Prophet's Prey - Documentary

Started by wilder, July 16, 2015, 04:21:41 AM

wilder

When Warren Jeffs rose to Prophet of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints, he took control of a religion with a history of polygamous and underage marriage. In a short time, Warren managed to expand these practices and the power of his position in unprecedented ways. He bridged the gap between sister wives and ecclesiastically rape, befuddling the moral compass of his entire congregation. The film examines Warren Jeffs' life and shows how he became a worshipped and adored Prophet. Warren has a devout following numbering in the tens of thousands - many of whom would give their life at any moment with just one word from the Prophet. Despite a trail of abuse and ruined lives, Warren has maintained his grip on power.

Directed by Amy Berg
Release Date - Fall theatrical in NY and LA TBD, Showtime premiere to follow

wilder

Playing October 10 at 9 PM on Showtime

Garam

Oh I saw this at the Edinburgh film festival. Very good. The director and writer/journalist did a Q and A afterwards, and came across as very thoughtful, humanistic folk. Apparently a huge new development in the case came up and so they're trying to do a fairly major last minute edit to the film before the Showtime premiere.

Some incredible footage from the jail in this film. 'The Lord is still dictating' is a line that I couldn't shake from my mind for weeks afterwards. I think documentaries may be better than regular movies.

wilder

This is streaming on Showtime's standalone app, and available to watch with their 30-day free trial