Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

kotte

godardian

I just saw von Trier's collaboration with Jorgen Leth, The Five Obstructions; von Trier has Leth remake his 1967 short, The Perfect Human, with all these impossible guidelines, and we see their conversations about it and the resultant films.

Some slightly more detailed thoughts on my blog.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ordet

I really want to see this Godardian. Will I ever?

great web page by the way.

Borges' quote... :infinity:
were spinning

godardian

Quote from: Roman CibelesI really want to see this Godardian. Will I ever?

great web page by the way.

Borges' quote... :infinity:

Thanks.  :)  I'm sure the film will get an art-house circuit release sometime soon.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

so was it good, or what
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: Pubrickso was it good, or what
Go to the blog and see for yourself. Or would you like someone to hold your hand?
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Just Withnail

It sounds pretty good from godardian's review, but is there any way to get hold of the original short?

phil marlowe

Quote from: WithnailIt sounds pretty good from godardian's review, but is there any way to get hold of the original short?
all i know is that they are selling a vhs compilation of three jørgen leth shorts on the danish film institutes website -- the perfect human should be among them but it's quite expensive and i doubt it's subtitled.

www.dfi.dk

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver BulletGo to the blog and see for yourself. Or would you like someone to hold your hand?
that wasn't necessary.

i asked because he could have easily said "i liked it," and then offered more explanation at his blog. my only obligation, when i click on xixax.com, is to read what's on xixax.com. if he wants to partake in conversation at xixax, he could at least hav offered part of his opinion here, all we got was a synopsis and that was the simple request i was making. this is a reasonable request considering Godardian's trademark (long interesting posts i don't hav to go to another site to read).
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

You know I love you, P.

[I'd put an emoticon here, but...well, you know...]
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Just Withnail

Quote from: the real phil
Quote from: WithnailIt sounds pretty good from godardian's review, but is there any way to get hold of the original short?
all i know is that they are selling a vhs compilation of three jørgen leth shorts on the danish film institutes website -- the perfect human should be among them but it's quite expensive and i doubt it's subtitled.

www.dfi.dk

Well, I'm norwegian so there isn't really a great language barrier. And thanks a bunch for the site. Not only do they have the VHS, but I just noticed you can buy a fucking DVD with "The Five Obstructions" that contains the original short! Greeat. And it's not even that expensive.

MacGuffin

Danish director drops Ring movie
Source: Associated Press

Danish filmmaker Lars Von Trier has dropped plans to direct a production of the Ring der Nibelungen cycle at the Richard Wagner Festival in Bayreuth, the festival said Friday. The "Dogville" director said he realized his vision for the production, scheduled for 2006, "would clearly exceed his powers" and fall short of the festival's high standards, festival organizers said in a statement. The festival said it was sorry about the decision because preparations had been going on with some success since 2001. No replacement has been named. "It was not easy for him to accept the growing knowledge that he apparently would not be able to reach his goal," festival organizers said of Von Trier.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Von Trier + humility = ???

Very interesting.  A first.  A shame, too.

rustinglass

An upcoming project, already mentioned by kotte in this thread:
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=6841

Quote from: Empire OnlineThe film, to be called Antikrist, is not yet written but the plot involves an American biologist coming to believe that nature is a place of evil, causing him to seek therapy (well, you would, wouldn't you?) and thus allowing for a discussion of von Trier's rather out-there hypothesis.

I really don't understand why that kotte thread was locked, btw. This is news and speculation on the world of film.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Pastor Parsley

I still can't begin to imagine the ego that it would take to even consider, let alone actually going through with, adding "Von" to your own last name.