Sigur Ros

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 18, 2003, 11:12:58 AM

Jeremy Blackman

I recently picked up Ágætis Byrjun, the first Sigur Ros album I've heard. My first experience with Sigur Ros was much like my first experience with Radiohead... curiosity followed by intense bliss followed by obsession. Now that I'm more attuned to the album, every time I listen to it I have to suspend my disbelief that music can be this beautiful.

Please, someone review ( ) for me and MacGuffin, feel free to redirect me to the thread that mentioned it ...

Sleuth

( ) is a little more raw sounding than AB, and it starts off really well, but overall I'd have to say AB is a better album (is there any song more beautiful than Staralfur?)

Definitely get it too, though
I like to hug dogs

Dirk

Yeah, I'd say AB is definetely better (probably my fave album with OK Computer) but it is a great album nonetheless. If you love AB, I'm sure you'd like (). By the way, if you become anymore obsesssed, they have a single with 3 "new tracks" on it and their 3 videos coming out on April 22nd. Also, try to find the Svegn G- Englar (sp?) single if you have the chance. It has 2 album tracks and 2 amazing live songs. Definetely worth it.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Jeremy Blackman

Dirk, you are now officially my music guru.

And I plan on checking out Godspeed You Black Emperor....

Xixax

OFF TOPIC:
After the Xixax user raves about this "Mogwai" of which I have heard so much, I have begun to try to get into their music. I just can't. Everything I've heard has just been this moody guitar noise stuff.

I want to like them. I really do. But I don't.

Now, return to the previous Sigur Ros topic.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XixaxEverything I've heard has just been this moody guitar noise stuff.

I like Mogwai, although I've only heard "Rock Action"... if you want the weightier stuff, go with Radiohead I guess, but Mogwai can be superior in the, umm, "moody guitar noise stuff" department... very fun music in my opinion.

Dirk

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanDirk, you are now officially my music guru.

And I plan on checking out Godspeed You Black Emperor....

Ah, thanks. If you have a patient ear, you'd probably like GY!BE too (their songs clock in usually at 20 mins or so). I recall you getting Mogwai's Rock Action so GY!BE would fit in nicely with that. I would recommend "Life Your Skinny Fist Like Antennas to Heaven", which is a double discer. http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004ZD69/qid=1048033645/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_2/702-2843702-5160818
Cheers.

p.s if you end up obsessing over GY!BE, I can give you some more recommendations.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Sleuth

I like SR and GYBE, but I too cannot "get" Mogwai
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

moody guitar noise stuff is good.
under the paving stones.

Sigur Rós

I listened to the new Godspeed you blackemperor and I didn't really like it. I know this sounds stupid, but it's a lot of noise without any obvious connection.....I know you guys are going to slaughter me :-D

I like Sigur Rós much better. I've listened to them for many years. The singer is related to me (not to boast). I think overall that AB is the best album. Mainly because its's a perfect work of art. ( ) isn't really anything new, but really fantastic though, maybe a little bit darker. It doesn't have the same integrity as AB. The first 4 tracks are amazing!! :-D

Ghostboy

I just saw their show tonight in Dallas. Definitely the best concert I've been to in the past few years, if not ever...they know how to put on a damn fine show. I wish I had had a better seat...it was at a really small venue and I was in the very front at first, waiting for them to come on...and then I had to go the bathroom. Oh well, win some, lose some.

I really appreciated how they came out and took a bow afterwards and then clapped along with the rest of the audience...it brought them down to earth after all that beautiful noise.

moonshiner

first experience with this band yesterday...listened to the first track of ( ) in Borders a couple days ago, obsessed about them the whole night, then picked up the cd first thing yesterday morning...it's unbelievable the emotions they evoke.....

edit....i'm obsessed, just picked up AB
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

phil marlowe

sigur ros is popular

Pubrick

Quote from: Phil Marlowesigur ros is popular

hahah.ah.

it's true, we're so lame.
under the paving stones.