Best Film

Started by MacGuffin, March 06, 2010, 02:14:36 AM

socketlevel

well truthfully i left for 3 years in 2006 and came back about a year ago. in the past i used to look at the winners and not read the replies. like i said it just seemed that people were calling the split vote a lot, and this was a way to fix it.

I'm Canadian. but regardless of my country of origin, you're label of my behavior is kinda loaded. like, how can i even reply to it? In doing so, I perpetuate this now rightist and ignorant stigma you've attached. the very fact that i have an opinion seems to be your focus. sorry i guess i'll always have an opinion, and i think you shouldn't silence the debate with labels that attack the very motive in which i post. it's kind of ironic because you're not a yes man on this site. you often stir the pot or call people on bullshit, so why have your sights set on my behavior? i won't hit below the belt if you don't, there is no way out of what you said other than to see it's inherent flaws in dominance. basically regardless of how i reply, you can say "see".

given the context of this, it's interesting because first past the post is way more republican/conservative then preferential voting. global voting reform is actually a liberal movement. basically the reason in Canada is the fact that there is one conservative party and 2-3 left leaning parties. with preferential voting it eliminates the public tendency to vote for what has the best chance and in stead go for what they want, because the best chance will still get their vote before the conservative one. You're a smart enough guy to already know that, along with others on the site. so if i am rebelling, and acting political, it's more liberal minded. I guess preferential is way less considered in the US because with only two combatants you kind of technically already have it.

in 10 months if i remember, and i hope i do, i will bring it up again. and if people are game i'm more than willing to help out. i think it would make for a much more interesting awards season. i don't know, it's a soft side of me, but i really like how this site has the awards. it's geeky freaky or w/e, but it's fun.
the one last hit that spent you...

socketlevel

oh and your comment about children of men is blasphemous! :P
the one last hit that spent you...

polanski's illegitimate baby

yeah i am down for not copy, pasting, deleting, backspacing god knows how many entries...in fact, that was so much work for me i am not going to do ever do it again... p makes a good point
every time you find yourself reading this, think of other great things you could be doing... :)

RegularKarate

Yeah, the preferential voting thing just makes it more work, accomplishes nothing else.  We did it for both Decapentawhoeverdongs I think.

Also, What else was against Children of Men?  I'm inclined to agree with P there.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 25, 2010, 04:48:02 PM
Also, What else was against Children of Men?  I'm inclined to agree with P there.

It was and still is my favorite of that year, but I was AMAZED that it won.  It never seemed to have that much support behind it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

picolas

children of men is vastly overrated. i don't like any of the characters. it does have some really amazing shots, but that's the only thing i remember being impressed by.

RegularKarate

Quote from: picolas on March 25, 2010, 05:10:09 PM
children of men is vastly overrated. i don't like any of the characters. it does have some really amazing shots, but that's the only thing i remember being impressed by.

Did I write this?

polkablues

I don't like any of the characters, but I found that didn't stop me from loving the movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Quote from: polkablues on March 25, 2010, 06:48:12 PM
I don't like any of the characters, but I found that didn't stop me from loving the movie.

Same here. Character wise, not much is going on, but I still think as a whole it's a stunning film. I'm a visual ho, tho'. 
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: socketlevel on March 25, 2010, 04:18:51 PM
well truthfully i left for 3 years in 2006 and came back about a year ago. in the past i used to look at the winners and not read the replies. like i said it just seemed that people were calling the split vote a lot, and this was a way to fix it.

i think you'll find that there is no such thing as a split vote most years. only in the case of Children of Men and this year was there not a clear favourite. every other year everyone knew who was going to win and the margin was HUGE for the winner, and in those cases preferential voting would have made absolutely no difference at all. this year there will be a TERENCE MALLICK FILM released.. the best film of 2010 is already decided. the other categories are not much different. this year was very unusual with the number of ties, and it is just hurting my head to think that we would hav to consider ppl's second third and fourth ranked options for a meaningless category like "best original music" where ppl for the most part hav absolutely no idea what they're talking about... this is why we got rid of Editing and Sound and no one gave a shit.

I'm Canadian. but regardless of my country of origin, you're label of my behavior is kinda loaded. like, how can i even reply to it? In doing so, I perpetuate this now rightist and ignorant stigma you've attached. the very fact that i have an opinion seems to be your focus. sorry i guess i'll always have an opinion, and i think you shouldn't silence the debate with labels that attack the very motive in which i post. it's kind of ironic because you're not a yes man on this site. you often stir the pot or call people on bullshit, so why have your sights set on my behavior? i won't hit below the belt if you don't, there is no way out of what you said other than to see it's inherent flaws in dominance. basically regardless of how i reply, you can say "see".

given the context of this, it's interesting because first past the post is way more republican/conservative then preferential voting. global voting reform is actually a liberal movement. basically the reason in Canada is the fact that there is one conservative party and 2-3 left leaning parties. with preferential voting it eliminates the public tendency to vote for what has the best chance and in stead go for what they want, because the best chance will still get their vote before the conservative one. You're a smart enough guy to already know that, along with others on the site. so if i am rebelling, and acting political, it's more liberal minded. I guess preferential is way less considered in the US because with only two combatants you kind of technically already have it.

you know i'm australian, right? i was only making reference to republicans cos you started this with a direct appeal to the different voting systems of countries.. at the very least i would say that was unnecessary, at worst irrelevant.

in 10 months if i remember, and i hope i do, i will bring it up again. and if people are game i'm more than willing to help out. i think it would make for a much more interesting awards season. i don't know, it's a soft side of me, but i really like how this site has the awards. it's geeky freaky or w/e, but it's fun.

i think it's fun too but honestly just judging the overall winner based on ppl's main preference is good enough. that's my opinion.. and it's hard enough getting ppl to simply copy, paste, then delete all but their favourite in each category, let alone asking them to RANK THEM IN ORDER OR PREFERENCE. we would get most ppl just ranking their main favourite, maybe two, in each category. not much of a revolution really.
under the paving stones.