Seu Jorge

Started by Weird. Oh, July 13, 2005, 02:58:59 AM

Weird. Oh

For anyone near philadelphia this is for you.

...A few new shows announced below including a very unique show for one of our favorite actors - SEU JORGE. You probably know him as the charming aquatic team member with a guitar who plays David Bowie covers (in Portuguese) in THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU or as the good guy forced to turn bad, Knockout Ned in the Brazilian film CITY OF GOD (honestly one of the best movies ever) Seu is a big star in his native Brazil and will be coming the US for the first time ever. He will be perfuming your favorites from The Life Aquatic as well as his own original material

Tue Sept 13th - Seu Jorge (pele from life aquatic/knockout ned from city of god) @ First Unit Church Sanctuary
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

NEON MERCURY

haha...i thought it was cool that sue covered the bowie songs in por2geese in life aquatic...its just fitted wes geek odd-ball humor...but i can't think of anybody who would actaully go to one of his shows..unless you speak/understand the language..then thats reasonable...

pete

I have two of his CDs and some stuff downloaded from his earlier band, carioca farofa.  really fun music.  I also found a live MTV CD on the net.  this guy is cool.  I love that brand of brazillian music.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

I saw him last night, it was sooo incredibly fun.  it was at the museum of fine arts, the crowd was 1/3rd brazilian, 1/3rd NPR adults, and then 1/3rd hipsters.  I was there with like three really good friends of mine and it was a rocking good time.  I took the pain of teaching myself all his songs (the ones on the three albums I own along with his old band Farofa Carioca) in portugese and the titles of the songs so I could shout request.  However, he didn't take any requests (he didn't play any song from farofa carioca except a bossa nova version of their funk hit Moro no Brasil) except from the Brazilians in the crowd who were shouting I think like old pop songs and folk song requests.  He didn't speak much English and they bantered mostly with the Brazilians in the crowd.  there was no bowie cover either.  The band was composed of 5 people- him, a bassist, and three percussionists who switched instruments and all of them took turns playing the cavaquinho.  the percussionists were these late teen-to-20 something dudes, who stole the show during the intermission and showed off physical comedy and some real real educated percussion stuff.  then Seu came back with a really really funky rendition of Carolina, in which everyone got up and started dancing.  the last song in his set was like this folk song, and you could tell he was trying really hard to convey the meaning to the audience, trying to act out the words (the chorus was something about a socio problema) and then in the end he quietly spoke, in broken English (but with good vocab and announciation) about how he grew up in Brazil, and the men and women who worked so hard to survive, and that he saw "no difference between them and you" and talked about how proud he is as a Brazilian, and he and his friends will raise their daughters to be a new generation of Brazilians, ones that will make the whole world proud.  It was a bit more eloquent than that (but not that much more) and I started crying.  It was a powerful moment.
Then the crowded clapped soooo hard for the crew to come back for encore.  They did the aforementioned requested medley of pop songs and a lot of the Brazilians stood on either side of the auditorium (it's got stadium seating) and were singing and dancing.  I didn't knew the words but I knew how to mambo, so I got up at my seat and started dancing and the whole place just all got up too and it was I dunno, like the ending of Cradle Will Rock or something, it was sooo fun.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton