Nefarious "Search" Button -how to / help with.

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, July 19, 2005, 12:15:41 PM

Reinhold

Quote from: Bethie on April 22, 2007, 02:00:54 AM
QuoteInternal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@xixax.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks for nothing, losers.

this is happening again.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

pete

is the search button working for anyone else?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: pete on April 27, 2008, 06:51:10 PM
is the search button working for anyone else?

The story behind that is that the site has accumulated five years of content that it's sucking up the shared server when someone performs a Search, so Dreamhost has cut our Search function. I'll let Michael Wilson explain:

QuoteIn a nutshell, here's what's happened. We've known for a long time that the searches take too long and they often times don't work because the database is so big. And, because you're on a shared server with other users (probably hundreds of other sites), when one person on Xixax does a search, it locks out every other site on the same physical machine because Xixax's search is taking up 100% of the server's resources. So, Dreamhost disabled your search ability. Which allowed you to "play nice" with everyone else on the box. They're suggesting that you now get your own server. Which would make Xixax a nice, fast place to play, but it also costs about $100 per month. So basically, it looks like you have 2 choices. 1: Lock out the search feature completely, or 2: get a dedicated server.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

we can't just set search parameters to only check a year or two back?
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

pete

whats the latest on the search button?  when's the server change?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: pete on April 17, 2009, 02:17:11 PM
whats the latest on the search button?  when's the server change?

The switch to a new server proved to be far too expensive. So we were forced to stay put.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Convael

So the search function is gonna stay put as it is?  I just picked up Rebels on the Backlot and wanna see what people here had to say about it...

polkablues

The search feature is not getting better anytime soon.  I'm afraid you'll have to rely on the somewhat less reliable "admin finding it for you" feature.

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=7177.0
My house, my rules, my coffee

Convael

Jeremy Blackman

This was once mentioned somewhere else, but I'll bring it back to the surface.

For an alternative search method, put "site:xixax.com" in a Google search. So if I wanted to find Xixax posts on Mates of State, my search would be "site:xixax.com mates of state"

The catch is that it can't search the member-only forums, because they're not available to the Google bots. Idle Chatter, for example.

E: Well crap. That search doesn't find my July 29 post on Mates of State in this thread. Maybe the bots haven't come around in a while.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pas

Dude the search is back on alright!! Couldve told us earlier!

:D

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

polkablues

Well, for god's sake be gentle with it, everyone. The last thing we want is them yanking it out from under us again.
My house, my rules, my coffee