Oscar Predictions and Final Awards Comments

Started by MacGuffin, February 27, 2004, 12:31:11 PM

soixante

I look forward to Sofia Coppola's next film, whatever it may be, more than Peter Jackson's next film, which is a remake of King Kong.

I don't equate scale with quality.  Lost in Translation was an intimate character sketch, whereas Lord of the Rings was like a gigantic landscape painting.  But I'll take Picasso's pencil drawings over an 8-foot tall Thomas Kincade painting.

I get the feeling that Lord of the Rings will not wear well with time, as its CGI effects will seem dated in 10 years.  Keep in mind, in 1959 everyone thought Ben-Hur was the greatest film ever made, now it plays like camp.

At the end of the day, Lord of the Rings is dependent upon effects that will seem antiquated as technology continues its relentless march.  Lost in Translation will hold up better with time, as it relates a more human experience that isn't beholden to cinematic gimmicks.  It simply tells a simple (but not simplistic) story about a life-altering love affair -- who cares if they consummate or not.  Sometimes the smallest, most intimate things that happen to us have the greatest significance.  What this film captures is something that might seem unimportant, like a glance or a casual conversation in a bar -- little moments in life that we'll remember on our deathbed.   When Bill Murray whispers in Scarlett Johannson's ear at the end, this has more dramatic impact than 100,000 CGI soldiers arrayed in picturesque columns.
Music is your best entertainment value.

soixante

I thought it was really cool that Sofia Coppola mentioned Godard, Fosse and Antonioni as influences in her acceptance speech.

And then Sean Penn mentioned not only the other nominees in his category, but he gave props to un-nominated actors like Paul Giammati.

Weak2ndAct

So, I had to be at fucking work tonight, so I missed the Oscars live and settled for an EP tape.  And boy oh boy, what a perfect way to end up watching them.  After fastforwarding through speeches, tributes to the future zombies, and other blah blah, I blew through the show in under an hour.  I'm happy for ROTK, Jackson and the posse, they put their collective balls on the table and it paid off.  I'm not enthusiastic or anything, but better this then say... Gladiator, Shakespeare in Love, Titanic, etc.  A couple thoughts:

- Okay, I haven't seen Mystic River, so I can't necessarily say Sean Penn did/did not deserve the award, but god-fucking-dammit I so wanted Murray to win.  It just blows.  I couldn't help but laugh when Penn was taking the stage and the announcer mentioned he was nominated for 'i am sam.'  The most extraordinarily lame thing about Penn winning is that it was the ONLY time the whole night I was *surprised*.

- Three Cheers for Errol and finally getting his dues!

- Will this clean sweep stick in the sheep's minds long enough, so that when next year's awards roll around,  we get some diversity and surprises to the show?  Again, I love Rings, but I shudder at the thought of Academy Members just checking off the same movie in every box.

- Renee Zellweger is evil.  Evil evil evil.

Myxo

This had to be one of the most boooorrring Oscars ever.

Two thumbs down.

Chest Rockwell

I thought the awards were OK. I really do hate sweeps, and while RotK probably deserved all the technical awards coming for it, I don't think it should have won namely Best Adapted Screenplay. Probably not Best Picture either, but I'd be fine giving Jackson the Directing award. The only reason driving me to give it any of those awards is just the fact that a lot of work went into the trilogy, which I feel is a lame excuse. There were MUCH better films this year, obviously Lost in Translation being top of my list, and though they may have taken only a few months to complete and only a few million to fund, they should be rewarded moreso than the big gigantic picture that wasn't as good.

I'm sad too that Bill didn't win, but I bet this won't be his last chance at the podium. His career has taken a new turn with this film and also the Anderson films, and I think he prefers doing those films now as opposed to Osmosis Jones. I think Sean should have won it sometime before this year, or else sometime after (as he'll probably be nominated many more times). It's just a tragedy the Academy snubbed the comedic performance, though.

