"Hello Tomorrow" - Jonze Adidas 1 Commercial

Started by modage, March 28, 2005, 04:20:49 PM

modage

apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but i saw this in theatres a few weeks ago and said to myself "if the guy who made this ISNT michel gondry or spike jonze, he is going to make some great movies oneday."  but now i just found out, it is spike jonze.  cool commercial can be watched here:

http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/commercials/1586/

i didnt even recognize that it was karen o on the song because the music was so different from the yyy's (and i hadnt made the jonze connection yet.) but i remember it coming on in the theater and being totally transfixed by it.

Jonze Get Smart for Adidas Adidas "Hello Tomorrow"
For the agency's latest effort for Adidas, TBWA/Chiat/Day/San Francisco enlisted director Spike Jonze to create a sublime dream world in a spot that is sure to be a fixture at this season's awards shows. "Hello Tomorrow" -- Jonze's first commercial since directing Ikea's Grand Prix-winning "Lamp" spot -- promotes "the world's first smart shoe," a sneaker with an embedded microchip that adjusts to its owner. In turn, the spot shows a dream-like world that's entirely customizable. "No product has existed like this before. It's sort of like you're creating a whole new world with every step," Chiat/Day ECD Chuck McBride says of the idea behind "Hello Tomorrow," which was influenced by his teenage memories of navigating boats at night. "From there, I had the idea of someone waking up in pitch black, in a floating bed, and having them take their first steps again." When the spot's protagonist opens his eyes, the shoes tumble magically to his feet (one of Jonze's many touches, according to McBride), and the surfaces they touch become illuminated. After discovering that he can create doors and control the environment, the everyman star goes for a jog through city and forest, escaping a bear by hurdling sideways in a gravity-defying move. At one point -- in a very Being John Malkovich moment -- he uses the shoes to create an inverted sidewalk/escape route just a few feet off the ground. The haunting soundtrack that accompanies the surreal midnight run was created by Jonze's brother Sam Spiegel with vocals by Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman -- and Jonze's reputed gal pal -- Karen O. The spot is also notable for its lack of star athletes, who have been staples of the "Impossible is Nothing" campaign. McBride says the agency consciously decided not to use a celebrity in order to put forth an everyman philosophy. "In looking at an intelligent product, it's about personalization and the individual," McBride says. "And one of the best ways to express yourself as an individual is through creativity. My hope is that it has a positive message about what the world is about."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

I keep seeing this on TV and being ashamed that I think it's so cool
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

Holy shit, I always liked this commercial. This makes sense. I would like to know how Jonze made it.
WWPTAD?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Stefen

clipses what happened to that boy adidas commercial with TMac was better, you guys act like you've never seen a Nike ad or any sports related ad. Just cause it's Jonze you bust all over it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Stefenyou guys act like you've never seen a Nike ad or any sports related ad.

See, I have, but this one's good. I actually remembered this one after I saw it, not knowing Jonze did it.
WWPTAD?

squints

i love this commercial...any ideas where to get that song?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Quote from: Gamblor Ain'tWorthADollar
Quote from: Stefenyou guys act like you've never seen a Nike ad or any sports related ad.

See, I have, but this one's good. I actually remembered this one after I saw it, not knowing Jonze did it.

The fact remains, which most of the peeps here aernt aware of, and that's that Nike makes really great ads. Most of the time they don't even advertise their product, just an idea. The editing and cinematography is always amazing and I wouldn't be suprised if they have some top shelp talent working for them. You wouldn't even know what the ad was until it had that swoosh at the end as a bookmark. They got a couple playin right now for the ncaa tourney that features a mongoose and a cobra battling, just amazing stuff.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

Quote from: StefenThey got a couple playin right now for the ncaa tourney that features a mongoose and a cobra battling, just amazing stuff.
u act like u've never seen a cobra and a mongoose battle before. just cos it's nike u bust all over it.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

i haven't seen it displayed in that way. do you get this commercial in yur neck of the woods?

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

modage

Quote from: squintsi love this commercial...any ideas where to get that song?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Quote from: squintsi love this commercial...any ideas where to get that song?
full 2:13 song NOW available for .99 on iTunes.

squints

Quote from: flagpolespecialjonze could do a second volume to his director's label dvd. that would rock.

Just bought the first one what great videos, especially the Pharcyde video and the Fatlip documentary
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

squints

Some blog links the "Top 5" Spike Jonze commercials. I hadn't seen a couple of these. The Ikea one is funny.

http://chump-style.blogspot.com/2007/01/top-5-spike-jonze-produced-commercials.html