The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 04, 2012, 10:16:45 PMWait... So, Jeremy, You haven't seen ANY footage or still from "The Master" yet?

:saywhat:

I only saw the first trailer. I've seen stills, but only ones directly posted in this thread. I've already been spoiled enough. Ideally, I'd like to know absolutely nothing about the film.

bxt101

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on August 03, 2012, 07:29:23 PM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 03, 2012, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: children with angels on August 03, 2012, 03:03:05 PM
Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 02, 2012, 03:21:29 PM
Quote from: MrBurgerKing on August 02, 2012, 02:31:17 PM
wow thats amazing, I didn't see that.

does anyone know why philip seymour hoffman rides a motorcycle? that seemed a bit random in the trailer. is it something about achieving mental freedom?

Because just like Howard Hughes, L. Ron Hubbard liked the desert... He spent sometime (Again, just like Hughes) riding bikes in the desert.

Yes, that's what I figured too; on that front, it also immediately brought to mind Melvin and Howard, which I believe is one of PTA's favourites.

Yeah... We've already talked about the "Melvin and Howard" references..

There's also so much HARD EIGHT and BOOGIE NIGHTS in that movie... So many shots that PTA "borrowed". 

I don't know who's in charge here but I propose that we start a "Xixax References/Connections" thread. Kinda like IMDB connections but BETTER, because IMDB connections fucking SUCKS. I've sent a ton of references and they NEVER post them, even if they are obvious.

Like the way BOOGIE NIGHTS begins like 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

The way Boogie Nights begins like 2001: A Space Odyssey.. How so?
I always felt that There Will Be Blood began like 2001: A Space Odyssey, as everyone knows in both films not a word is spoken for a very long time, but the key comparison is that just as the Apes find their "tool" so does Daniel Plainview (He draws the pulley system on the notepad), Just as 2001: A Space Odyssey's opening depicts the turning point for humanity, TWBB's opening the turn of the century for prospectors, so on so forth

Your references are a treat InTylerWeTrust, good digging!

Are there any dedicated threads -- perhaps separated by movie -- for PTA shot references? There are a few much talked about references for certain stand-out shots, but I'm curious to see a more complete catalog of obscure and subtle references. Screenshots -- like those above -- would be nice, too. There's a shot in TWBB that references another in Andrei Rubylov -- I've never before seen it mentioned (though I would be a bit disappointed if no one here had noticed)

InTylerWeTrust

1st teaser came out May 21st.

2nd teaser came out June 19th.

Trailer came out July 19th.

Movie comes out September 21st.

Anyone care to guess what will they put out on august 19 - 21?
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

Reel

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 08, 2012, 10:37:10 PM

Inherent Vice.

*super duper optimistic guy

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Reelist on August 08, 2012, 10:40:14 PM

Inherent Vice.

Or the first teaser of that Metal Gear Solid film he's been prepping...  I heard Matt Damon's playing Solid Snake.

Brando

Quote from: Reelist on August 08, 2012, 10:40:14 PM

Inherent Vice.

I was so excited for that project but now I feel it's dead. Admittedly, it only came about cause the thing he really wanted to do and been working on for a while fell through but the idea of downey playing a pot smoking detective in the 60s directed by PTA and based on Pynchon novel was very exciting. You reminded me I can now read the book instead of waiting for the film.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: Brando on August 08, 2012, 10:55:10 PM

I was so excited for that project but now I feel it's dead.

Why is Inherent Vice "dead"?  I thought Megan Ellison agreed to finance both THE MASTER and "Vice"?

Brando

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 08, 2012, 10:57:22 PM
Quote from: Brando on August 08, 2012, 10:55:10 PM

I was so excited for that project but now I feel it's dead.

Why is Inherent Vice "dead"?  I

I don't know it's dead.  But it only came about cause the Master lost it's funding or whatever it was. It seemed like something for him to direct while the Master got up and running again. I hope he directs it and it's a possibility but I wouldn't be confident in saying for certain that's his next project. Maybe I'm misreading it but it seemed very quick after it became news that The Master wasn't going to be shot that Inherent Vice was announced like it was something to do instead of moping over the Master but maybe he planned to shoot it after The Master all along and the situation presented itself.  I'm just pessimistic person in general so doubt it'll one of his projects.

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 08, 2012, 10:57:22 PM
I thought Megan Ellison agreed to finance both THE MASTER and "Vice"?

You must of updated your post cause originally the line about Megan Ellison agreeing to finance both didn't show up originally. I didn't hear that. But I already wrote the post so I'm gonna continue to believe it's not happening.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Pubrick

Quote from: Brando on August 08, 2012, 11:01:45 PM
You must of updated your post

You of should've definitely of considered of editing of your of post.
under the paving stones.

Brando

I went to an art school. So I took drawing courses instead English courses which is evident.   In the short time I've been posting here I have come to realize my grammar is significantly worse than I thought. I always knew it was bad.  JB was the first to point it out.  I realize it when I see the mistake but just overlook it. 

rjmjr

http://www.themasterfilm.com/ gets a major update and we have a robust, official website to pour over.

Robyn

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: KarlJan on August 09, 2012, 11:33:36 AM
'The Master' Confirmed For Venice; Running Time Listed As 137 Minutes

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.se/2012/08/the-master-confirmed-for-venice-running.html

137 minutes? Thats too short!  :(   

BTW... SPOILER ALERT?

I read the first 20 pages of the script today and I realized that about 90 percent of the footage that they have shown us (in the 2 teasers and the trailer), takes place within the first 20 pages of the script. Except for a couple scenes that come much later.

Which means that even after watching the trailers, theres still TONS of stuff that we havent seen. I say this with relieve because I thought I had sort of spoiled the film for myself after watching all the trailers and looking at all the stills.  :yabbse-grin:

Robyn

I'm just happy that it runs over 2 hours.