Movie confessions!

Started by Sigur Rós, May 29, 2003, 09:10:40 AM

godardian

Quote from: pookiethecat

godardian- you rock my world.  we should have a discussion about queer cinema some time.

You start the topic, I'll be there. I've written pretty extensively on the topic, and it's definitely something I think is worth discussing. Maybe we can fight over how much I think Gregg Araki sucks.  :)
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Cecil

Quote from: godardianI think the Kinsey scale is a reasonable model for human sexuality; zero to six, zero being if you've never had even an inkling of desire for your own sex and six being if you've never had even an inkling of desire for the opposite sex.

i think i would be a 2

pookiethecat

whoa, holy shit.  i just realized i completely misunderstood ebeaman's post..
i wanna lick 'em.

pookiethecat

well, something important to know is that i'm a girl.  hence the name pookie and my love for laura nyro's beautiful countenance (see avatar).lol.

that said, i have seen my fair share of male homosexuality cinema.  some of it sucks (bedroom and hallways), some is cute and charming but slight (get real), and some of it is wonderful and touches me for weeks afterwards(urbania).

for obvious reasons, i have sought out more lesbian movies.  fucking amal, high art, and sister my sister rank among my favorites in the genre of queer cinema.    

but what first, does everyone qualify as exactly "queer cinema"  (whcih i include lesbian movies under) ?  because the term can mean many different things to different people.  

in my view, queer cinema includes any movie whose images or themes are made with the specific intent of being shown to gay and lesbian audiences to appeal to their desires.

yet it is also noteable that so many queer cinema endings are filled with death and tragedy.  why is that?
i wanna lick 'em.

Cecil

Quote from: godardianI think Gregg Araki sucks.  :)

i wish i could see more of his films. ive only seen doom generation, which was so-so.... bad in an enjoyable way, splendor which was okay for what it was and nowhere which was amazing.

i guess you dont like bret easton ellis either, i find araki and him have a similar style. though ellis is more mature about it

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. demented
Quote from: godardianI think Gregg Araki sucks.  :)

i wish i could see more of his films. ive only seen doom generation, which was so-so.... bad in an enjoyable way, splendor which was okay for what it was and nowhere which was amazing.

i guess you dont like bret easton ellis either, i find araki and him have a similar style. though ellis is more mature about it

Ellis has perpetual aren't-I-a-naughty-boy syndrome, but he has a little more panache and humor than Araki to what he does.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: ebeaman
Quote from: godardian
Quote from: pookiethecat"And if Julianne Moore, Gillian Anderson, or Naomi Watts were ever to proposition me (in my dreams), I'd be willing to reconsider the whole guys-only thing. Nobody would have to threaten me with my life or anything. It's called the Kinsey scale, people."

is godardian a chick or a gay guy?   :?:

This is not the first such Crying-Game like query...  :lol:  Always cracks me up. It's the latter.

Let me just ask a completely fucking rude personal question...are you bi or gay? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm not homophobic at all, seriously...that's the rudest question I've ever asked...I was just curious.

Well... Brett Anderson of Suede once said he was a bisexual man who had never had a homosexual experience. I'd say the same, but change homosexual to heterosexual.

Meaning this: I can completely appreciate and respond to the sexuality of women and how attractive they can be, but I'm mainly attracted to men, and that's the gender of the people I've had romantic/sexual relationships with. It's common to assume that the reason someone is gay is that they're repulsed by the opposite sex, but that's not usually true. I think it's unlikely that I would ever have sex with a woman, but I wouldn't rule it out.

I think the Kinsey scale is a reasonable model for human sexuality; zero to six, zero being if you've never had even an inkling of desire for your own sex and six being if you've never had even an inkling of desire for the opposite sex. I think if we're honest, we can admit that most of us fall somewhere in between, and our sexual behavior (as distinct from our sexual thoughts/reactions) merely reflects the way we lean most heavily, not our entire sexual identity, which would be too exhausting for most of us to act on. The people on or closer to the middle of the Kinsey scale are what we'd refer to as patently "bisexual." I'd put myself at a 4 or 5, but I've definitely been turned on by women at times.

I'm a complicated human being, just like you or anybody else. I think homos who can't acknowledge the sexual attributes and desirability of the opposite sex are being overly simplistic for political reasons and are just as immature and insecure as heteros who can't acknowledge someone of their own sex that they might find sexually attractive. I have a quite heterosexual male friend who's only ever been with women who says that he'd totally do George Clooney, given the chance. I think this means less that he sexually fantasizes about George Clooney than that he's not afraid to acknowledge that he thinks George Clooney is one hell of an attractive man. Same with me and the women I mentioned.

While I can certainly admit that many men are handsome (I mean, beauty is beauty, right?), you can give me a zero. Absolutely no sexual attraction for my own sex. None. But I also have no sexual attraction for ugly females, either. Like overly fat chicks, just not sexually aroused in any way. I am tres picky, and tres unrealistic, and believe the best looking women look like those Superhero girls, or chicks from an Archie comic. Basically Playboy bunnies. And the faker, the better, I say. Especially fake tits. Man, Godardian, even you gotta admit, is there anything possibly nicer than a female breast? Really? I think a mother of a friend once said that guys like me are the reason so many girls are anorexic and have terribly low self-esteem. Guilty as charged!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

started a QUEER CINEMA thread in case you want to talk over there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

I hope nobody hates me now. It's less a chauvinistic attitude than it is a deification of what I have come to know as "the perfect female body". For an example, go to the Hard Rock Hotel poolside.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: pookiethecat

for obvious reasons, i have sought out more lesbian movies.  fucking amal, high art, and sister my sister rank among my favorites in the genre of queer cinema.    

I love Sister my Sister. How 'bout I Shot Andy Warhol?

There has now been a thread devoted to this discussion, though... so we should probably move the queer-cinema conversation (whatever anyone's definition of that is) over there...

pookiethecat

who gives a shit. you're just stating an opinion.  fake tits are fake tits.  

that said, i find them pretty disgusting.  then again, i'm not really into the kind of women who get breast implants to begin with. it's a sign of sleaze and superficiality that i can't get past to even be physically attracted to.  
plus it's like...mutant.  i'm surprised there hasn't been a pulp movie called "attack of the killer tits."  there has to be some ed wood out there willing to make it.
i wanna lick 'em.

Cecil

i dont find large breasts very attractive myself.

SoNowThen

See, here it comes. What can I say? Maybe I'm a perv....

And it's not just the big breasts, it's also super-tiny bodies, little toned arms and flat stomachs. Long blond hair. Aaarrrghhh. I feel like the Uncle in Amarcord stuck up a tree, crying for a woman.

Sleuth

more confessions

I usually don't know what you people are talking about

I usually don't know what I am talking about
I like to hug dogs

©brad

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI said fine, I'll eat these fries, try them out.

hahaha. u kinda sound like forrest gump there. funny.