But on a side not, yes, Scarlett was simply beautiful. I thought Naomi was, too.

Redlum

Is Bill's role in Life Aquatic gonna be good enough for a return visit, maybe? I just felt so sad for him but apart from that I enjoyed the show very very much. If Billy Crystals opening video and song turn up on the internet I'll be extremely pleased.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Pas

Good points, soixante.

In like 20 years, LOTR will be looked upon as a cheesy classic "a la Star Wars", fun but dated.

About Sofia's winning, I agree with it. Who should have got it if not her ? And the thing about Kubrick never having one and her yes being stupid is irrelevant, since anyone getting an oscar and Kubrick none is stupid.

Anyway to get some speeches on the net, I feel asleep during the LOTR song or another one of these new age thingy I don't recall.

Edit : Oh, and YESSSS for Denys Arcand !!!

Redlum

You can get all the speeches here:
http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/

"Thank you. If there's one thing that actors know, other than that there weren't any wmds -- it's that there is no such thing as best in acting. And That's proven by these great actors that I was nominated with as well as the -- as well as the Giamattis, Cages, Downey Jrs., Nicholsons, etc. that were not nominated. We know how great all of you were. My daughter Dylan and son Hopper find it presumptuous and embarrassing to write a speech, and so I'm gonna give it a go without. God, I really thank Clint Eastwood professionally and humanly for coming into my life. The great, great cast that I had to work with, my friends. Where do you go? Dennis Lehane, Brian Helgeland, Ma. Dad. Robin, for being an undying emotional inspiration on this roller coaster I'm learning to enjoy. Thank you all very much. "
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

SoNowThen

Quote from: themodernage02a few notes/thoughts from myself....

1. the oscars dont neccesarily mean shit.  sometimes they get it right and award the right movie/person, and in those cases its icing on the cake.  a lot of times they dont, and the person/film is soon forgotten.  oscar worthless to anyone but them.  

that having been said

2. charlize theron, unfortunately, will soon join a list of people who won oscars for standout performances, the likes of which they will never repeat.  adrien brody, hilary swank, charlize theron, etc.  these are not names anyone will remember in 50 years time.  tom cruise, if the bastard never gets one, will be.  the worst thing that could've happened to theron was to win tonite.  all the buzz/notice the nomination got her could've put her safely on a list of actresses continuing to do good work, but unfortunately i doubt it will happen.  this is the high point of her career/life, and its all downhill from here.  i feel sorry for her.  

3.  sofia coppola is a similar situation.  she's too young, and she just doesnt deserve it.  for her to have an oscar and stanley kubrick to be without one is like a fucking joke.  its her second film, its goals were small and they were mostly accomplished.  unfortunately now comes the worst: trying to follow up a huge unexpected success with another one.  even if her next film is 'as good' as LiT, it wont be lookd at the same way, because then expectations were none and we were wowed more easily.  now shes an oscar winner and all eyes are on her next project or two.  if it runs in the family, she'll freeze up and probably never get this level of success again.  so again, her career/life is downhill from here.

4. lord of the rings, even though i am not a HUGE fan of the series, and the latest is possibly my least favorite with the most problems, i'm really glad they won and i think they deserved every one.  its almost ridiculous to even have to compare a movie that probably took 6 months from idea to final cut, to one that took 6 years.  one that took 1 month to film, or 1 1/2 years.  so sure, it wasnt perfect, but the goals were real fucking high, and you have to A. give them credit for trying and B. award them for getting most of the way there.  lost in translation is a beautiful sketch on a piece of paper.  lord of the rings is a 30 foot painting.  the figures arent perfect but shit, they went for it.  so good job to peter jackson for doing his part in helping to legitimize the fantasy genre and for the second sequel EVER to win best picture, (the FIRST where the predecessor didnt win).  wow, i never would've expected this a year ago.

highlight of the show was the ferrell/black song.  hilarious.  they need to work together.  heres my dream cast for a new comedy...
ben stiller, jack black, owen wilson, will ferrell, vince vaughn.  they've all worked together in multiples of a few, but never ALL in one movie.  THAT would be funny.

lowpoint, although i dont think murray deserved to win for this performance, i wanted him to win because he'll probably never be up again and i know HE wanted to win.  penn will be up 100 more times and now that depps in the club he probably will too.  poor bill, maybe by some long shot he'll be up for Life Aquatic if its really good (since the academy is usually ALWAYS a year or two late awarding people.)

