Noah Baumbach

Started by MacGuffin, May 19, 2008, 01:08:10 PM

Yes

Going to Cannes for the first time with Meyerowitz Stories

Yes

The Tribeca conversation between Baumbach and Dustin Hoffman sounded great, and few details were revealed about the new project! Apparently it's a film he's been working towards for a while and the blocking of Mistress America was what really inspired him  :ponder: He mentioned before he was interested in making a longer film since the majority of his work taps out under 100 minutes, and he seemed to have achieved that goal since Meyerowitz Stories has a runtime of 110 minutes

wilder

Adam Driver & Scarlett Johansson To Star In Noah Baumbach's Next Movie
via The Playlist

Following "The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)," writer/director Noah Baumbach is going back to Netflix for his next project. Adam Driver, Scarlett Johansson, Laura Dern, Merritt Wever and Azhy Robinson will star in Baumbach's new film, which is currently untitled, and about which no details have been revealed.

Yes

Netflix was rumored to be distributing, but it apparently is Amazon

QuotePlot details are hard to come by, but I'm told that Driver and Johansson will play a married couple (she works in television), and that Robinson will play their young son.

I believe Baumbach is producing the untitled film with David Heyman, and there have been whispers of a distribution deal with Netflix, though I have yet to confirm that element. It would make sense, of course, since Netflix released Baumbach's latest film

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Yes

Alan Alda has been cast in the film.

Baumbach is still editing. I wager we won't get this until fall fests 2019.

jenkins

Alma

Whuuut? I can't imagine Baumbach doing this at all.

Alethia

putneyswipe

Hoping this inspires PTA to dust off his old Underworld script for HBO

Drenk

https://twitter.com/fudgekat/status/1349906646152036352

Baumbach directed the unaired HBO pilot for The Corrections.
Ascension.

putneyswipe

I was being sarcastic but this seems like a bad fit to me. If anyone could do DeLillo aside from Cronenberg it would be Haynes or maybe Solondz or Almeryda - SAFE is probably the closest thing to a great DeLillo adaptation there is. There are other books that I feel would translate much better to this medium in his corpus, don't think White Noise is well suited for the screen

Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote from: Drenk on January 18, 2021, 11:18:38 AM
https://twitter.com/fudgekat/status/1349906646152036352

Baumbach directed the unaired HBO pilot for The Corrections.

Maybe its true, but I'm taking this with a dash of salt. It's Franzen's big hit book and the show didn't work, so of course he's gonna blame Baumbach. It's like blaming your ex for the relationship failing. I'm not really sure how you'd make The Corrections work as a series anyway, I can't see the strengths of the novel naturally translating to the screen. And anyway its pretty common for authors to be unhappy with screen adaptations of their work, especially when it doesn't net them millions of dollars.

That said, he's got his work cut out for him adapting White Noise. It seems like a really hard nut to crack. I feel like I'd rather see someone take a crack at one of his shorter pieces like Point Omega or The Body Artist.

putneyswipe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Ever_(2016_film)

A french director actually already adapted The Body Artist a few years ago. Part of me thinks Point Omega & Zero K were almost written as glorified screenplays, like the recent Pynchon books (I think Baumbach or the Safdies could maybe pull off Bleeding Edge, really surprised that one hasn't been adapted yet). Agree they would translate easily.