M. Night Shyamalan

Started by Xeditor, January 19, 2003, 10:35:37 PM

phil marlowe

Quote from: UglyApeDP

DP = Double Penetration. Right?

silentasylum

i think that there's something bigger going on in Signs that it makes you overlook the little flaws it has. he is truly a unique talent. the ending to the sixth sense was the first movie in which the ending in a movie blew me away.
J.C. Rangel

Cecil

snaporaz

the sixth sense was pretty good. unbreakable was flat-out stupid. signs was good only because it gave me the creeps.  :oops:

av8raaron

The Sixth Sense was pretty original for the time.  I think that proved to be part of the downfall of Unbreakable - people just got to expect that there would be some surprise or twist.  Signs was pretty decent - which is to say it was entertaining enough.
Fresh buttered toast.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: av8raaronThe Sixth Sense was pretty original for the time.  I think that proved to be part of the downfall of Unbreakable - people just got to expect that there would be some surprise or twist.  Signs was pretty decent - which is to say it was entertaining enough.

Signs was very laughable, I like the parts where everything is explained so bluntly.... "you were the kids who was famous for hitting homeruns, only to quit playing baseball because..."

ProgWRX

I really like his style...

mostly i see it this way :  He takes a film idea thats been done, and brings it down completely into a every-day kind of quality.  

Sixth Sense :  Afterlife, death, ghosts, etc. as REAL people would experience it, and not like most movies depict it (understatement!)

Unbreakable : Take a comic book story, about superheroes, but lets pose this as what would happen if there were REAL superheroes and super villains among us, they wouldnt obviously use purple lycra and whatnot.

Signs : An understated Alien INvasion movie thats not really about Aliens but about faith and signs and no coincidences, etc. Still, for an alien invasion movie, the movie is SO understated, that it creeps you out, because even if you dont believe in aliens, you DO get the feeling that IF there was ever a situation like that,  events like in SIGNS is what we would see, as oppossed to what happens in ID4...
-Carlos

cine

I don't know if other people feel this way, but I saw "Signs" on the big screen twice and loved it. I then saw it on DVD and it didn't have as much power to me. The parts that were supposed to startle didn't startle.. It just didn't have that overall effect on me on a TV screen.

cowboykurtis

i wish he would try directing screenplays that he didn't write. i think he's a much more talented director than writer.
...your excuses are your own...

Ravi

Quote from: cowboykurtisi wish he would try directing screenplays that he didn't write. i think he's a much more talented director than writer.

I feel the same way.  The dialogue in his films kinda makes me squirm.

Ernie

Let me elaborate....

Sixth Sense is alright (not a must buy)...Unbreakable sucks (just saw it in its entirety)...Signs fucking rocks.

cine

Quote from: Ravi
Quote from: cowboykurtisi wish he would try directing screenplays that he didn't write. i think he's a much more talented director than writer.

I feel the same way.  The dialogue in his films kinda makes me squirm.

I agree with all of that, however I liked the way he scripted "Signs".. it really worked for the film. Other than that, I'd rather see him solely direct.

MacGuffin

M. Night Shamalan to Direct The Woods

The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs writer-director M. Night Shyamalan has made a deal for two more pics with Disney, says Variety.

The first film will be The Woods, a thriller to star Ashton Kutcher, Joaquin Phoenix and Kirsten Dunst. Scott Rudin and Sam Mercer will produce and shooting will begin in October in Philadelphia for a summer 2004 release.

Set in 1897, The Woods tells the story of a close-knit community with a mythical race of creatures residing in the woods around them.

Shyamalan said that he could conceivably make a movie elsewhere between The Woods and the second Disney project if another studio offered him an irresistible book adaptation. He considered it likely that he'll go right back to work in an environment he feels comfortable in. He already has sketched out what the followup film will be, but wouldn't divulge it.

Shyamalan wrote one role specifically for his Signs star Phoenix and wrote the lead with Dunst in mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mesh

Quote from: XeditorThe movie really was not about whether aliens were real or not.  Hell it really had nothing to do at all w/ crop circles either....i mean they only showed like one in the whole movie.  It was about seeing the "signs" in life and using them later.  "Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"

Signs = A Prayer for Owen Meany/Simon Birch + an invasion by moron aliens.

That said, I think M. Night is a good filmmaker.  His movies are compellingly made and presented, but ultimately they're illogical, overly obsessed with "the occult" (for lack of a better term), and silly.  They get less and less tolerable upon repeat viewings.

Ernie

^Unbreakable definitely does. I hate it more everytime I see it. Signs never gets bad.

Let me just say though, The Woods sounds awesome. I love how open that plot description is....I hope it's as good as Signs.