Cheers. A really really really good post!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02a few notes/thoughts from myself....

1. the oscars dont neccesarily mean shit.  sometimes they get it right and award the right movie/person, and in those cases its icing on the cake.  a lot of times they dont, and the person/film is soon forgotten.  oscar worthless to anyone but them.  

that having been said

2. charlize theron, unfortunately, will soon join a list of people who won oscars for standout performances, the likes of which they will never repeat.  adrien brody, hilary swank, charlize theron, etc.  these are not names anyone will remember in 50 years time.  tom cruise, if the bastard never gets one, will be.  the worst thing that could've happened to theron was to win tonite.  all the buzz/notice the nomination got her could've put her safely on a list of actresses continuing to do good work, but unfortunately i doubt it will happen.  this is the high point of her career/life, and its all downhill from here.  i feel sorry for her.  

3.  sofia coppola is a similar situation.  she's too young, and she just doesnt deserve it.  for her to have an oscar and stanley kubrick to be without one is like a fucking joke.  its her second film, its goals were small and they were mostly accomplished.  unfortunately now comes the worst: trying to follow up a huge unexpected success with another one.  even if her next film is 'as good' as LiT, it wont be lookd at the same way, because then expectations were none and we were wowed more easily.  now shes an oscar winner and all eyes are on her next project or two.  if it runs in the family, she'll freeze up and probably never get this level of success again.  so again, her career/life is downhill from here.

4. lord of the rings, even though i am not a HUGE fan of the series, and the latest is possibly my least favorite with the most problems, i'm really glad they won and i think they deserved every one.  its almost ridiculous to even have to compare a movie that probably took 6 months from idea to final cut, to one that took 6 years.  one that took 1 month to film, or 1 1/2 years.  so sure, it wasnt perfect, but the goals were real fucking high, and you have to A. give them credit for trying and B. award them for getting most of the way there.  lost in translation is a beautiful sketch on a piece of paper.  lord of the rings is a 30 foot painting.  the figures arent perfect but shit, they went for it.  so good job to peter jackson for doing his part in helping to legitimize the fantasy genre and for the second sequel EVER to win best picture, (the FIRST where the predecessor didnt win).  wow, i never would've expected this a year ago.

highlight of the show was the ferrell/black song.  hilarious.  they need to work together.  heres my dream cast for a new comedy...
ben stiller, jack black, owen wilson, will ferrell, vince vaughn.  they've all worked together in multiples of a few, but never ALL in one movie.  THAT would be funny.

lowpoint, although i dont think murray deserved to win for this performance, i wanted him to win because he'll probably never be up again and i know HE wanted to win.  penn will be up 100 more times and now that depps in the club he probably will too.  poor bill, maybe by some long shot he'll be up for Life Aquatic if its really good (since the academy is usually ALWAYS a year or two late awarding people.)

You want to get a beer and go bowling sometime?  You summed up my own thoughts about the show just about perfectly.

