Free Fiona

Started by Film Student, December 06, 2004, 08:19:47 PM

Film Student

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I thought it deserved its own thread in the hopes of drawing as much attention as possible.  

The website is www.freefiona.com (admin-added space for proper linkage), and on january 24th, they're asking that anyone who hopes to eventually hear "extraordinary machine" in its entirety (legally) to send something Apple-themed to that dunce Andrew Lack at Sony/Epic.  

Here it is directly from their website:

How can I help? Send something with an apple theme - a fake apple, a real apple, a photo OF an apple, a piece of paper with an apple sticker, a sketch of an apple, even an apple pie - be creative! - to Andy Lack at Sony with a note attached. You can write a real letter or just scribble "Free Fiona!" on the envelope - whatever you want.
On January 24th, 2005 (see next question), send your themed-package or letter to:

Andrew Lack
550 Madison Avenue
32nd Floor
New York, NY 10022

"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=6&u=/ap/20041222/ap_en_mu/music_free_fiona

Petition Seeks to Free Fiona Apple Album

Wed Dec 22, 3:17 PM ET   Entertainment - AP

By BRUNO J. NAVARRO, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Fiona Apple (news) fans wondering when the artist's third CD would see the light of day might want to keep an eye on one enthusiast's online petition.

Dave Muscato, a Missouri musician and Apple afficionado, founded the Web site www.freefiona.com last month in an effort to pressure her record label to release "Extraordinary Machine." Apple's follow-up to "Tidal" and "When the Pawn ..." reportedly has been finished since May 2003.

"They didn't think it had enough commercial appeal to justify the cost of promoting it and distributing it," Muscato recently told AP Radio. "So even though it was already recorded, they'd already spent the money to record it, they basically decided to just cut their losses and stick it on a shelf."

A message left at Epic Records, Apple's label, was not immediately returned Monday.

For every signature on Muscato's petition, the Free Fiona! campaign plans to send a fake apple to Andrew Lack, the CEO of parent company Sony BMG, "as a symbol of protest and support for Fiona Apple," he said. A demonstration outside Sony headquarters in New York is also planned on Jan. 28.

As of Monday, the Web site has gathered more than 2,600 signatures. It also raised nearly $1,000 from donations and sales of T-shirts and bumper stickers, Muscato said.

"It's really taken off faster than I thought," he said.

Muscato, 20, says he had heard a couple of tracks from the unreleased album that were leaked on the Internet, so he's not worried he's going through all this trouble for an album that might not be worth it.

"Even if it's no good, which I'm sure isn't the case, I would at least like to buy it and decide that for myself," he said.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

bigperm

Safe As Milk

Thrindle

Classic.

Ghostboy

Thank you for posting those, Bigperm. As I mentioned before, as long as these tracks continue to leak, I can deal with the album not being released.

That said, I think I'll express my actual opinion of them in the official Fiona thread....

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=4655&start=30