FAVORITE CAR CHASES

Started by modage, June 12, 2003, 05:17:20 PM

modage

Entertainment Weekly just named their TOP 10 car chases.  thought it was interesting.  (this is not my list).

10. T2: Judgement Day
9. Charlies Angels
8. Death Race 2000
7. The Blues Brothers
6. Thelma & Louise
5. The Man With The Golden Gun
4. The Road Warrior
3. Ronin
2. Bullitt
1. The French Connection

hmm, some good chases.  Charlies Angels seems a bit out of place (free advertising for sequels maybe and T2 as well?)  what do you think?  you can check out the list for yourself at www.ew.com if you want.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Raising Arizona is mine, hands down.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Dirk

The Matrix Reloaded chase was insano. That's my vote (although I haven't seen Ronin yet, which I heard is real good).
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

modage

the ronin chase is really good.  the matrix reloaded is conspicuously absent.    i guess its "too new", although obviously one of the great chases ever staged.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02Charlies Angels seems a bit out of place.

The one that seems out of place is "Thelma And Louise." It doesn't exactly seem like one would say: "Did you see that car chase in "Thelma And Louise"? That was awesome." Like you might with the others.

Quote from: themodernage02(free advertising for sequels maybe and T2 as well?)

I doubt it. It was a pretty cool chase between the motorcycles and big rig in the river beds in "T2, " especially when the rig jumps off the overpass.

The chases in Walter Hill's "The Driver" were pretty cool also.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Keener

Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

children with angels

I agree with The Blues Brothers being placed. That's the movie that springs to mind when someone says "car chase" to me. Oh, it happens a lot.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

Quote from: DirkThe Matrix Reloaded chase was insano. That's my vote (although I haven't seen Ronin yet, which I heard is real good).

ronin is good, but the reloaded car chase is the best ever, imo of course. i'm never wrong tho. i've never seen a theater audience go so wild during a movie before.

Ghostboy

The one in Reloaded was great, and probably the most intricate car chase to date, but it wasn't as intense as some others I've seen. And I think Blues Brothers tops it, even, just for sheer virtue of carnage -- knowing that they really drove that car through the mall, and that that stunning pile up was real. I know a lot of the stuff in Reloaded was real, too, and all the CG was flawlessly integrated, but it just felt...cleaner.

Ronin has some great ones. That list overall is pretty right-on, but I'd have included Matrix Reloaded and taken off Thelma and Louise, and I don't even remember a car chase in Charlie's Angels (other than the race car scene). And on the wall of shame, I'd put Gone In 60 Seconds...a movie about cars without one good car chase.

Word on the street is that Bad Boys 2 has a car chase that will knock your socks off. The trailers substantiate that rumor pretty well. In conclusion, I love a good car chase.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyAnd on the wall of shame, I'd put Gone In 60 Seconds...a movie about cars without one good car chase.

The should have copied the chases from the original, cause those were far better.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jklivin

There's one in 'Against All Odds' that really blew me away as a kid. Anyone remember it?

Is the era of great car chases over since now they can CGI anything they want? Isn't one of the great things about a car chase saying, "I can't believe they did that!"?

SoNowThen

Jade (even though everything else in this movie sucked)

To Live & Die In LA
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

Since there's been no mention of the Bourne Identity yet, uh, the Bourne Identity. Still doesn't top Bullit and Blues Bros., but it's the best recent one.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

pete

gonna top all of yalls with What Up Doc.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

context, context, context.