DVD's from overseas

Started by bonanzataz, August 31, 2003, 06:34:25 PM

here are some of my favorites  not-Region 1 DVD's:

City of God (French version)
Dogville (Silver French Edition)
Trainspotting:The Definitive Edition
For a strange reason the animated series' boxset's come out on England earlier.  I already have Futurama Season 3 and 4.  

And if someone is interested , Tartan  is re-releasing the Special Edition of Battle Royale which features an extended ending and 6 more minutes of feature, i think.  It also has a little commentary with QT and a new transfer, along with other features.  

The release date is Feb 26.  And I hope this edition also comes in a Tin box, like the previous print,  which looks/looked like this:

I've been hunting that edition for months     ... both amazon.co.uk and blackstar.co.uk told me to "fornicate myself with an iron stick" (their words), so this may be the alternative.

i'm also looking forward to the French Special Edition of Les Triplettes de Belleville
context, context, context.

(kelvin)

Quote from: samsongjust saw Paris, Texas (vhs) and think it's one of the best films.. ever.  Anyway, checked ebay and there are a few different versions available, two of which are Region 0.. one of them is PAL so that leaves me with the Brazilian DVD, but I don't know if the DVD's worth it... transfer wise.

Can anyone direct me to a review (or reviews) or actually own the DVD?  want to know if it's worth the purchase.  Thanks.

I own the french RC2 version. You fin it here: http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QT0F/qid=1073686470/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/402-0556509-3461711

I own it and it's worth buying, although you cannot delete the french subtitles. A shame wenders is hardly known on this board. Have you seen Der Himmel über Berlin?

godardian

Isn't Battle Royale supposed to be an upcoming Criterion release?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Weird. Oh

I read about this regionless DVD of Dogville that you can get before its out in the theatres. http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.529581/qx/details.htm
Is it worth picking up before the movie is out and has anyone else ever bought a regionless DVD and are there any flaws to them?
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

analogzombie

well a regionless DVD just means its coded as Region 0, so it'll play anywhere. as long as its a real manufactirers release there aren't any flaws inherent in them b/c they are Region 0. Though, the thing you have to look out for is a lot of websites that sell bootlegs claim they are selling just NTSC Region 0 releases. So the best bet is to research the site you want to buy it from. I don't know about HKFlix but Stiller66 on EBay, he also has an online storefront : Far East DVD, sells nothing but bootlegs. They can be ok but I felt crappy about buying an ichi the Killer bootleg for like $22. :(
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: MacGuffinFound this at a Lynch website, but you can rent other titles from them too:

Rent Lynch DVDs From Other Regions

For those folks here in the US who have mult-region/format players and want to check out some of Lynch films' dvds from overseas, now you can without having to buy them. A new company called Nicheflix.com stocks rental discs from all over the world. They have the German Lost Highway, Korean Wild At Heart (region 0 so it's playable by all US dvd players), Korean Twin Peaks Season 1 (which includes the pilot), Korean Fire Walk With Me, Spain Twin Peaks full series (remember its poor quality though), the German Dune Perfect Collection discs and even Mulholland Drive on D-VHS. They also stock a wealth of other foreign and cult discs. Their fourm also has some helpful suggestions for inexpensive players that can be made region free and do pal to ntsc conversion.

http://www.nicheflix.com/

$25/month is a bit much, especially if you have Netflix already. Is there any site like this that has a fee per rental?

Chest Rockwell

Thanks, taz :roll:
I guess I couldn't find it because I didn't think to search for 'overseas'.

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellThanks, taz :roll:
He redirected you and said nothing else. Why are you being a bitch about it?

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: Chest RockwellThanks, taz :roll:
He redirected you and said nothing else. Why are you being a bitch about it?
I'm not trying to be. All I'm doing is explaining my error, because whenever the admins redirect someone I always imagine them being annoyed as hell.

bonanzataz

so what was with the " :roll:, " big boy? you think you're better than me?

i didn't get annoyed. i just knew that i'd made a thread about it a while ago so you could find the answers to this stuff.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

so... amazon has now made it so that they will not ship out to other countries. this means that if i want to import a dvd from another region, i will need other internet retailers to do so. are there any good webpages i should know about? specifically french ones. there are way too many from japan. i know that you can get dvd's from italy at www.dvd.it but that's the only non-amazon european retailer that i know of. HELP ME!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

I live in an NTSC zone and I brought a Multisystem/Multiregion DVD player from Europe thinking that it would work here, but it didn't.  The player has a switch on the back that lets you choose between PAL or NTSC.  In Europe I  was able to see any DVD , but here I'm just able to see the NTSC stuff.   PAL = damned bars of evil.    My question is:

Would my solution be  a Multisystem TV ??
context, context, context.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton