WORST COVER ART

Started by modage, May 20, 2003, 12:50:29 AM

©brad

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
The problem I have with Singleton is he makes "black films."  Films that try to make you feel sorry for black people, because of how the white man has oppressed him; films with unrealistic characters who act in unrealistic ways.  And any film that fades in to a Stop sign after reeling off statistics on violence you know is going to be a horrible, pretentious one.

have u even seen boyz in the hood? i think ur missing the point, for the film is less about how the white community has oppressed the black ppl rather about how black ppl are oppressing themselves. it's about this civil war that takes place in the black ghettos. remember, in the movie all the harassment the blacks get from the police is from other black cops. one scene in particular, the white cop is more passive and the black cop is more aggressive towards them. i believe its the scene with larence fishburne after his house gets broken into, i forgot cuz i haven't seen the movie in a while.

and please explain to me how that stop sign fade-in is pretentious, a term that is so loosely thrown around on this board that it has lost all meaning whatsoever. maybe its not subtle, which i'm guessing is why u have a problem with it. who cares about being subtle though, sometimes a lack of subtlety can provide for a more powerful moment.

MacGuffin

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaAnd any film that fades in to a Stop sign after reeling off statistics on violence you know is going to be a horrible, pretentious one.

How do you feel about the "No More Packin'" billboards that are everywhere in Spike's "Clockers"?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

There was no Pink Panther ref in this movie!

I don't like the covers for the Peter Sellers Collection.  Here's an example:

children with angels

Are you kidding?! That Army of Darkness cover is SUPERB!!! Pure ridiculous tack! Love it...!

(I've never seen that cover before and am excited)
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

bonanzataz

yeah, too bad i JUST bought the bootleg edition and the theatrical edition separately right before they announced this fucking boomstick edition. BASTARDS!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Banky

this has nothing to do with Covers but it was being discussed earlier.  FUCK SPIKE LEE.  What an egotistical piece of shit.  Granted he does have talne but i lost all respect for him when he sued TNN for changing thier name to Spike TV.  Lee said that they were trying to capitalize on his name.  As if when people hear his name they think of wrestling, Baywatch, and American Gladiators.  He has no ownership to the word SPIKE.

modage

plus his DVD cover SUCKS!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

instead of this

instead of this

or this

pretty much the whole alfred hitchcock collection passed over tons of cool poster designs for a still from the movie. :cry:

THIS

instead of this

or this

or this

or this

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Reefer Madness had a cover that made me expect more.  I wanted to see the insane drug abusers, but instead you see some guy's face in a small square.  So very uneventful.  *sigh*
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

filmcritic

I agree with just about all of those. There are some really great posters out there that should have been on the video case. But no, I don't understand it. For some reason, they insist on having the potential drained out.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

EL__SCORCHO

Even though the original is still pretty cool, I love the Italian Boogie Nights poster. very cool.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOEven though the original is still pretty cool, I love the Italian Boogie Nights poster. very cool.

Hell yeah!  Much sexier, much more attention grabbing IMO.

And the PDL cover, even though I love the contents, sucks ASS!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

ono

Quote from: EL__SCORCHOEven though the original is still pretty cool, I love the Italian Boogie Nights poster. very cool.
Any chance you could post a pic of it?

life_boy

Quote from: themodernage02

instead of this

instead of this

or this

pretty much the whole alfred hitchcock collection passed over tons of cool poster designs for a still from the movie. :cry:

THIS

instead of this

or this

or this

or this

Yeah, I wish they would do some DVD covers for some of the old movies like some of their original posters.  That would be cool (and would look quite nice).

modage

not the worst by any means, but the return of the peekaboo!!!