Michael Bay Worship Thread

Started by modage, January 24, 2004, 11:56:06 PM

squints

The mere thought of a michael bay remake of the birds obstructed my bowels and made my head explode.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cowboykurtis

brett ratner should remake vertigo
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

Did you miss this, or were you just being sarcastic?

Ratner suffers from 'Vertigo'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Brett Ratner has signed on to develop a remake of the Hitchcock classic 'Vertigo' for Universal Pictures, Imagine Entertainment and producer Brian Grazer. The script, to be written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, reportedly will adhere more closely to Hitchcock's source material, the French novel 'D'entre Les Morts' by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac. "It's a wonderful novel," says Grazer, "and it deserves a faithful adaptation." He adds, "With Brett onboard, we're looking forward to presenting a new perspective on a classic tale." Grazer previously produced Gus Van Sant's remake of 'Psycho.'

SiliasRuby

and PTA should remake Rear Window with John C. Reiley in the James Stewart part.
I really hope that Bay doesn't remake it, but if he does and people crucify him for it maybe he'll start to make much more interesting films like van sant did after Psycho
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

squints

FACT/RULE/COMMANDMENT: You don't remake/reimagine/carbon copy Hitchcock
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

SiliasRuby

Of course you don't. I was joking around. That would be absolutely terrible if he did, and I would be really really disapointed, not that I'm already kinda disapointed in him. The island MIGHT (and that's a big might) change my mind.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ravi

Quote from: GhostboyDid you miss this, or were you just being sarcastic?

Ratner suffers from 'Vertigo'

Brett Ratner has signed on to develop a remake of the Hitchcock classic 'Vertigo' for Universal Pictures, Imagine Entertainment and producer Brian Grazer. The script, to be written by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, reportedly will adhere more closely to Hitchcock's source material, the French novel 'D'entre Les Morts' by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac. "It's a wonderful novel," says Grazer, "and it deserves a faithful adaptation." He adds, "With Brett onboard, we're looking forward to presenting a new perspective on a classic tale." Grazer previously produced Gus Van Sant's remake of 'Psycho.'

If Shia LeBeouf is in the cast, this would be the ultimate Xixax nightmare.

Alethia

Quote from: Ghostboy
Brett Ratner has signed on to develop a remake of the Hitchcock classic 'Vertigo' for... producer Brian Grazer

FUCK.  fuckfuckfuckfuck are they serious?  they cant be.  fuck.  god damn it.

*sigh*

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I can't stand Michael Bay... I hear mixed things about the Rock, so I guess I'll see it again since I saw it when I was a kid and was entertained, I notice a lot of films weren't as good, and some were better than what I remembered from the movie.  

However, Pearl Harbor and Armageddon were totally shit.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Bay master of Domain in VFX stunner

George Lucas has Industrial Light + Magic, Peter Jackson has Weta, and now Michael Bay has Digital Domain.

Bay and private investment firm Wyndcrest Holdings, in which Bay is a principal, are set to announce today the acquisition of the 13-year-old visual effects studio. Bay and fellow Wyndcrest principal John Textor spearheaded the acquisition. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Bay broke the news to Digital Domain's 475 artists Monday at a companywide meeting at the Venice, Calif.-based studio.

"My simple goal is to make Digital Domain an effects powerhouse," Bay said in an interview after the meeting. "I think we can utilize this platform here to expand on production in terms of feature films and animation."

As a result of the acquisition, Carl Stork, Wyndcrest principal and former Microsoft executive, has been elected CEO. Bay and Textor will co-chair, while Stork joins the board of directors of Digital Domain. C. Bradley Call will remain Digital Domain president and chief operating officer.

Stork replaces outgoing CEO Scott Ross, who was the last remaining principal of the company founded in 1993 by Ross and Oscar-winning filmmakers James Cameron and Stan Winston. Cameron used Digital Domain to create the Oscar-nominated effects in 1994's "True Lies" and the Oscar-winning "Titanic."

Relations were strained between Digital Domain's management and Cameron following his "Titanic" production, which went over schedule and over budget.

Cameron and Winston ultimately resigned from the board at Digital Domain because of differing views on how the company should be managed (HR 8/20/98). Cameron and Winston have had little to do with the digital studio since then and in the meantime have formed their own respective shops.

Meanwhile, Ross sought to expand the company into original productions under the Digital Domain Films moniker (HR 3/4/02).

Parallel to those efforts, Digital Domain has continued to operate as a digital service bureau to a host of major studio, indie and commercial productions.

"The old owners are responsible for making it stagnant," Bay said. "They could not get along. The old owners didn't want to infuse it with cash, which is unfortunate because they have very good people and tools here."

Digital Domain has seen its business eclipsed during the past decade by such industry-leading effects shops as Sony Pictures Imageworks, Jackson's Weta and Rhythm & Hues. In the same period, highly competitive European facilities have risen because of production incentives abroad. Asian facilities also have taken a piece of the major studio effects jobs because of lower labor costs and financially lucrative co-production deals.

