New Pete Yorn

Started by polkablues, April 16, 2003, 04:00:11 PM

polkablues

"Day I Forgot", in stores as of yesterday.  I'm giddy with girlish glee.  "Crystal Village", "Pass Me By", and "Long Way Down" are my favorites so far.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

i am really not sure how i feel about this album.  i love love love musicforthemorningafter and it put pete yorn in my top 10 current artists for sure but i cant help but feel let down with the follow up.  although the old saying is that you get your entire life to write your debut album and a few months to write your follow-up, i guess is true.  it doesnt seem like a step too far in a new direction, nor does it feel as personal, or like he took as much time with it.  there are tons of melodies etc. that are enjoyable on this album, but it really feels like a few new tunes strung together and less like a cohesive work of art.  oh well.  the songwriting just seems hurried.  it "sounds" like pete yorn but not as well written.  i felt the same way with Travis 3rd record and Badly Drawn Boys "Have You Fed The Fish".  burrito is catchy but the lyrics make me embarrased that i am really listening to a song called "burrito".  does anyone else agree?  disagree?  is there anyone who actually PREFERS this album?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

I loved musicforthemorningafter as well.  Day I Forgot is solid still but not nearly as great.

I felt the same way with Badly Drawn Boy's Have You Fed the Fish? as well.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cowboykurtis

Quote from: SHAFTR
I felt the same way with Badly Drawn Boy's Have You Fed the Fish? as well.

the hour of bewilderbeast is such a great album.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

yeah i love bewilderbeast, although i think i love the about a boy sntk. as much.  both so different but good.  the new one has a couple tracks on it, but overall does not live up to those.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.