What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Neil

you really think you don't get the full effect from audio books?
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Stefen

Quote from: Neil on November 25, 2009, 12:56:56 PM
you really think you don't get the full effect from audio books?

I can't do audiobooks or a kindle. I never remember what I hear/read. I need an actual book. It's weird.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

Just finished it...

kind of research for a script, kind of amazing.  gets into the broad scope of the tunnels, whereas dark days put it more under the microscope of a few people.

highly suggest reading it:

the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

I'm reading the book itself. I'm a sports lover so my basic interest is self evident, but this book is amazing. Originally written in the early 1960s, the author went around the country talking to old time great baseball players. Ty Cobb had just died and a lot of other greats were nearing their end so the author got them all to contribute to this book and reminscience about their memories of playing baseball in the early 1900s. That's all there is to this book. Just over 300 pages of collected memories. It feels like priceless reading, really.

Reinhold

socketlevel, i ride the 2 every day from harlem to soho and from time to time if the train is moving slow enough you can see these amazing abandoned stations or storage spaces or something in the light from the train-- they're absolutely covered in graffiti and look like pretty much the coolest place ever to explore. every time i see them i want to figure out a way to check them out (fully aware of the $500 ticket and possible jail time).
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

A Matter Of Chance

SiliasRuby

Just finished Sadaris' 'When You Are Engulfed in Flames'. Starting 'The Stand' By Stephen King tonight. He's one of my literary heroes and I've read a lot of his stuff but not this.... Then I might re-read 'Helter Skelter'. I've become obsessed with that case.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 11, 2009, 07:11:42 PM
Then I might re-read 'Helter Skelter'. I've become obsessed with that case.

If you're interested in Manson himself, this book is a very fascinating companion piece. 

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

Its on my christmas wishlist.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Neil

couldn't find one online. took one, i should be working on finals.

socketlevel

Quote from: Reinhold on November 26, 2009, 09:14:32 AM
socketlevel, i ride the 2 every day from harlem to soho and from time to time if the train is moving slow enough you can see these amazing abandoned stations or storage spaces or something in the light from the train-- they're absolutely covered in graffiti and look like pretty much the coolest place ever to explore. every time i see them i want to figure out a way to check them out (fully aware of the $500 ticket and possible jail time).

you should read this for sure then, it's pretty amazing stuff. it depicts freedom tunnel in the 90s, where all the best graffiti was done. you kind of get a brief history of graffiti, more specifically american graffiti.  there is so much in that book, and it's told in an unapologetic tone. harrowing and bleak, check it out.

it's not just the jail time and ticket you'd have to be wary of, but mainly the wild west lawlessness down there.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Neil

Killer book, I encourage anyone interested in art/philosophy to check it out. We are the image culture.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Found this for $1 at a thrift store.  Heavily, heavily encouraged read.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Champion Souza

The Making of Fantastic Mr. Fox

Heads On and We Shoot: The Making of Where the Wild Things Are

Sort of a holiday gift to my self.