Johnny (ice cold) Depp

Started by Banky, October 29, 2003, 10:29:27 PM

Banky

I was suprised to find that there was no thread was for him other than "Best pirate ever" which is more focused on the Pirates movies.

Theres no real point in saying grand things about him because everyone knows he is the shit.

Roeper one said something like "Depp is now in a territory similar to Chris Walken where every role he plays is amazing" i completley agree

I just saw Donnie Brasco and i was just blown away and then decided to search for a thread.

please redirect if nescessary

cine

I've always loved Depp but thought he was overrated - until I saw Once Upon a Time in Mexico. His Sands got me hooked to him. One of those rare actors that can do all genres of film and make it look great. Benny & Joon rings a bell as a good example of this for his intriguing diversity.

Kal

he is the one that makes all his movies great...

fear and loathing in las vegas was excellent... but then again, some movies that were crappy like 'sleepy hollow' or 'once upon a time in mexico' were saved because of his performance

TheVoiceOfNick

I will always think of Johnny Depp as the guy from 21 Jumpstreet... and "Eddie" in Tom Petty's video for "Into the Great Wide Open"...

Nick

Banky

i remember him in all of his performancees but this one particular

SoNowThen

Quote from: BankyRoeper one said something like "Depp is now in a territory similar to Chris Walken where every role he plays is amazing"

100% true. There's nothing else to say. To work with this man would be an honor akin to working with a 70's DeNiro.

I do believe his best performance was in Ed Wood. But Fear And Loathing does come in a close second...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ElPandaRoyal

Hhhhhmmmmm...... It's tough to chose his best performance, but I'dhave to go with Ed Wood.

And "Sleepy Hollow" rocks!!!!!
Si

NEON MERCURY

i always liked his..performance in this..way underreated film..

..in fact i'm getting this on the weekend..i forgot how good it was....Leo is badasss..also..

TheVoiceOfNick

And Mr. Cellophane himself (John C.) was in Gilber Grape as well... so that's a definate plus towards voting for the best Depp movie...

godardian

Maybe not his best performance, but Gilbert Grape is the first one to spring to my mind, as well...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ernie

Yea, Johnny's the best. He's like John Turturro - there's no one character that he'll forever be known as, they both look an act completely differently in every role they do and they always make it cool.

Anybody ever seen Cry Baby or Arizona Dream? Love those movies. They don't get talked about enough.

picolas

he's a genuine genuine character actor. i'm a fan of those.

Banky

yeah know he sounds all french

Newtron

Lucinda Bryte

I'm a fan as well.

The thing that annoys me these days is now that he is finally in big blockbuster movies, you have the screaming fangirls... at the movies... talking and being annoying.

BOO ON FANGIRLS I SAY!