The Aviator

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2003, 01:29:35 PM

Arnzilla

Who's the DP? C'mon, spill it!

edit: Never mind, it's Robert Richardson.

modage

Laresca, Shilton & Spinder Join Scorsese's Aviator
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Thursday, July 17, 2003

Vincent Laresca, Justin Shilton and Brent Spiner have been added to the cast of The Aviator for director Martin Scorsese. The film, about the early life of Howard Hughes, stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Alec Baldwin, Kate Beckinsale and Cate Blanchett.

Laresca is playing Jorge, Howard Hughes' protector and right-hand man. Shilton is playing a young test pilot, while Spiner is playing Robert Gross, the president of aircraft company Lockheed.

Also joining the film is Chris Ufland as one of Hughes' engineers.

for anyone else going "who the fuck are they talking about?"

LarescaShilton
Spiner
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02Laresca, Shilton & Spinder Join Scorsese's Aviator
with those pictures, i care less.. sheesh, talk about unknowns.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Arnzilla

If it's bigger names you want, how about Willem Dafoe and Ian Holm?

modage

The Aviator: Additional casting has taken place on Martin Scorsese's upcoming Howard Hughes biopic and 'Pax's Pilots' has a breakdown of who and what role they play - "Ian Holm, Willem Dafoe, Alan Alda, Frances Conroy, Rufus Wainwright, and Josie Maran have joined the cast. Alda will play Owen Brewster, a U.S. Senator whom Howard Hughes accused of blackmail, while Conroy will play the mother of Katherine Hepburn. Rufus Wainwright will be a singer at the famed Cocoanut Grove nightclub and Josie Maran will play a woman who has an affair with Hughes". Shooting is happening in Canada throughout the rest of the year.

modage

a small picture of Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes and to his right, the real Howard Hughes.

Pozer

that's pretty damn good

Ghostboy

Josie Maran is scorchin.'

www.josiemaran.de

Gamblour.

Quote from: GhostboyJosie Maran is scorchin.'

www.josiemaran.de

Dear gentle Jesus....that is simply holy. It is actually making me physically sick how gorgeous she is.

Time to open up Kazaa...
WWPTAD?

Gamblour.

Oh, and Leo looks kick ass as Hughes
WWPTAD?

atticus jones

Quote from: P
Quote from: themodernage02Laresca, Shilton & Spinder Join Scorsese's Aviator
with those pictures, i care less.. sheesh, talk about unknowns.

i usually walk out of a flicture and wish at least one of the roles cast with a "name" had been given to an "unknown"...

lame examples...

kurt russell...minority report

julia stlies...bourne identity

ben affleck...see filmography

sumthin bout suspension of disbelief...

unda preciated actors who dont need help suspending disbelief at any cost...

g oldman

a hopkins

dd lewis

ps hoffman

...add to taste
my cause is the cause of a man who has never been defeated, and whose whole being is one all devouring, god given holy purpose

modage

The Aviator Production Update & New Photo!!
Source: Warner Bros. Pictures Friday, September 5, 2003

Martin Scorsese's The Aviator began principal photography July 7 at Mel's Cite du Cinema in Montreal for Initial Entertainment Group. A Forward Pass Inc./ Initial Entertainment Group production starring Leonardo DiCaprio, the film will be distributed in North America by Warner Bros. Pictures/Miramax Films and by Initial internationally.

A Martin Scorsese film, The Aviator stars Leonardo DiCaprio. It is produced by Michael Mann, Sandy Climan, Graham King, and Charles Evans Jr. Mr. Scorsese directs. Exterior sequences will be filmed on locations in Los Angeles.

Cate Blanchett, Kate Beckinsale, John C. Reilly, Alec Baldwin and Jude Law co-star. Featured are Matt Ross, Adam Scott, Danny Huston, Alan Alda, Ian Holm, Kelli Garner and No Doubt's Gwen Stefani.

An original screenplay by John Logan, The Aviator tells the story of aviation pioneer Howard Hughes (DiCaprio), the eccentric billionaire industrialist and Hollywood film mogul, famous for romancing some of the world's most beautiful women. The drama recounts the years of his life from the late 1920s though the 1940s, an epoch when Hughes was directing and producing Hollywood movies and test flying innovative aircraft he designed and created. A daredevil pilot, the most famous flyer since Charles Lindbergh, Hughes became a major force in commercial aviation. He was a mythic figure in the America of his day, imbued with an aura of excitement, glamour and mystery.

The film looks at Hughes' emotional life, and his love affairs with two Hollywood legends, elegant, Yankee-bred screen star Katharine Hepburn in the 1930s, and the sensual and luminous screen beauty of the 1940s, Ava Gardner. It also chronicles Hughes' struggle with his physical disabilities and phobias, and with his increasingly erratic, obsessive-compulsive behavior that leads him ultimately to isolate himself from his associates and withdraw from the world.

Scorsese reunites on The Aviator with several longtime collaborators. Director of Photography is Robert Richardson, the production designer is seven-time Academy Award nominee Dante Ferretti, the costume designer is Academy Award winner Sandy Powell, the set decorator is Francesca Lo Schiavo and the editor is Academy Award winner Thelma Schoonmaker.

Pictured above (click for a bigger version) are Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes and Gwen Stefani as Jean Harlow arriving at the premiere of Hell's Angels at Grauman's Chinese Theatre.

SoNowThen

Quote from: meunda preciated actors who dont need help suspending disbelief at any cost...

g oldman

a hopkins

dd lewis

ps hoffman

...add to taste

I agree with all but Hopkins, who is a ham.

BTW, Marty is king!!!! This flick will (hopefully) be brilliant as are all this wonderful man's films. I am pumped. Pumped!! Glad to see Dafoe back with Saint Martin again.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

I fired up for Aviator also, as with any Scorsese film, but I fucking hate Gwen Stefani.  I could give a shit about her music, she just annoys me in general.  The fact that he cast Josie Maran makes up for it though...kind of.