With new leadership and a cash-rich financial group to guide the company, Bay and Digital Domain execs hope to build on the original vision of the company while also expanding on potential business opportunities.

"We have a lot of work ahead," Bay said. "One of the ideas of this company has always been to make it more director-centric. That was Jim's vision; he had a really good vision, and I want to keep it great."

Building Digital Domain back up to its former glory will be a matter of aligning with top talent -- directors like David Fincher and producers like Jerry Bruckheimer -- while also expanding the digital studio's business units.

"We're targeting some of the best directors in the industry, and we'll also have key relations with producers, which should open up a whole new world of clients," Bay said.

Additional areas of expansion include computer-animated family films and video games, though Bay said he primarily was interested in those projects as a creative producer as opposed to directing.

"I would rather shoot myself in the head than sit on a greenscreen stage with actors covered in orange balls all day long," Bay said. "But I'm very interested in producing kid-friendly effects films, and I have always had a love for animation -- this could be my way in.

"I also love video games, but that's a whole area that needs a lot of investigation," he said. "It's not something you just move into lightly."

Another pending area of research and development is the commercialization of the studio's proprietary and Oscar-winning effects software. Thus far the company has brought to market Nuke, a Oscar-recognized digital compositing tool. The effects tool is sold through D2, the company's software subsidiary.

"We have four or five other tools that are very viable that we want to bring to market and package in order to support Nuke as more of a suite (of) tools," Call said. "We have had capital constraints in the past, but now we have the opportunity to turn that division around."

Stork will be key in the software subsidiary's evolution because it is his task to build out the studio's software platforms while also targeting other channels for the studio core visual effects business, execs said. While at Microsoft from 1981-2002, Stork was general manager of Windows 95/98 and general manager of hardware strategy and business development.

Bay is overseeing projects at his horror production company, Platinum Dunes, and also is in preproduction on DreamWorks' "Transformers." He said he has been taking notes from another famous filmmaker as to how to keep all his balls in the air.

"I'm working very closely with Steven Spielberg right now (on 'Transformers')," Bay said. "And I always ask him, 'How do you do it?' He's simply able to manage his time and do it well. I look at myself as an entrepreneur. I don't like to go out and fail. I've teamed up with very smart partners, and they're very committed. I think we all have a similar vision of where we want to take this studio."

Ross was not available for comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trio sees '2012' future
Bay, Orci, Kurtzman adapt book

Director Michael Bay and writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman -- the creative team behind the summer's "Transformers" -- are reuniting to bring sci-fi author's Whitley Strieber forthcoming novel "2012: The War for Souls" to the big screen for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Talks are in the preliminary stages, but it is known that Bay intends to direct, while Orci and Kurtzman will produce via their company Kurtzman/Orci.

Strieber's story centers on an academic researcher who discovers that multiple versions of Earth co-exist in different dimensions, but all are threatened by an apocalypse to occur in 2012 prophesied by the ancient Mayans. By opening a portal into a parallel universe, he makes contact with his double to stop the prophecy from being fulfilled. The book is due in the fall by St. Martin imprint Tor.

A search for a writer to adapt is under way.

"We've been looking for a way to have the kinds of thrillers that we are interested in that still take into account the latest theories and discoveries in Egyptology and in quantum mechanics and all those things that Mr. Strieber is so knowledge about," Orci said. 

"The idea of a man teaming up with himself to solve a cosmic mystery was way too good for us to pass up," Kurtzman said.

Kurtzman/Orci execs Steven Puri and Mandy Safavi brought the book into the company at the same time as Bay's producing partners Andrew Form and Brad Fuller got it via their exec Matt Smith. When Bay heard that the scribes had it, he called them up and suggested a team-up.

"2012" will be the third teaming for the trio, who first got together when the writers came on board to rewrite Bay's "The Island."

"It's been a great partnership," Kurtzman said. "I think we trust each other for what we all bring to the table. No one is better visually than Michael; the way he blocks out action is like no other director out there, and I think he trusts our story sense."

Greg Silverman oversees the project for the studio.

Strieber is known for such novels as "The Wolfen" and "Communion." His most recent novel, "The Grays," is being adapted by Ken Nolan for Sony, while "The Hunger" is in development at Warners. He is repped by Innovative Artists, Paul Canterna and attorney Lawrence Rose.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Prince of Persia Director Buzz
Who might helm the vidgame-to-film?

It's been known for awhile now that Walt Disney Pictures and mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer were planning on bringing the Ubisoft videogame Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time to the big-screen.

Now a report has surfaced claiming that Bruckheimer is tapping a regular collaborator of his to direct the highly anticipated project.

According to IESB.net, Transformers helmer Michael Bay will direct Prince of Persia. The site adds that Disney sources have confirmed that the studio is "hopeful" they will land Bay for the pic, which is reportedly earmarked for a summer 2009 release.

Bruckheimer and Bay have previously teamed for The Rock, Pearl Harbor, the Bad Boys films and Armageddon.

The game's creator Jordan Mechner penned a Persia script at one point, with screenwriter John August supervising it and serving as an executive producer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.