Best Original Music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 18, 2006, 02:11:15 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Original Music: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (Gustavo Santaolalla)

THE NOMINEES

Brokeback Mountain
King Kong
Me and You and Everyone We Know
Munich
The New World

Gamblour.

Pfft, somber guitar music. It's just what you expect. The New World's music is some of the most incredible music in years, both Horner's original score and the use of Wagner.
WWPTAD?

life_boy

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on April 18, 2006, 11:26:36 AM
The New World's music is some of the most incredible music in years, both Horner's original score and the use of Wagner.

Really?  I thought the score was the least developed technical aspect of the film and seemed like yet another cookie-cutter Horner score.  It had its moments but overall, I didn't find it to be anything special.  On the other hand, the scores from 2005 that I really enjoyed (Syriana, Grizzly Man, 2046) were not nominated.  I voted Brokeback Mountain by default because it seemed like the best of the group.  On second thought, maybe King Kong was the better of the 5.

godardian

No matter how "expected" his score might have been, Santaolalla was wise enough to know that in music, the slide guitar makes about the saddest, "achiest" sound this side of the cello. It's an ache you couldn't put into words. It wasn't merely going for some kind of impressiveness, but exactly suited to the film, really adding another dimension, and exactly the right one (maybe "suited" a way of saying "expected" or "predictable" but with an opposite bias?). Anyway, that slide guitar won my vote.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

this was the only category i voted for Brokeback Mountain and i think it deserved to win.  it was the best part of the film.  and unless its an incredibly memorable theme i'm usually drawn to simpler instrumental scores rather than full-on orchestral stuff. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

I forgot to nominate Grizzly Man.  That one was goood.  Didn't care too much for the brokeback score. 

private witt

Quote from: Gamblour. on April 18, 2006, 11:26:36 AM
Pfft, somber guitar music. It's just what you expect. The New World's music is some of the most incredible music in years, both Horner's original score and the use of Wagner.

I'm really surprised that the piece of music that bookends TNW hasn't been used as trailer music for the last two years like that Moby piece for 'Heat'.  Suppose I should be glad about that.
"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks