Future Tarantino: Where it's never gonna happen, but we hope that it does(n't).

Started by jtm, January 20, 2003, 09:54:48 PM

Reel

What I find most interesting in Tarantino's retelling of this is the potential for exploring the multiple plotlines leading up to and after the murders. He's always had a knack for playing with the chronology of a story to reveal new details from the different perspectives it's shown. I think that where he could fudge with history a bit is in what these separate chronologies bring to light about the case.

One of Tarantino's favorite topics of Race shows it's face again here, with Manson's preaching of a coming Race war and planning the murder scene to frame the Black Panthers. I wonder how it will reflect the current climate we're in.

Robyn

I read on the IMDB trivia page that Brad Pitt and DiCaprio is rumored for this. Margot Robbie is also rumored to play Sharon Tate.

God, the more I think about this, the more I want to see it. This seems like something new and refreshing after his last three films.

Lottery

QuoteSet in Los Angeles in the summer of 1969, Tarantino's upcoming movie, according to a source who read the script, focuses on a male TV actor who's had one hit series and his looking for a way to get into the film business. His sidekick—who's also his stunt double—is looking for the same thing. The horrific murder of Sharon Tate and four of her friends by Charles Manson's cult of followers serves as a backdrop to the main story.

Very interesting. Fingers crossed that it's going to be a really different work for him.

Robyn

Exited to see something somewhat modern again. Hateful Eight is one of my favorite Tarantino films, but he has basically made that same film for years now, and it's the perfect time to move on to something different. He perfected that film with H8.

I read some rumor that Tom Cruise might be in it, and it must be the stunt double role, right? Would make so much sense for Tarantino to cast him in that role. Zoe Bell could be in it too, I guess? Being a stunt double herself and a Tarantino regular and all.

wilder

Quentin Tarantino Has Written Episodes Of A '50s Western 'Once Upon A Time' Spin-Off TV Series That He Wants To Direct
via The Playlist

There has been a heaping helping of speculation and debate about what should be Quentin Tarantino's final directorial feature. Lately, it's been about whether or not the 10th film from the director should be 'Star Trek' or something original. But what we failed to really discuss is the reality that Tarantino is only retiring from film, and there's this whole other realm we haven't considered — television.

Speaking to Deadline, Tarantino actually said that he's currently in the middle of writing scripts for a TV series that is a spin-off of his upcoming film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." The series, titled "Bounty Law," is one of the projects that Leonardo DiCaprio's Rick Dalton stars on in the film. It appears that Tarantino had so much creative energy when creating this fictitious Dalton-starring series that he decided to go ahead and actually write episodes of the series.

"From watching the different old Western shows and everything, I did it to get in the head of 'Bounty Law,'" said Tarantino. "I ended up starting to really like the idea of Jake Cahill, as a character. I really started loving those half hour '50s Western scripts. The idea that you could write something like 24 minutes, where there was so much story crammed in those half hour shows, with a real beginning and a middle and an end."

He added, "Also it was kind of fun because you can't just keep doubling down and exploring. At some point, you've got to wrap it up. I really liked that idea. I've written five different episodes for a possible 'Bounty Law' black-and-white half hour Western show."

Of course, if this was a true spin-off of 'Once Upon a Time,' the series would star the Rick Dalton from the film, specifically DiCaprio. But considering the Oscar-winning actor isn't the first person to leap at TV projects and is notoriously picky about his films, even, Tarantino isn't convinced that DiCaprio will be down for the series.

Nevertheless, this isn't deterring the filmmaker from keeping the creative juices flowing.

"If he wants to do it that would be great," said the filmmaker. "I'm not planning on that but I have an outline for about three other episodes. So I'll probably write about three other episodes and then just do it. Direct every episode. They're a half hour long. I wouldn't mind doing it for Netflix but I'd want to shoot it on film. Showtime, HBO, Netflix, FX. But I also like the fact that I built up this mythology for 'Bounty Law' and Jake Cahill."

Alethia

Obviously as up in the air as anything else he's mentioned in this realm, but I'd love to see him do an all-out horror flick. Death Proof and OUTIH flirt with it, but I hope he decides to really turn the hog loose.

Quentin Tarantino Says His Last Film Will Be Horror If He 'Comes Up With Terrific Story'

Other contenders for Tarantino's last movie include an R-rated "Star Trek" and a third "Kill Bill" movie.

Zack Sharf

Quentin Tarantino has a career-defining choice to make when it comes to his final movie. The filmmaker reminded fans in July before the release of "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" that he still plans on retiring after directing his next movie, leading to much speculation about what that final movie will be. Tarantino has put two projects on the table, an R-rated "Stark Trek" film and a third "Kill Bill" movie, and now a third contender has emerged. During an interview on his international "Hollywood" press tour (via The Independent), Tarantino let it slip that horror could be in his future.

"If I come up with a terrific horror film story, I will do that as my tenth film," Tarantino said. "I love horror movies. I would love to do a horror film."

While Tarantino has yet to make an all-out horror movie, he did mention that one sequence in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" flirts with the horror genre in a way his career never has before. The scene in question is when the stuntman Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) arrives at the Spahn Ranch and is greeted by members of the Manson Family cult.

"I do actually think that the Spahn Ranch sequence is the closest to a horror sequence," Tarantino said. "I do think it's vaguely terrifying. And I didn't quite realize how good we did it, frankly, until my editor told me. He goes, 'the Spahn Ranch sequence is a horror film...it's "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" with a budget.'"

