character names?

Started by prophet, March 02, 2004, 02:54:56 PM

SoNowThen

So so so agreed!!

Wes is wonderful at it, and as mentioned before, Coens too. That's one of the reasons I love Intolerable Cruelty. I could say "Rex Rexroth" and "Miles Massey" all day...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Redlum

Quote from: SoNowThenSo so so agreed!!

Wes is wonderful at it, and as mentioned before, Coens too. That's one of the reasons I love Intolerable Cruelty. I could say "Rex Rexroth" and "Miles Massey" all day...

...and "Heinz, the Baron Krauss von Espy"

But yeah, Wes Anderson is just brilliant at the names. Why does Dignan have no last name? On a side note, I think Dignan must be one of the greatest characters ever invented he's truly amazing. The spirit and mis-guided enthusiasm they wrote into him, it really touches me every time I watch that film.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

Quote from: RaikusI'm very big into finding the proper names for my characters. I always put some thought in it and come up with something that could be read into if you looked hard enough. Even if that means finding the definitions of names to reflect attributes towards the character.

Quote from: MacGuffinI have a book of baby names that lists their origin and meaning. I like to put a subconscious/hidden "message" in a character's name; whether it relates to the character or his/her story.

I'm with both Raikus and Mac.. I'm exactly like that when I write.

Slick Shoes

I love the name Herman Blume. It just rolls off the tongue...

Preston Sturges was good with unlikely names.

molly

i've avoided this issue in my writings, but i can't any more. To name a character is a hard job, and a long one.
My sources for now are catholic calender and phone book. I've found a website with all kinds of names and their meanings, but i lost it. Stupid.

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: mollyI've found a website with all kinds of names and their meanings, but i lost it. Stupid.

So find it and share  :wink:
Si

molly

i've tried the google, and when you enter name meanings, you get plenty of websites with all kinds of names and their meanings, also with search buttons. This one is good:http://www.behindthename.com/