Portishead....

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 19, 2003, 09:56:04 PM

mogwai

Portishead reveal details about third album

First new material in nine years may see light of day

Portishead have revealed details about their third studio album.

Founding member Geoff Barrow has revealed the band have completed their songs for their third album.

It will be the first new material since their second self-titled album from 1997. The bands last release was 'Roseland NYC Live' in 1998.

Posting on the band's Myspace page Barrow wrote: "We've had our meeting with the label it was really positive....which makes the whole thing so much easier to deal with nice people...The tracks are in a right mess but sounding like a album for the first time in years they (are) a bit weird though. Its great its nice to think us old gits have a few tunes in us without sounding like coffee table Zero 7 - Moby - chill out shit!"

Since their last album, singer Beth Gibbons released a solo album, 'Out Of Season', in 2002 with collaborator Rustin' Man.

mogwai

Portishead make surprise live debut

New material revealed to shocked fans

Portishead made a surprise unannounced return to the live stage on Sunday night (25 February) at small music bar Mr Wolfs in Bristol.

It was the reclusive band's first live appearance since 2005's Tsunami Benefit Show.

Under the guise of Grumpy Man DJs, band members Geoff Barrow, Adrian Uttley and Beth Gibbons surprised both gig-goers and venue staff with a shortset which included Portishead classic such as 'Wandering Star', in addition to trying out brand new untitled tracks on the crowd.

The band have not released an album since 1997's self-titled LP.

A witness in the audience there that evening later told NME.COM: "It was a brief, but memorable experience. If the new song is a measure of the quality of the forthcoming album, Portishead fans are in for a treat later this year."

polkablues

Quote from: mogwai on February 27, 2007, 10:15:02 AM
A witness in the audience there that evening later told NME.COM: "It was a brief, but memorable experience. If the new song is a measure of the quality of the forthcoming album, Portishead fans are in for a treat later this year."

Judging from that quote, I'd say the "witness" was their publicist.

But seriously, I'm very excited for the new album.  Excited, indeed.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

This albums already overrated.

If you look on the last page, I'd been asking about it two years ago. I had been waiting for it 2 years before that.

Portisheads new album is the Indiana Jones 4 of music. It's the band fucking with us like Lucas and Spielberg going "We almost got it done, it should be out soon" and then laughing, then 6 months later going "It's almost done, just wait, it's gonna be better than ever!" then laughing about it. Repeat.

It's to the point now where I say fuck Indiana Jones & fuck Portishead.

Ah, It will be awesome. Who am I kidding?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pwaybloe

Well, you'll download it at least and shit.  Right?  Fuck.  Portishead.

mogwai

Portishead announce comeback gigs

Cult British band Portishead will play their first official concert for nearly 10 years at a Butlins holiday camp.

The group are to curate and perform at the All Tomorrow's Parties Nightmare Before Christmas event, which is due to take place in Minehead this December.

"We've chosen a diverse collection of artists to play with us and we're really looking forward to it," said the band via their Myspace page.

The trip-hop pioneers won the Mercury Prize for their debut, Dummy, in 1995.

Featuring menacing beats combined with jazz samples and singer Beth Gibbons haunting vocals, the record went on to became an international success.

The follow up, Portishead, was released in 1997, after which the band seemingly ground to a halt.

They resurfaced in 2005, telling BBC 6 Music they were well on their way to completing a new album.

It has yet to see the light of day, but producer and songwriter Geoff Barrow has promised he is "trying to meet deadlines for this year".

In February, the group made an impromptu acoustic appearance at Bristol concert venue Mr Wolf's, where they previewed their new material, but the Butlins gig will be their first full performance since the 1990s.

The group will also choose the line-up for the three-day festival, which was set up as an alternative to the likes of Glastonbury and Reading in 1999.

"We have always loved the All Tomorrow's Parties set-up and we're happy our first shows will be there," said the band in a statement.

"It's great to have the opportunity to introduce bands we love or have influenced us."

Previous curators of All Tomorrow's Parties events include indie bands Mogwai and Sonic Youth in the UK and Simpsons creator Matt Groening in the US.

