The Shawshank Redemption - appreciation thread

Started by filmcritic, September 11, 2003, 02:43:17 PM

filmcritic

I was just sitting at work today getting goosebumps thinking about how great this movie is. It's become an american classic and I think it deserves it. I loved Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins in their roles and the some of the twists and turns that take place. By the end of the movie, I really felt great to be alive...and not to be in jail! Very few movies have made me feel good about being a human being. Truly touching!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

rustinglass

It's very good.
It was my favourite film for a long time.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Find Your Magali

And let's never forget whose original story it was.

Darabont did a brilliant job, but the ingredients for almost everything that's masterful about that movie are in King's novella.

Banky

Quote from: Find Your MagaliAnd let's never forget whose original story it was.

Darabont did a brilliant job, but the ingredients for almost everything that's masterful about that movie are in King's novella.

agree

NEON MERCURY

..yeah filmcritic..this film is great it was also my favorite film for the longest time..until requiem was released.

Finn

I treasured every minute of this movie. Thomas Newman is simply one of our very best score composers and this score really proves that.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

R_Y_A_N

SHAWSHANK is waaayy to sentimental for my taste (perhaps ive grown too cynical?)

also, morgan freemans voice over makes me want to gag

Find Your Magali

Quote from: R_Y_A_NSHAWSHANK is waaayy to sentimental for my taste (perhaps ive grown too cynical?)

also, morgan freemans voice over makes me want to gag

Well, other than those two deeply insightful criticisms, what did you think of the movie?

R_Y_A_N

QuoteWell, other than those two deeply insightful criticisms, what did you think of the movie?

trite, crass sentimentalism. it bored me.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

R_Y_A_N

Alexandro

every time I think about how popular this movie has grown to be, it just makes me happy. i remember reading an article on some magazzine that said this film was "oscar bait" but it wasn't likely to get any nominations cause it was destined to flop...the reasons: prison movie, dramatic situations, and above all, the title..."if there were an oscar for worst title of the year, this would be a sure winner"....the film didn't made a lot box office then, but now it's an american classic...

it's such a beautiful film about hope and friendship...you don't see a lot of movies where two guys are just best friends...great

Pubrick

Quote from: Alexandroit's such a beautiful film about hope and friendship...you don't see a lot of movies where two guys are just best friends...great
great review.

also i would like to say that i appreciate this movie.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

According to Variety, Frank Darabont says he is working on the 10th-anniversary DVD of The Shawshank Redemption, which will include 90 minutes of extras such as his commentary, documentaries and a parody of the film. A theatrical re-release is planned for September.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

Quote from: MacGuffinAccording to Variety, Frank Darabont says he is working on the 10th-anniversary DVD of The Shawshank Redemption, which will include 90 minutes of extras such as his commentary, documentaries and a parody of the film. A theatrical re-release is planned for September.

long overdue