The Creative Screenwriting interview with Paul

Started by Robyn, April 02, 2010, 03:51:55 PM

Robyn

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

max from fearless

Here's the a book with a whole bunch of Creative Screenwriting interviews with Paul, Quentin, Pedro and a whole lot of other, great filmmaking cats. Enjoy.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/iivjuz

jerome

haha when i opened the .pdf and saw shyamalan's giant fucking face i thought it was a rick roll of some sort. anyway, thank you for the link!

matt35mm

P Heat

taking a long shot here reviving this thread... but the link doesn't work  :yabbse-undecided:

if it's an interview of PTA in 2009 or above I definitely would like to read it. I tried google and no luck...
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

polkablues

I would also like to acquire this file, if someone who downloaded it the first time around wouldn't mind re-upping it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

It works!

I wonder what this script fragment was...

Do you feel it's important that your next film be markedly different from Boogie Nights? No. I think it's important that I resist being influenced by people who encour- age me to make another Boogie Nights type of movie though, and I want to put the proper pair of horse blinders on. I try not to second guess my instincts, and at the moment I'm writing a part for Luis Guzman. As the character has developed, I've realized I'm basically writing Maurice [Guzman's character in Boogie Nights] again. Part of me says, "wait a minute—you're writing Mau- rice again," but another part of me wants to explore this character more— maybe because Maurice got shortchanged in Boogie Nights. The new script is set in 1997, so maybe this is Maurice twenty years later.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

P Heat

thanks for the link guys :yabbse-grin:

and yea I was thinking maybe its guzman's character in  PDL but I'm not sure.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pubrick

about that guzman segment..

the interview doesn't make it easy to figure out when the questions were asked.. the beginning of his section introduces the setting as "on the eve of magnolia's release" but the actual interview is made up of two separate pieces which the article states took place in 1998 and 2000. this means that the introduction to the whole thing, framed as "on the eve of magnolia's release" is actually taken from the introduction to the magnolia interview (2000), and since it goes on to state that it wasn't until LATE 1998 that the script for magnolia was finished, there is a bit of time travel directly following it as it launches into a PRE-magnolia interview.

this is corroborated by the noticeable split in the questions between the first half being entirely focused on boogie nights and the second which deals with magnolia.

so since his comments about guzman are within the boogie nights section of the interview i would say he's talking about Luis Guzman as Luis in magnolia.
under the paving stones.

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cronopio 2

i like that the cover makes it look like an obituary for m night .