Peter Pan?

Started by ProgWRX, December 09, 2003, 03:08:41 PM

ProgWRX

I searched for this movie but didnt find any threads regarding it. I saw a preview screening of it this morning. I have to say, I came in with low expectations, but was really pleasantly surprised! I am not too fond of "Hook", but this was a lot better, IMO.

The SFX arent that great, but we all know that doesnt make the movie. The acting was good, the kids were decent and the jokes were plenty (and not stupid). Overall a great movie for kids, although not as funny as ELF ;)

The Director is PJ Hogan (My Best Friend's Wedding, Muriel's wedding)
-Carlos

modage

i think this movie looks great.  the coldplay song in the trailer fits perfectly i think, and the movie looks really good.  i'm glad that they seem to be telling the story without pandering to kids and doing stuff to 'hip it up' or modernize it or something that would date it horribly, (*cough!  HOOK! or however that looks in writing).  i think that the Harry Potter films probably opened up the door for more serious movies aimed at kids without being like super action and super funny and no 'slow parts' etc.  so, i am really looking forward to this, like REALLY.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I'd give this movie a chance, but that trailer looks like shit and the Coldplay song is really the reason I hate it so much.  It's just so lame, it's almost like a joke it's so lame (not the song, the use of it)

godardian

Has anyone seen Hogan's last film, the straight to video Unconditional Love starring Kathy Bates and Rupert Everett? It has a really funny Don't Look Now joke (I guess Hogan is Australian). The rest is bad. Straight to DVD bad. Ugh.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I refuse to see it as it cannot possible compare to Hook, and I don't even want to kid myself with seeing it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 25th, 2003 (wide)

Cast: Jeremy Sumpter (Peter Pan), Jason Isaacs (Captain Hook/Mr. Darling), Rachel Hurd-Wood (Wendy Darling), Lynn Redgrave (Aunt Millicent), Ludivine Sagnier (Tink), Olivia Williams (Mrs. Darling), Richard Briers (Smee), Harry Newell (John Darling), Freddie Popplewell (Michael Darling), Rupert Simoneon (Toodles), Don Battee (Giant Pirate), Theodore Chester (Slightly), Harry Eden (Nibs), Carsen Gray (Tiger Lily), George MacKay (Curly), Sophie Wyburd (Jane)

Director: P.J. Hogan (My Best Friend's Wedding, Muriel's Wedding)

Screenwriter: Michael Goldenberg (Bed of Roses; cowriter of Contact); rewrite by P.J. Hogan (Muriel's Wedding)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: aClockworkWalrusI refuse to see it as it cannot possible compare to Hook, and I don't even want to kid myself with seeing it.

whens the last time you saw hook? i liked it when i was 10 years old, but rewatched it this year, and its pretty horribly dated.  the sets look like sets, and some of its pretty hammy.  i love spielberg but thats certainly one of my least favorites.  plus that was like, some modern "hes all grown up thing" and this is the real deal baby.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ProgWRX

Yes indeed. Hook BLOWS compared to this. Even if the special effects arent terribly cutting edge, the rest of the movie MORE than makes up for it. The guy who plays Hook is brilliant in the role, and the kids are great...

Hook is easily (one of) Spielberg's worst.
-Carlos

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh, come on!  Hook rocks!  Who cares if it's not Spielberg's best film?  It's one of the best kid films I've ever seen.  I guess that's just my opinion.  The humor is still funny to me now (a bunch of jokes I get now that I didn't back then) and it still has the same "awesome kid movie quality."  It was no epic and it didn't pretend to be.

It gave you exactly what it came off as.

In a nutshell, Hook rocked my fucking socks off.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ProgWRX

hmm when was the last time you saw it? Seriously.

Its really really awkward. Robin Williams is truly horrid and i feel sorry for Dustin Hoffman...

Now, for a "awesome kid movie quality" that still stands the test of time , look no further than "The Goonies" and "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure". Hook doesnt even begin to compare...
-Carlos

Pubrick

give a shit about the trailer/tool-of-the-devil. i just know this will suck.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

..this is not going to be worth payin gmoney to see.unless your a peter pan afficianado....

it's all bout the movie poster:

1)when the tagline is along the lines of ......"like you've never seen it before"
thats really bad and a poor exscuse for a tagline...(i would have used tinnkerbell or something..which brings me to my next point)....)

2.)do you nnotice that on the poster that the trail of pixie dust(i.e. the flight of tinnkerbell) is COUNNTER-CLOCKWISE it's was an unnnconnscious decision by the marketers to do this that way..this is going "agianst nature and the order of time"......which signniffies that the plot will be disjoinnted....

3.)the pirate ship that is pictured has the overly cheesy and cliched "skull and two crossing swords" on the sail..if this is "like i have nnever seen it before" then why did they do this?????

4.)the kid at the top of the poster is "over-acting" the moment..do yoou nnotice how he's "studying" the centerpiece like he is reading braille?????

5.)the fact that they show captian hook in an "overly" dramatic pose it ludacris....it should have been subtle....but they choose to do it this way....so expect they effects to overcompensate for the story..

6)the gold lettering of the film's title should have been done in cursive .which denotes elegance.....

7)the director's previous two films both have the word "wedding" in the title=NO ORIGINALITY...

8)the harry potter look-a-alike  complete w/the glasses......not good....

9)the screennwriter wrote bed of roses.(which had bon jovi in it)...

modage

i think the poster is cool, and if the movie is half as good as the trailer its going to be pretty damn good.

ProgWRX

it *is*...

/wonders if people read the actual first post or not...
-Carlos

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02i think the poster is cool, and if the movie is half as good as the trailer its going to be pretty damn good.

I wish someone here would see it and tell us if it was any good.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks