INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

SailorOfTheSeas

all JG songs apart from Under the Paving Stones and Amethyst! for ur considerashun

Drenk

Under the Paving-Stones and Amethyst are not in the FYC CD, this is surprising; Amethyst, especially, is fantastic. But once again, Greenwood won't be nominated for the Oscars. So...

Ascension.

Ghostboy

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I love the irony that Brett Ratner's company helped finance this.

polkablues

He probably just did it as a favor to me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

DocSportello

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2014/12/17/katherine-waterston-on-her-breakout-role-in-inherent-vice

This morning's interview with Katherine Waterston on the Canadian CBC Radio show "Q". I only just started it and it's sort of a slow interview so far, nothing really new. But just putting it out there since I don't know how many non-Canadian xixaxers would see it.

jenkins

this is the backstory section: not seeing iv at the new bev with pta there and everything is like my hugest movie blunder of the year. like i straight bombed that right there, because i switched work shifts and the long story short is now i have to cry all the time. tonight was my first time back at the new bev since the date when i missed iv. former-owner michael was at the ticket window! i couldn't believe it. that's some side gossip, because maybe you remember earlier this year there was a social scandal at the new bev. ok so under the new order of things, which basically has fun as a mayor, there's a cartoon before every movie. tonight i saw a fantastic looney tunes episode before a double-feature celebration of spaghetti western's 50th anniversary, here's from the tunes, and anyway it was during this night when i heard what short was played before inherent vice

and oh, i'm so jealous -- here's the main story -- the cartoon that played before inherent vice at the new bev:

it may not be a googleable detail from that evening but i heard a firsthand account, and what you can google is why exactly it's interesting that short was chosen. for example

Drenk

Some cartoons on the digital booklet of the soundtrack. One has spot

THIS ONE CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Ascension.

Axolotl

Quote from: jenkins<3 on December 18, 2014, 02:20:52 AM
and oh, i'm so jealous -- here's the main story -- the cartoon that played before inherent vice at the new bev:

That's fantastic and there could be 10 different reasons for picking that cartoon from Pynchon to Altman to Ashby.

But here's a nifty connection: Klaus Voormann plays bass on Basketball Jones and besides being kind of a fucking legend in his own right he was a session bassist for people like Lou Reed and Harry Nilsson. Harry Nilsson is of course stamped over Magnolia (One is the Loneliest Number) and Punch-Drunk Love (He Needs Me from Popeye for which Nilsson did the music and in which Klaus Voormann appears in a cameo).

Without having seen it the biggest imprint Voormann has had on Inherent Vice is designing this cover:

Which seems to be the starting point for all of IV's marketing art:

Also, basketball jones is about a guy called "Tyrone Shoelaces" which makes him the second most famous protagonist who's named Tyrone for wordplay purposes. The other one's in this which came out earlier in the same year and which also contains a cameo by a clueless Nixon.

Drenk

A-and! New poster. Character poster. But with a lot of characters in it.

Ascension.

jenkins

tickles me how time period appropriate that is

wilder

They need one of Josh Brolin in profile gorging on the banana.

porgy

new 40 min Paul interview up on The Film Stage:

http://thefilmstage.com/news/listen-paul-thomas-anderson-talks-adapting-inherent-vice-and-there-will-be-blood-for-an-hour/

seems  lil exasperated in this one. that bit about Mad Men made me chortle.

Garam

Jonny Greenwood and London Contemporary Orchestra live at Manchester show all on Boiler Room

Opens with stuff from There Will Be Blood, haven't got far in yet, but assuming it continues with Master and Inherent Vice cuts.

edit: just TWBB and Master stuff so not really relevant but still damn worth your time, wow.

Korova

The latest Josh Brolin interviews have also new clips from the movie.
This one has Bigfoot's first appearance:

On Letterman there is the pancake scene with Joaquin. Couldn't find a decent video to post here,
but it's on YouTube anyway.

Drenk

Too much IV clips and teasers. WB should send me the whole movie.
Ascension.