Raikus

The funniest Oscar moment for me was when the announcer called out Johnny Depp's name as one of the nominated actors and he turned and said "What?" to the camera thinking there was someone there.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.  :)
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

mogwai

my oscar night was waking up at 4:00 am (7:00 pm, california time) and watching the boring categories like best fluffer or something. so i switched over at another channel where they showed the best little whorehouse in texas. that was fun for about 5 minutes or so. and i switched over and it was pretty awful, i don't mind dedication to people who died and so. but the oscars makes it so vomit inducing that i nearly had enough. it's like: clap at the actor who meant a lot to you. we'll miss em for sho but i don't like the oscars way. i was shocked to see that sean penn was present at the oscars. that lead me to believe that he was going to win after all. i feel a bit sorry for murray but what ya gonna do? tough competition this year with depp and other dudes. so i was kinda glad that sean penn didn't look pissed off.

soixante

Actually, Stanley Kubrick has won an Oscar, for Best Special Effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey.  It is the Best Director trophy that forever eluded his grasp.  But he is in good company -- Welles, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Godard never won Best Director either.  Does that put things in perspective?

At least the Academy saw fit to give Lost in Translation something.  Best Original Screenplay is a de facto "Best Indie Film" award -- Pulp Fiction, Fargo, The Crying Game, Good Will Hunting, Usual Suspects and The Piano.

On to the 2005 Awards, and Martin Scorsese's long-delayed Oscar acceptance speech..."I'd like to thank Harvey."

SoNowThen

Quote from: soixanteActually, Stanley Kubrick has won an Oscar, for Best Special Effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey.  It is the Best Director trophy that forever eluded his grasp.  But he is in good company -- Welles, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Godard never won Best Director either.  Does that put things in perspective?

At least the Academy saw fit to give Lost in Translation something.  Best Original Screenplay is a de facto "Best Indie Film" award -- Pulp Fiction, Fargo, The Crying Game, Good Will Hunting, Usual Suspects and The Piano.

On to the 2005 Awards, and Martin Scorsese's long-delayed Oscar acceptance speech..."I'd like to thank Harvey."

Good lord, I hope Marty never winds one, because he deserves to stay in that company.

And Good Will Hunting is a joke. Besides being a cookie-cutter script, it beat out Boogie Nights. BOOGIE NIGHTS!!!! Forever proving that every non-technical award is a total sham...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: soixanteActually, Stanley Kubrick has won an Oscar, for Best Special Effects for 2001: A Space Odyssey.  It is the Best Director trophy that forever eluded his grasp.  But he is in good company -- Welles, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, Godard never won Best Director either.  Does that put things in perspective?

well here's the question.  and both ways could be considered wrong, but do you

A. award the movie/actor that TRULY is the best in that catagory regardless of what they have previously done or will do?  (meaning great actors who are consistently great could go their whole lives without oscar recognition because they are constantly beat by flashier (possibly better) performances by actors who may never do that well again.)

or B. award the movie/actor that deserves it for the body of work.  sure Gangs may not be scorsese's best, but he should have an oscar so should we give it to him?  i dont think penn was his BEST in mystic or murray in lit, should we give it to them for their bodies of work (highlighted by a recent great performance)?  

either way sort of seems wrong, but i'd almost want to side with B, because its better late than never.  and like i said, it just seems wrong what respected actors/directors/films did not win an oscar and what flashes in the pan have.  but i guess thats just my opinion.  

Quote from: Chest RockwellThe only reason driving me to give it any of those awards is just the fact that a lot of work went into the trilogy, which I feel is a lame excuse. There were MUCH better films this year, obviously Lost in Translation being top of my list, and though they may have taken only a few months to complete and only a few million to fund, they should be rewarded moreso than the big gigantic picture that wasn't as good.
no, lost in translation is a fucking thimble they had to fill.  lord of the rings is a fucking swimming pool.  peter jackson could make a lost in translation in his sleep over the weekend.  sofia coppola couldnt make lord of the rings if she spent 100 years on it.  just because its not perfect doesnt mean its not MORE of an acomplishment.
look

--------------LOTR GOAL-----------------------------

----------------------LOTR ACHEIVED---------------
----------LIT GOAL-----------------------------------
------------------------------LIT ACHEIVED---------