doing it right for the wrong reasons?

Started by Sal, August 06, 2003, 04:52:02 AM

Gamblour.

Quote from: kotteMore life lived equals better movies right?

Think of it like this: I sure as hell wouldn't want Doogie Howser slicing me open.
WWPTAD?

subversiveproductions

a seventeen year-old's observations on life are just that: the observations of a seventeen-year old.  it doesn't mean he doesn't have an important perspective on life; it just means that it's a seventeen year-old perspective and that  people of other age groups might not identify with it.  I wouldn't watch Blue's Clues for money, but my 4 year-old cousin gobbles it up.  It's all about the target demographic.  As far as art goes, fuck defining it.
see: duchamp
see also: yves klein
see also: bruce nauman
see also: damien hirst
www.bloodlessriot.blogspot.com
let me pour my heart out to you strangers.

www.anewnothing.com
smile from ear to blood-dripping ear

blah

BUMP.  whoops.

err... alright, i just registered on this forum.  found it while i was trying to get more information on this movie.

well, i actually know jesse harris in real life.  i went to middle school and i goto the same high school with him right now.  and yes, he has a very skewed view of life.  im not saying that i know everything about life, but you can just tell by his character that he knows absolutely nothing.  he lives his life as a prep kid that has a german shephard, blah blah blah.  it's almost as if hes living a TV show.  he's rich as fuck - well, at least richer than i am.  no way could i ever pull $30,000+ out of a college fund - i mean, jesus christ, i can't believe he sacrificed higher learning for a movie that would've been delayed for maybe a few months.

i actually used to be this guys friend.  he then went on to backstab me and made friends with the other asshole upper class white people in my school.  i know, its a bit childish to say all this crap, but it really shows what his view of life really is.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: blahi actually used to be this guys friend.  he then went on to backstab me and made friends with the other asshole upper class white people in my school.  i know, its a bit childish to say all this crap, but it really shows what his view of life really is.
fuck this kid...like I said, he will be in rehab sooner than later.  Your comments make me realize I don't feel bad for talkin' shit about his ass.

ps. Welcome aboard...stay but a while, and show us some of yer style.

blah

yeah... this forum seems interesting enough :D

metroshane

Holy Shit...I couldn't make it past the first page of this thread for all the bitter jealous bullshit.  Someone tell me please that at least someone is on this kid's side.

Bunch of snobs. :roll:

Good for you kid.  Let me know if you need help.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

kotte

Quote from: metroshaneHoly Shit...I couldn't make it past the first page of this thread for all the bitter jealous bullshit.  Someone tell me please that at least someone is on this kid's side.

Bunch of snobs. :roll:

Good for you kid.  Let me know if you need help.

If you actually listened to what we wrote you would realize we're not jealous snobs. If you think what he's going through is good for a child then I guess you're not big on realizing stuff.

metroshane

QuoteIf you actually listened to what we wrote you would realize we're not jealous snobs. If you think what he's going through is good for a child then I guess you're not big on realizing stuff.

As I said, I couldn't make it past the first page.  And I challenge you to show me anything worth while or productive/constructive on that first page.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Link

kotte

Quote from: So NowThenI guess that rules out his films being interesting

I don't know is this is constructive/productive but I think what we've written boils down to this.

And what the fuck do you mean by jealous snobs by the way??? There are many young directors out there we would or should be jealous of,  PTA (in his mid 20s when he made Hard Eight) or The Coen Brothers who were in their 20s when they wrote Blood Simple.

How can it be a good thing to do what he's doing at his age? But I guess you're right...it worked out well for Macaulay Culkin.

metroshane

QuoteI don't know is this is constructive/productive but I think what we've written boils down to this.

If I'm not mistaken, this was in reference to him liking Spielberg.  How can anyone claim that none of spielberg's films are interesting?  That's just elistest snobbery at it's finest.

QuoteAnd what the fuck do you mean by jealous snobs by the way??? There are many young directors out there we would or should be jealous of, PTA (in his mid 20s when he made Hard Eight) or The Coen Brothers who were in their 20s when they wrote Blood Simple.

OK, then.  What should you call it when you haven't seen this kid's films, don't know anything about him...just harp on how he doesn't deserve this opportunity.  Why doesn't he deserve it?  Why doesn't he deserve the money to do it with?  You can't fault him for using his resourses.  Anyone would.

QuoteHow can it be a good thing to do what he's doing at his age? B
ut I guess you're right...it worked out well for Macaulay Culkin.

How can you at once support young directors (see above) and then compare young folks to Macauly Culkin in the next paragraph.  This is a very weak argument.

Sorry but you're not convincing me.

SoNowThen

Quote from: metroshane
QuoteI don't know is this is constructive/productive but I think what we've written boils down to this.

If I'm not mistaken, this was in reference to him liking Spielberg.  How can anyone claim that none of spielberg's films are interesting?  That's just elistest snobbery at it's finest.

Hahaha. All 'Berg fans get so jittery when you don't like their master. "You must be a snob. Only a SNOB could not like him. Only a SNOB could not see the brilliance in Lost World. SNOB! Fucking SNOB!!"

Nazi. Chill out. I could call you a child for liking him, but I don't. I don't care if you do or not, but seriously, enough with this "If you don't like 'Berg you're a snob" shit. If you're using that as your hard line standard for snobbery, then you are the biggest facist snob of them all.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

metroshane

Read it again.  I'm not a huge Spielberg fan and I didn't say that you are a snob if you don't like him.  I said to blanketly pronounce all his work as boring and to further say someone who likes him will never produce anything interesting is the highest form of snobbery.  It's just as bad as what you described...which I can't for the life of me understand how you drew that parrellel.  I don't believe I implied that at all.

And furthermore, from your usage, I gather you haven't the slightest understanding of facism or Nazis.  You can attack me ad hominem all you want, but I'm still waiting for a valid reason to dismiss this kid.

SoNowThen

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: Onomatopoeia
QuoteCareer objective: To be a successful movie director and win an Oscar

Favorite movies ever made: "October Sky," "Finding Forrester"

Favorite director: Steven Spielberg
*shakes head*

Yeah, exactly. I guess that rules out his films being interesting. Oh well, good for the kid anyway, that he's got a production going.

Read what was written again. Maybe if you do it slowly in will sink in.

I think Finding Forrester is a pile, I've rarely-cum-never been interested in 'Berg movies, and if your blinding ambition in cinema is to win an Oscar, I find that a petty mark to set. Now maybe this article just took out the simple points of what the kid said, but reading it makes him sound like a twat to me, and this movie he's proposing is not one I would be excited to see.

And yet, notice the OH WELL, GOOD FOR THE KID ANYWAY part?

And where did I say "someone who likes him will never produce anything interesting"? Put some more words in our mouths...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

metroshane

QuoteAnd where did I say "someone who likes him will never produce anything interesting"? Put some more words in our mouths...

Sorry, I was confused by...

QuoteYeah, exactly. I guess that rules out his films being interesting.