PDL $ ?'s

Started by SoNowThen, June 09, 2003, 11:24:07 AM

SoNowThen

Something that's always stumped me: how did PDL cost over $20 million? Was it Sandler's salary, 'cause otherwise I can't see it...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MrBurgerKing

I have a feeling that the film actually only cost $10 million, and PTA pocketed the rest

SoNowThen

...for coke money. That's what I was thinking.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI have a feeling that the film actually only cost $10 million, and PTA pocketed the rest

Yeah, and the producer went "Where did all that money go Paul?"....Paul answered wisely (as always) "Them plungers weren't exactly cheap!"

Mesh

Add up Sandler, PSH, and Emily Watson's salaries and then make an inexpensive Hollywood production around 'em and you got your 20 mill' right there.

Mesh

Quote from: MrBurgerKingI have a feeling that the film actually only cost $10 million, and PTA spent the rest on Big Macs...

... is what you shoulda said.

children with angels

I guess the moving of the cast and crew to Hawaii can't have been cheap either...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

SoNowThen

Yeah, but almost $30 mill... I mean, Magnolia cost the same as this?? Magnolia was like War And Peace to it's Tv Guide.

modage

i emailed greg aroudn the time it was released to ask him this and i believe he said in the 25-35 million range.  (i guess the official figure is not one being shouted from the rooftops).  but, perhaps with the whole first week or two of shooting completely scrapped maybe that sent a modest budget skyrocketing upwards a bit?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

The coupons were expired, so the prop master had to pay full price for all that prop pudding.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, but almost $30 mill... I mean, Magnolia cost the same as this?? Magnolia was like War And Peace to it's Tv Guide.

Magnolia had a much bigger budget, didn't it????.....just curious

SoNowThen

I think it was budgeted at 30 and came in around 34, and pdl came in at the higher 20's, but y'know, what's an extra couple mill here and there. I guess my point was that pdl looks like it cost $5 compared to Magnolia...I wanna know where the money went. Seriously, does anyone know Sandler's salary for this flick?

MrBurgerKing

I will not refer to Big Macs. I have vowed never to make another fast food comment again.

SoNowThen

Dammit, you must take that back. The fast food stuff always made my day. First time you post in one of my threads, and you don't even use your shtick. Please. More analogies. I loved 'em.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: SoNowThendoes anyone know Sandler's salary for this flick?

i believe sandler's salary was 7 million dollars.  

i think MAGNOLIA cost 34 or 37 million dollars.  i remember PTA saying something about the amiee mann's save me video was the most expensive music video ever made because they made it during the production of MAGNOLIA.  funny guy, that PTA is, funny guy!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff