jenkins

in terms of dark bands and stylistic influence, this one trips me out

Robyn

Quote from: jenkins on October 11, 2017, 01:17:33 PM

yeah, I love that one.

i thought I heard a plane crashing
but now I think it was your passion SNAPPING

N

I spam this thread too much but I just found this Charlotte Church EP and can't not post it.

Robyn

makthaverskans third album is out. I haven't listened to it yet, but they deserve a mention in here because they are amazing.

this is from their second album which you should begin with

they aren't original in any sense, but there's something very special about them, and it's hard to explain what it is. I guess it's a combination of the simple yet emotional lyrics, her amazing delivery (she sings every word like they meant everything to her), and the fact that they are very good at writing memorable and catchy songs that sticks with you.

evelina you broke my heart, hung me up and stabbed me down
and I don't know what to say, so fuck you, fuck yoooooou!

Robyn

it's 5 in the morning and I haven't slept yet, my whole life has gone to shit in the last months, and I'm feeling more and more alone for each passing day.

so that's that and then there's this album, and tonight i'm very thankful for all the art and films and books and music in the world, because sometimes I feel like that's the only thing I love that won't disappear from me, and the only thing that I can feel happy about from time to time. so basically; this is a very beautiful album and you should listen to it if you're feeling down, or listen to it anyway because it's fucking great.

jenkins

kisses. i thought the last part was really well said.

jenkins

(Future Islands singer)

WorldForgot

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

WorldForgot

Robyn

have you guys listened to Common As Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood, the latest Sun Kil Moon album, that was released earlier this year? it's not an album you can listen to over and over like his earlier albums, but it's very interesting. I have never heard anything in music that take the stream of consciousness style this far. it sounds like diary entries most of the time. this was a nice description from RYM:

Gigantic streaming consciousness, potrait of a life, in the level most live, most of the time.  Age, decay, weight gain, young people's stupidity, wisdom, grumpiness.  The lovely everyday morningdew of Kozelek's voice.  Old friends, dying, people dying like cattle all over, lizards dying, meals, politics, typical quirks, comfortable hotels, rushing around, that's life, gratitude, and love.  And the red valleys of blood, famous wrestlers and musicians dying on CNN.  Kozelek has a way with words.

jenkins

mhm. oh yeah. plus i was alerted to even more music he made this year.

this is both one of his most popular songs and my favorite song of his

QuoteI drove to my place near Tahoe
Got in my hot tub and I thought well that's how it goes
And it was quiet and I was listening to the crickets
And Ben's still out there, selling lots of tickets
And though I'm contented, there's a tinge of competitiveness
But Ben's my friend and I know he gets it
Then in a couple of days my meltdown passed
Back to the studio doing twelve hours shifts
Singing a song about one thing or another
Another day behind the microphone this summer

WorldForgot

Quotethere is a notorious website called backpage.com that until recently was a hub for trafficking in underage sex workers. a lot of this trafficking takes place in the next neighborhood over from where i live. the screen shots are all from ads on that were on backpage for children being used for sex work.

the song petite is about these girls.

at the end of the song "faith torn apart" on FORGET there is a specific line devoted to each of the girls in the photos used in this video. - Jamie Stewart

Which lines comprise the

QuoteThe part of Los Angeles that I live in is not very far from a neighborhood where there is a lot of trafficking of underage prostitutes, and there is a notorious website called Backpage that is a facilitator of this. Probably about a year ago I began to explore the site and take screenshots of the young girls who are advertised there—to, in some way, empathize with their situation. I also found somebody on the site you can report things to, so I would do that, but I probably collected two hundred screenshots of these young women and young girls. I went through them one day and wrote one line based on my immediate impression of each of the photographs. They're mostly just head shots, but these are of people who are obviously very young. They're wearing clothes, but they're clearly made up to look sexualized, and some are thirteen years old. What Vaginal Davis reads at the end of that song is made up of the one-line impressions I wrote looking at each of those photos.

Robyn

Bright Eyes were an important part of my life growing up and this new song made me happy because it's more similar to earlier Bright Eyes than his more recent albums under his own name. I hope we hear more stuff like this on his next album. Very good.

Edit: Wow, this one is even more like Bright Eyes, the sad and angry Conor is basically back. I hope he is doing okay.

QuoteMind is blown, but her body's still in shock
Can't see nothing and she's staring at the kitchen clock
Feels so bland in the eye of the storm
It's a bedroom day
We should switch, we should pass ourselves around
Meet me at the corner, tear your dream home down
It's a goddamn shit show out here now
Something to tell you about, someone told me about
I know I'm weak, and this weekend you'll find out
Yes, I sleep at the fucking whore's house now
Cinematic, cinematic, fades to black
Every day is a rodeo, man...

No one's gonna change, nobody ever does
No one's gonna change, no one's changing for you
And I'm never gonna do what you want me to

Sitting there, speaking Greek to a college blog
Every sentence is the same, it's just talk – talk – talk
I am one, I admit it, of a million, who has it out for these soapbox idiots
Click – clack of your high heels, you're awake
Downstairs on the tic - tac, strippers break
Every dancer is trying to sync to the beat
Every motherfucker in this place tells me the same shit
This whole world has got to buy you a drink, man
Gotta take you to the edge and watch you throw it up
Every morning I could give a damn what you did last night
Just tell me how far, to kick this can

No one's gonna change, no one's changing for you

Well I don't want to feel so jaded
Getting on a plane to work things out
When I'm alone,
You're all I think about
But I'm never alone very long

You say you gotta love yourself first, that's the trick
I've been hating myself since I was a little kid
I know it's sad that the game's rained out
And all the bleachers emptied out
And the turnstile spin
All the good ones in the world, they've been dropping dead
Everybody's got a bullet flying at their head
I've seen it coming, man...
I've seen it coming, man...
I've seen it coming, no...

No one ever changes, hey, that's the truth
No one's gonna change, nah baby, not for you
No one ever changes and that's the truth

Robyn

so these last couple of songs made me revisit the first Bright Eyes album. there's a couple of really good song on it, and he fucking made them when he was 17-18 , how impressing is that? 

QuoteBut these are days we dream about when the sunlight paints us gold
And this apartment could not be prettier as when we danced up there alone

<3