Stefen

I bet they get tapped to do the Indiana Jones 4 theme. That'd be something.   :whip:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

72teeth

i heard they were doing something for some new vincent froio flick...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

MacGuffin

Portishead's Third out in April
Spring will see release of the trip-hop band's first album in 10 years, as well as an extensive European tour
Source: Guardian Unlimited

Some ten years after their last formal release, trip-hop pioneers Portishead are releasing their fourth album, cleverly named Third, on April 14. They will also play a series of live dates in the UK, Europe and USA.

A posting on the band's website indicates simply the record's name, release date and that its eleven tracks are together 49 minutes and 13 seconds long. Never have so many numbers communicated so little.

It will be released in Britain by Island Records.

Bristol-based Portishead were one of the most influential British groups of the 1990s. With 1994's Dummy and 1997's self-titled album they came to define a genre called "trip-hop", combining downtempo electronica, jazz and Beth Gibbons' tremulous, despairing vocals. It was bloody depressing, and entirely marvellous.

After the concert album Roseland NYC Live in 1998, the band fell silent. Multi-instrumentalist Geoff Barrow co-founded Invada Records, releasing metal and art-rock albums by the likes of Oneida and Amusement Parks On Fire. Beth Gibbons' 2002 collaboration with Talk Talk's Paul Webb, entitled Out of Season, was well-received by critics - but not seen as a particular departure. (In other words, it was still depressing.)

Other than a charity concert in 2005 and a secret gig in mid-2007, the Portishead-curated Night Before Christmas festival in December marked their first appearance in almost ten years. The response was one of ecstatic misery. They now seem to be making up for lost time, announcing a string of gigs from Portugal to Scotland to California.

Full concert dates:

March

26 - Porto, Portugal (Coliseum)
27 - Lisbon, Portugal (Coliseum)
30 - Milan, Italy (Alcatraz)
31 - Florence, Italy (Sashall)

April

2 - Munich, Germany (Tonhalle)
3 - Berlin, Germany (Columbiahalle)
4 - Copenhagen, Denmark (KB Halle)
6 - Cologne, Germany (Palladium)
7 - Amsterdam, The Netherlands (HMH)
9 - Manchester, England (Apollo)
10 - London, England (Hammersmith Apollo)
11 - Edinburgh, Scotland (Corn Exchange)
13 - Wolverhampton, England (Civic)
17 - Brixton, England (Brixton Academy)
26 - Indio, California (Coachella Festival)

May

5 - Paris, France (Zenith)
29-31 - Barcelona, Spain (Primavera Sound Festival)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

At first I thought someone was playing a joke and I dl'ed the wrong album.

It's the same Portishead... but different. Third is an eclectic mix of songs. The sounds are so worldly; bossa nova, some French influence, a ukulele, ending with a psychedelic, The Doors feel. Was worth the wait. It was a great first listen. Will be on repeat for a while.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

brockly

it's fucking good. it is quite different: there's more texture, more variety, more to discover. there's no denying it's a more important achievement than their last album which, while showcasing undoutable development, felt like more of the same. but does anyone else's copy have a few seconds of silence at the end of every track that aren't supposed to be there? like it was ripped from some retard's copy who doesn't know that you have to turn the between track pause off when you're burning with nero. it's really hurting the experience :(

Stefen

I still haven't heard it. I'm waiting for either release or until I can get it in FLAC. I've waited 10 year. I can wait a couple weeks more.

I cannot wait.

Also, I find it ironic that I compared this album to Indy 4 and how they keep teasing us with both coming out, but they never do and now they're both coming out within months of eachother.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Stefen on March 12, 2008, 06:09:42 PM
I still haven't heard it. I'm waiting for either release or until I can get it in FLAC. I've waited 10 year. I can wait a couple weeks more.
I'm with you. I won't be downloading this one in bootleg mp3 quality. Not this one.

Can't wait till the release!

brockly

i hate dickheads who don't support piracy / listening to music in mediocre quality. you guys are worse than yuppies.

MacGuffin

Machine Gun, the first single from Third gets its first play on
Zane Lowe's Radio One show in the UK and will be simultaneously
available for download through www.portishead.co.uk

And you can pre-order the box set, limited to ten thousand
copies world-wide.

Available only through www.portishead.co.uk and including
USB memory stick, films, double vinyl, single etched vinyl
and limited addition artwork.

Skeleton FilmWorks