Bill Plympton

Started by ono, January 15, 2004, 06:36:17 PM

ono

So a long, long time ago late night one night I was flipping through the channels and came across the craziest animated movie.  I don't remember much about it, except there was a bit of nudity and violence, to say the least, and there was one memorable, surreal scene where this man sort of wreaked havoc on some sort of building, surfing through it on the corpse of one of the people he had killed.  I never did catch the title until I remembered the film a few years later and tried to look it up on IMDb.  That's when I found out it was called I Married a Strange Person! and it was made by Bill Plympton.  I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but what I did see left an impression.  Anyone else have any thoughts on his work?

godardian

He was a big, big deal in Portland because of starting Claymation Studios.
A local celebrity. He did the California Raisins, etc. I don't have too much of an opinion, but I definitely know he had that local-bigwig thing going on back home.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

You're thinking of Will Vinton, Godardian. In penance for your mistake, you should check out some Plympton films. They're pretty neat, and the fact that he draws them all himself is amazing.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyYou're thinking of Will Vinton, Godardian. In penance for your mistake, you should check out some Plympton films. They're pretty neat, and the fact that he draws them all himself is amazing.

Yes, yes, of course... lord.

Oddly enough,  IMDB says Plympton is actually from Portland. Wonder if there's a Plympton/Vinton connection, somehow...?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.