Solo: A Star Wars Story

Started by jenkins, February 04, 2018, 11:37:45 PM

jenkins

May 25

DP: Bradford Young (Arrival, Selma, A Most Violent Year, ATBS)

I only started this thread to share the Bradford Young credit I just realized.

Jeremy Blackman

polkablues

Thandie Newton's afro was definitely a Miller/Lord decision, and it's things like that that make me deeply disappointed they were run out out of town on a rail. It still looks fun, but safe, focus-grouped fun that everyone can garner a vague simulacrum of the feeling of joy from.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

Quote from: polkablues on February 05, 2018, 04:53:55 PM
It still looks fun, but safe, focus-grouped fun that everyone can garner a vague simulacrum of the feeling of joy from.

Guess that's the best we can hope for these days.

Jeremy Blackman

Oof, this is not looking any better.

Drenk

You know you're in trouble when you can't even make a good trailer.
Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Donald Glover is not just going to steal this movie, he's already stolen the poster.

Jeremy Blackman

Surprise! A negative review.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/05/solo-the-new-star-wars-movie-reviewed.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=traffic&utm_content=Culture&utm_source=newsletter&sid=

"Solo isn't a movie for the fans so much as at them, harnessing its makers' considerable skill and experience to gratify the urge for the familiar, with no pretense or aspiration of doing anything else."

polkablues

So theoretically, all the "Wah, The Last Jedi didn't feel like a Star Wars movie" people should love this one, then.

The Ultimate Badass

How many people on this board still give a shit about Star Wars movies, and if so, why? Serious question.

polkablues

To be completely honest, the only one I really care about is the original, and if that was all they ever made I would be perfectly happy with it. Beyond that it's just sort of varying degrees of "that's nice."

Alethia

Really only care about the original and Empire, and my feelings for them are soaked in nostalgia and an everlasting love of Harrison Ford. The soul was sucked out of the series long ago.

Lottery

I kinda walked out of The Last Jedi realising that I didn't really care about the franchise anymore.
The original trilogy will always be amazing to me though.

There appears to be a theme emerging here.

Kal

I'm happy when stories and characters that we care about have continuation, or we get to explore another side of their story, etc...

Star Wars is incredible because it has that potential. There is an incredible universe of characters, stories, planets, species, everything to explore. It's kinda neat from that perspective.

However, The Last Jedi is not exactly what I would call a great continuation of these stories and characters we loved growing up. It was pretty bad. And neither does releasing a new film every six months, which is making everyone sick of it. Solo is not a bad film, but it will suffer in the Box Office because people are starting to get sick of the whole thing. The quality has to improve, and they need to keep fans wanting for more as opposed to overdoing it with the amount of new content.