The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 08, 2003, 05:38:50 PM

life_boy

Wow, interesting documentary.  He is a lot more than the Jar Jar Binks of the LOTR.

MacGuffin

Peter Jackson Directing King Kong for 2005!

Five-time Academy Award nominee Peter Jackson will direct King Kong for Universal Pictures, it was announced today by Stacey Snider, Chairman, Universal Pictures. Jackson will begin work on the film immediately following the release of The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King, the third and final installment of his blockbuster trilogy based upon the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien. Jackson will write the screenplay with his partner Fran Walsh and "Lord Of The Rings" co-writer Philippa Boyens. Jackson and Walsh will produce the film under their WingNut Films banner. Universal Pictures will release King Kong worldwide in 2005.

Jackson will bring his sweeping cinematic vision to the iconic story of the gigantic ape-monster captured in the wilds and brought to civilization where he meets his tragic fate.

The screenplay by Jackson, Walsh and Boyens is based on the original story by Merian C. Cooper and Edgar Wallace, which became the classic 1933 RKO Radio Pictures film, directed by adventurers Cooper and Ernest B. Schoesdack. The RKO King Kong has been designated by the National Film Registry of the United States Library of Congress as one of the 100 Greatest Films and chosen by that organization for permanent preservation as a national treasure.

Jackson will employ the latest motion picture technology to cinematically portray the timeless tale of the beast and his beauty. He will expand on the chapters of the tale that take place in the mysterious and dangerous jungles of Skull Island, and his Kong promises to be a unique and breathtaking creation. As with his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, Jackson will shoot King Kong on location in his native New Zealand. The visual effects will be again accomplished by his New Zealand-based company Weta, Ltd., who have twice been honored with the Visual Effects Oscar® for their work on "Lord Of The Rings." They will supplement practical locations in creating primordial jungles and '30s-period America.

"No film has captivated my imagination more than 'King Kong.' I'm making movies today because I saw this film when I was 9 years old. It has been my sustained dream to reinterpret this classic story for a new age," Jackson stated. "The story of Kong offers everything that any storyteller could hope for: an archetypal narrative, thrilling action, resonating emotion and memorable characters. It has endured for precisely these reasons and I am honored to be a part of its continuing legacy."

Snider noted, "Peter Jackson is a filmmaker uniquely capable of capturing the core appeal of enduring classics and in expanding the visual language of motion pictures, as inarguably evidenced in his landmark achievement with the 'Lord of the Rings' films. We are thrilled to be working with Peter and Fran, and we are confident that their execution of 'King Kong' will amaze moviegoers. Anyone who has seen the first two installments of 'The Lord of the Rings' knows that Peter will bring Kong to life as a real character. His vision for the tragic tale of the misunderstood creature, with its poignant character development and technological wonder, will make 'King Kong' compulsory viewing for any real movie lover."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Cecil

lets hope this version isnt as sexist as the original 1933 version

©brad

so much for doing something small after LOTR. guess it could be cool. all I care about right now is seeing return of da king.

The Silver Bullet

Yes! Return Of The King! Kong, that is!

Heh heh he...ah, kill me.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Raikus

Let's hope that Father McGruder makes a reappearance.

"I kick ape for the Lord."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

phil marlowe

damn! was hoping for something minimalistic.

cant see why he wants to do king kong when he can make films like heavenly creatures.

:roll: ($$$)

Duck Sauce

RegularKarate

Quote from: Duck SauceHere comes CGI fest 2005
Was hoping for Shut up fest 2003

polkablues

Quote from: The Silver BulletYes! Return Of The King! Kong, that is!

Heh heh he...ah, kill me.

Thy will be done.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Redlum

NEW LINE CINEMA'S THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING DOMESTIC RELEASE DATE MOVED TO MAY 12, 2004

The effects work on this third and final film of the trilogy will surpass its predecessors in scope and intensity, and the producers as well as director Peter Jackson feel that the extra time will cement the film's status as the king of fantasy films and the crowning jewel of New Line's massive effort to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's epic to the screen.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sleuth

APRIL GFOGOLSD LOL2 N2LN 2RDTJDYFTR
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

What's funny about this if it's true is that the next Harry Potter film moved it's target release date to early summer/late spring to avoid the LOTR competition.

Redlum

Quote from: tremoloslothAPRIL GFOGOLSD LOL2 N2LN 2RDTJDYFTR
:wink:
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas