Michael Mann

Started by MacGuffin, June 03, 2003, 09:37:53 AM

Fernando

Possible casting news from Latinoreview.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Jada Pinkett Smith is in negotiations to jump into Michael Mann's "Collateral," the DreamWorks Pictures/Paramount Pictures co-production. Dates are still being worked out for the actress to join the Tom Cruise starrer, which is scheduled to begin lensing next month.

MacGuffin

Val Kilmer Leaves Collateral for Alexander
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Val Kilmer, who was to have played a leading role in director Michael Mann's Tom Cruise thriller Collateral has left the project in favor of Oliver Stone's untitled Alexander film.

Kilmer's role in Intermedia's Alexander the Great project, currently filming, left him unable to do both projects at the same time. The role he was to have played in "Collateral" is open.

Meanwhile, Dennis Farina is stepping into another of the parts in Collateral, which is a DreamWorks/Paramount co-production.

Shooting starts next month on the Stuart Beattie-penned project, which stars Cruise as a contract killer who forces a taxi driver (Jamie Foxx) to chauffeur him around on a series of hits. Farina will play a detective on the run after Cruise's character. Jada Pinkett Smith and Irma Hall also star.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Ruffalo Replacing Kilmer in Collateral
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Sunday, October 12, 2003

Mark Ruffalo (In the Cut) is in talks to replace Val Kilmer in Michael Mann's Collateral opposite Tom Cruise for DreamWorks Pictures.

The project, written by Stuart Beattie, stars Cruise as a contract killer who forces a taxi driver (Jamie Foxx) to chauffeur him around on a series of hits.

Ruffalo would play a detective on the heels of Cruise's character. Jada Pinkett Smith, Dennis Farina and Irma Hall round out the cast.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

holding back laughter...

First Look at Tom Cruise on the Collateral Set
Source: The Movie Box

In the DreamWorks action-thriller from director Michael Mann, Jamie Foxx plays a Los Angeles cab driver forced to serve as a chauffeur to a contract killer (Cruise) on a string of hits. Mark Ruffalo will star as a detective on the trail of Cruise's character, while Jada Pinkett Smith plays an Assistant State Attorney on Cruise's hit list.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

Wasn't Adam Sandler going to be the cabbie in this movie at one point? I missed when that fell through. ...  Too bad.

Gold Trumpet

Jeez, Cruise looks like he is trying revive Miami Vice with that look. I'm not sure what to think of this project. Lets say the premise is even hard to believe in movie land logic.  Cruise and Mann are talented, but can easily make bad films and this seems like an offering of potential good action film at best. Cruise, playing the first time a contract killer, seems out lately to play every movie star persona he can play, the kind of role one dreams to play as a kid. Him and Crowe have been doing this lately. Cruise can do great work, but really hasn't lately.

~rougerum

Gloria

Cruise reminds me of Guy Pearce in that picture.  Anyone else see it?  Maybe its cause the pic has a little bit of an LA Confidential feel to it.

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: GloriaCruise reminds me of Guy Pearce in that picture.  Anyone else see it?
I don't remember.

MacGuffin

Michael Mann Directing Arms and the Man
Source: Variety

Universal Pictures and Michael Mann's Forward Pass has optioned Arms and the Man, a Peter Landesman-penned New York Times Magazine feature about shadowy arms dealer Victor Bout. Landesman will write the screenplay and Mann is attached to direct. This is how Variety describes the article and film:

The Aug. 17 article was an account of Landesman's interview with Bout, who is widely reported to be the world's largest arms trafficker. The great achievement of the interview that took place in Moscow was the sleuthing that made it happen. Bout has been incredibly secretive and spent most of the article deflecting assertions about how prolific a mover of weapons he is. Landesman's research, and the dangerous places he went to unearth information will help inform a drama he will begin writing immediately.

The film will be a "Heart of Darkness" hunt into the depths of global arms trafficking. An American agent pursues a missing orb of plutonium that was swiped during a raid in the Ukraine. The trail spans from the Middle East to Africa and the Soviet Union, and Landesman and Mann will introduce a love story element as the agent navigates between the old Soviet world and a new brand of lawlessness and arms brokering in the country.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek

This is one of my most anticipated movies, that Cruise photo looks cool and Tom Cruise wasn't good in Minority Report, a modern classic?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: DerekTom Cruise wasn't good in Minority Report, a modern classic?

He was fine. Its just that role really required little of him acting. Sure, a couple scenes of emotional outburst/breakdown, but thats not really too hard and he was running action hero most of the time.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I watched Last Of The Mohicans again this evening as I was doing some programming, and I just wanted to sing its praises once agian. A truly beautiful and affecting and epic action film, if ever there was one...and one of the few films made that's an improvement on a work of literature (although, in fairness to James Fenimore Cooper, I haven't given the book a second chance since I tried it when I was eleven).

I'd also put the score on a list of the best scores ever.

MacGuffin

Javier Bardem Starring in DreamWorks' Collateral
Source: Variety

Javier Bardem (Before Night Falls) has been cast in the Tom Cruise starrer Collateral, which Michael Mann is directing for DreamWorks.

Bardem will travel to Los Angeles to shoot what is described by Spanish newspaper El Pais as "a small role" in the film which also stars Jamie Foxx.

Foxx plays a Los Angeles cab driver forced to serve as a chauffeur to a contract killer (Cruise) on a string of hits. Ruffalo will star as a detective on the trail of Cruise's character.

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Just watched Michael Mann's Thief, which I haven't seen since 1981.  The film was ahead of its time, visually speaking.  Also, the hand of producer Jerry Bruckheimer was evident, from the visual gloss and intricate details of high-tech criminal tools.  In 1981, few films had this sort of look, along with the synth Tangerine Dream score (Risky Business used Tangerine Dream for its score).  Pretty impressive for a first film.  Caan was great, as was Willie Nelson (not just playing himself, he was convincing as a convict).  All in all, a nice 80's flashback.

The commentary wasn't very interesting, and I could hardly understand a word Mann said due to his thick Chicago accent.

Haven't seen The Keep or Last of the Mohicans.
Music is your best entertainment value.

pookiethecat

See Last of the Mohicans, Soixante.  An excellent and exciting piece of action filmmaking- as well as a ferally erotic romance between Madeleine Stowe and Daniel Day-Lewis.  I think Mann really does a lot with that film and sort of brings his emotions to an orgasmic level that i had never seen before- especially at the conclusion which i won't spoil for you.  i think mann is one of the best filmmakers working today.

i suggest manhunter too,- better than silence of the lambs in a lot of key ways.
i wanna lick 'em.