Tarantino's last movie being a horror film depends entirely on whether or not he can come up with a good enough story. A script for Tarantino's potential R-rated "Star Trek" movie already exists, written by "The Revenant" scribe Mark L. Smith. Tarantino has said he plans to revisit the script once the "Hollywood" press tour is over in order to punch it up, then he'll decide whether or not a space adventure is where he'll end his career.

As for a potential "Kill Bill" trilogy-ender, Tarantino said last month he was keeping conversations open with Uma Thurman. "Me and Uma have talked about it recently, frankly, to tell you the truth," Tarantino said. "I have thought about it a little further. We were talking about it literally last week. If any of my movies were going to spring from my other movies, it would be a third 'Kill Bill.'"

"Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is now playing in theaters nationwide.

wilberfan

It's a moot question now, but near or pre- coronapocalypse I heard QT on a podcast describing how he was now living in Israel with his wife and new baby.  The thought immediately struck me, "How will marriage/fatherhood change Quentin Tarantino?".

I think of him as being so quintessentially southern-california-movie-nerd, it's hard to picture him as a "normal" dude with a wife & kid.  Over the last couple of years he was making noises which suggested he was going to be changing directions anyway (approaching his 10-feature limit, etc), but I wonder to what extent and in what directions parenthood might alter his creative impulses. 

On the other, other hand, his last two endeavors have left me rolling my eyes in extremis, so a hard-reset might be welcome from my corner of the cinemascape.

And apples and oranges, perhaps, but partner/kids doesn't seem to have hurt PTA's creativity.  Some might argue his films got better as he matured.   Thoughts?

Sleepless

If he gets any work done at all, distracted by all those sandal-clad feet in Israel.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

Quentin Tarantino Sets Two-Book HarperCollins Deal; 'Once Upon A Time In Hollywood' Novelization & '70s Movie Deep Dive 'Cinema Speculation' To Follow

Quentin Tarantino has signed a two book deal with Harper, the HarperCollins imprint. First up is Tarantino's first work of fiction, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, a novel to be published next summer that breathes new life into the characters and the premise of a film that got 10 Oscar nominations and won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Brad Pitt. Tarantino has long been infatuated with the movie novelizations he read voraciously growing up, paperbacks that accompanied a film's release. He has set in that tradition a book that teases out the characters played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Pitt. Appropriately, the throwback novel will start as a Harper Perennial mass market paperback, alongside e-book and digital audio editions. A deluxe hardcover edition will follow in the fall.

Tarantino's second work with Harper will be a work of nonfiction, Cinema Speculation. Tarantino has often cited film critic Pauline Kael as a literary hero and over the years has hinted he might take a career pivot toward writing about his film passions as a next career when he retires after directing his tenth film. This book is described by the publisher as a "deep dive into the movies of the 1970's, a rich mix of essays, reviews, personal writing, and tantalizing "what if's," from one of cinema's most celebrated filmmakers, and its most devoted fan."

The Once Upon A Time In Hollywood novel will chart the lives of Tarantino's two protagonists – TV actor Rick Dalton and his stunt double Cliff Booth – both forward and backward in time. In scripting the film, Tarantino steeped himself in the mythology of everything from Los Angeles in the summer before the Manson Family murders, to the TV Westerns that DiCaprio's character Rick Dalton came from, down to the Italian Spaghetti Westerns that gave Clint Eastwood a career post Rawhide, and gave Dalton a lifeline. As part of his research, Tarantino wrote half a dozen episodes of Dalton's series, Bounty Law, and has expressed a desire to direct them as a limited series.

I've seen a sample of the book, an appreciation of Dalton's post Bounty Law career by Pulp Fiction filmmaker Tarantino, who recounts Rick Dalton's attempts to extend his career in Italy. The trip included successes like Nebraska Jim and setbacks like the time he overplayed his hand in Kill Me Quick Ringo, Said The Gringo, and insisted he be paid extra to dub in English his distinctive Missouri drawl for the Hollywood release of the film. The producers instead got Peter Fernandez, who had a distinctive voice all his own — as he dubbed the popular cartoon Speed Racer — which muted Dalton's performance. Among the many characters Dalton comes across is Burt Reynolds (who was cast to play George Spahn in Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood but died during rehearsal), but in Tarantino's writing got a great break when his series Dan August got canceled and he landed Deliverance. Another character is Pete Duel, the Alias Smith and Jones star who committed suicide but who was an important influence to Tarantino and DiCaprio and Pitt as they found their characters. There are also interactions with action stars of the era like ex-football stars like Jim Brown and Fred Williamson, as Dalton scratches his way toward a second act. Tarantino's mix of fiction and real stars of the '60s and '70s puts his encyclopedic brain for such details to fine use.

"In the seventies movie novelizations were the first adult books I grew up reading," says Tarantino. "And to this day I have a tremendous amount of affection for the genre. So as a movie-novelization aficionado, I'm proud to announce Once Upon A Time In Hollywood my contribution to this often marginalized, yet beloved sub-genre in literature. I'm also thrilled to further explore my characters and their world in a literary endeavor that can (hopefully) sit alongside its cinematic counterpart."

Vice President and Executive Editor Noah Eaker, who acquired North American rights from Tarantino's WME reps said, "Quentin Tarantino's literary talents have been in plain sight since his first scripts, but to see how skillfully he endows his characters with life on the page and how he constantly takes a reader by surprise, even one who knows the movie by heart, is to see a master storyteller trying on a new form and making it his own."

Tarantino's film was nominated for five Golden Globes, (winning Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy, Best Supporting Actor and Best Screenplay for Tarantino), 10 BAFTAS, and 10 Academy Award nominations including: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/quentin-tarantino-two-book-deal-harpercollins-novel-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-cinema-speculation-70s-movie-deep-dive-1234616927/#comments