Best Editing

Started by MacGuffin, April 06, 2009, 07:56:14 PM

MacGuffin

Best Editing: THE DARK KNIGHT (Lee Smith)

THE NOMINEES

The Dark Knight
Milk
Revolutionary Road
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Good. Should have won just for the truck sequence alone.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

There should be an asterisk next to this noting that it wins this award for it's first hour and fifteen minutes only (which are flawless) because it kind of falls apart in the last act.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

i disagree on multiple counts. 1: the first hour and fifteen minutes aren't flawless. for example, cut nicky katt's bumbling swat guy character! 2: the editing in the final gordon monologue rocks, as well as the interrogation, and plenty of other good stuff. i didn't vote for it, but if i had it would've been for the whole (not perfect) movie. the special features on the blu ray shows just how much footage they shot for every moment of action.. drudging through it to make the best possible sequence is a feat.

Stefen

The flawless comment was hyperbole on my part. I just felt that the second half compared to the first half felt very sloppy and aimless. Like there was too much going on at once.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

milk was also spectacularly cut, but this deserved the win in my opinion.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Sleepless

Milk was an all-round great film, hence its inclusion in lots of the categories. Very well put together. Engaging, entertaining and artistic. If you ask me, the best thing about it was the screenplay, but I'm glad it at least got the recognition to be included everywhere. This has been a weird year. All the choices were so different across the board.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

abuck1220

more like worst editing.

Stefen

Pas

^hahaha

wtf is good editing ? I wish next year's xixax awards will have more fun categories like we have now (best poster, best trailer etc)

best opening sequence was a good idea. Funniest one-liner would be a lot of fun. Craziest character. That's be fun.

Best editing, that's like best sound. I think I read in the best sound thread someone wrote : ''it's actually more the best sound editing, not the best sound'' something like that. Some people know a lot about films.  :shock: (not sarcastic)

Stefen

I guess good editing is subjective but I always think of it as being able to tell a story well. Nothing worse than a movie not making sense because storylines don't tie themselves up.

polkablues

That's the problem with "editing" as a category.  Is it referring more to the overall pacing and coherence of the film as a whole, or to the more specific issue of how the shots are cut together?  Personally, I don't think Dark Knight necessarily should have won in either capacity, but that's beside the point, which is that it's just too broad and vague a category.
My house, my rules, my coffee

JG

its no more vague than "best director." i thought the way that the archival footage was weaved into milk qualified as good editing, and thats why i nominated it. though i agree that when we choose the winners for categories like this, we're generally just taking guesses as to what the process was like.