "and I am who I am, who I was I will never be again" we assume a reference to Dougie-cum-Cooper. But maybe not after all. When the announcer introduced Audrey's Dance, we were elevated to another place entirely. Super meta, but also sent a tingle down everyone's spine, I'm sure. And then that brief final shot - instantly made me think of Josie Packard. I'm really bummed that this is all wrapping up next week, but they have so much to pack into two hours, it's going to be a blast from start to finish. Right now, the thing I'm most looking forward to is a Cooper-Cole reunion. I really don't want this to end.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah. What an exhilarating episode. This was definitely happening to me:

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 27, 2017, 11:30:51 PMIn some moments I couldn't believe what I was seeing because my dreams were being so thoroughly fulfilled.

I imagine next week will be a similar experience.

This episode continued the motif of bad guys being dispatched in completely unceremonious and sudden ways. That's turning out to be a theme of the season, actually — these people don't deserve glory.

I really have a feeling we'll be more patient with this season on rewatch. In the Dougie scenes, I won't be wondering when or if Cooper will wake up. Instead, I'll be thinking about what he said when he left Janey-E and Sonny Jim: "You've made my heart so full."

jenkins

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 29, 2017, 05:38:27 PM
I really have a feeling we'll be more patient with this season on rewatch.

never before in my adult life have i wanted to rewatch a tv series. no one in my adult life has ever heard me say that. i barely watch a tv series the first time (not counting cartoons or Tales from the Crypt) and i barely rewatch movies (except after the 7 year cellular reset). but i totally want to go back and rewatch this series of Twin Peaks. h'angry for the blu-ray.

honestly i haven't been following most story threads on my first watch, and i would follow them better the second time. but like everything there are pros/cons here. because during the rewatch the show's subtleties will sink in for me, but what will be replaced? the holes my imagination have filled. do i want Lynch's imagination to replace my own? only Lynch would me think such a thing (maybe kinda).

tpfkabi

I guess Lynch has never heard of Beach House or Blonde Redhead. Both have a bit of shoegaze and seem  like they would fit well.

Someone earlier in the thread said they were interested in all Lynch except The Elephant Man. See it. It's great.

I'm looking forward to the 2 hour finale. Can they really make sense of all of the seemingly random scenes throughout this season? Not sure.

I wonder how many people have seen a movie called The Hidden (1987) starring Kyle MacLachlan as an FBI agent. I had never heard of it until recently. It just happened to be on TV and the synopsis sounded cool enough to DVR. I'm glad I did. I didn't really know anything about it and it was a pleasant surprise.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Fernando

If I had to summarize these 16 episodes I would just say that Lynch with total freedom is a beautiful thing. 

It's already bittersweet that this remarkable weird journey ends today.

Quote from: Sleepless on August 28, 2017, 08:37:00 AM
I want a framed print of Diane in the Red Room.

Yes, when Diane opened her mouth I thought the bug from episode 8 would get out.

Cooper finally waking made me so happy, I can't wait to see him reunited with Gordon.

Drenk

Ascension.