Royalty Free audio

Started by Recce, October 29, 2003, 09:57:45 PM

Recce

Does it exist? Where can I get it without paying anything? This includes audio effects and soundtracks, etc.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

TheVoiceOfNick

The motto "you get what you pay for" really applies to everything, but mostly to royalty free audio... you can look for sites online, but they audio will most likely be crappy as hell... it'll be low quality (like 22khz, 8bit, mono... or some variation)... don't do it... I would reccommend (at minimum) you go to ebay and type in "sound effects" or "sfx" or "royalty free" or "free music" or something like that... then buy some inexpensive library... it won't be the best or the most original, but it'll be better than downloading it off the net...

As far as music goes, the same applies... try getting something like Smart Sound... its a really cool innovative tool for creating soundtracks... its NOT great, but it'll definetly be better than downloading crappy loops from the net, or even worse, ripping off someone else's music...

Give it a try, and let us know your results!

GodDamnImDaMan

There was a site I actually used to go to when I was working on my short for class. It was called the "Sound Attic" I believe, it had tons of royality free audio, however you had to pay a hefty fee to download the stuff, but they were stupid enough to provide you with hi quality previews of the songs (in complete) Which I would just plug into my other computer from my lab top and steal...

Anyway i believe it was called sound attic if u want to do a search for it.
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

TheVoiceOfNick

If you go to school with a good film/radio/tv/broadcasting department, they'll probably have CDs in their library that contains royalty free audio.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

If you have a library, they should have a sound effects CD somewhere (if your library lends out CD's) just burn that.

Now even Foley artists are pirated.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Walrus, KooKookajoobNow even Foley artists are pirated.

Very true, and very sad...   :cry:

prophet

i think that if you dont have any big budget the best thing to do is to have a local band or something do some music for you, because then you dont have any limitations on what you can do, unless you plan on making money with the film, then you need to make a contract or something.
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Jeremy Blackman

http://www.findsounds.com/

I posted this somewhere else... can't remember where...

MacGuffin

Moby offers tracks to filmmakers
Artist provides tunes to independent films
Source: Variety

Moby has become the latest artist to give away his new music for free -- but to a select audience: He's giving it to filmmakers.
The multifaceted dance music artist, known for his album "Play," is offering tracks to indie, nonprofit and student filmmakers for their works via his website mobygratis.com. If the films receive distribution, he asks for a small fee that will be donated to charity.

Currently, Moby is offering 44 unreleased tracks; 11 instrumental tracks from "Hotel," six from "Play: B Sides" and three from "18."

"The biggest complaint I hear from my friends who are indie filmmakers is that they can't get calls returned from record companies or that licensing quotes are outlandish," said Moby, who minored in film at SUNY Purchase. "Whenever I tell anyone about this, people keep expecting a catch. There isn't one."

Moby has been alerting film schools and some independent film organizations about the availability of the tracks. He intends to add another 20 tracks to the site later this month.

"I structured it so that it's impossible for me to make any money from it," he said.

Moby most recently scored Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales," which will be released Nov. 14. Signed worldwide to the Mute label, he recently completed his next album, which will be released in March. "It's a fun dance record," he said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks