WORST COVER ART

Started by modage, May 20, 2003, 12:50:29 AM

modage

you know when a movie comes out and it has a really cool poster?  and then the video/dvd comes out and its some crappy stills from the movie badly photoshopped together, usually of big stars heads?  (the Out Of Sight video comes to mind as a particularly apalling example.)  

what are some of the worst video covers?  feel free to post pictures to compare.

apologies if this has been talked to death, but its something i really really hate.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

I know exactly what you mean.

...the poster wasn't that much better.

However, sometimes they make an improvement with the DVD.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

oakmanc234

I cant be bothered thinking of any at the moment but I'm sure sick of seeing Eberts and Roeper's 'Two Thumbs Up' on covers. It doesn't mean shit. Especially when excellent films have one stamped on their cover (e.g. 25th Hour) when films like 'The Mexican' do too.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Derek237

ugh.

Good movies. Bad covers.

Pedro

Quote from: Derek237

ARRRGGGHHH! That deserves SO much better.

Redlum

Covers blazened with awards really piss me off. I cant understand it from a marketting POV either. Surely those who give a crap about what awards a film has won etc, dont need a cover to tell them about it.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

godardian

Quote from: redlumCovers blazened with awards really piss me off. I cant understand it from a marketting POV either. Surely those who give a crap about what awards a film has won etc, dont need a cover to tell them about it.

I actually think they're trying to sell people who don't go to the movies and haven't even heard of most of them. I think the marketing people may divide markets into "moviegoers" and "home movie viewers," and they obviously don't think much of the home movie viewers' ability to think for themselves. They hope that when a dumb passerby sees a DVD cover screaming "awards! thumbs up!" that'll bludgeon them into buying/renting it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

thank god PDL wasn't nominated for any Oscars.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate when that stuff happens. Out of Sight sticks out the most for me as well. that was such a cool poster.

modage

MONSTERS BALL! yes. i forgot about that one. in college i actually did a 25 minute speech about how badly bastardizing home video art bugged me and monsters ball was a prime example.  its not that i was that fond of the poster, but what they are essentially doing here is tricking joe average into renting movie with halle berry "cause shes hot".  what i especially like is how her haircut is the one she wears in real life and doesent resemble in the slightest the one she wore in the movie and how she doesnt look a bit like her character.  

also
MAD MAX

FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH

EPISODE I & II

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

russiasusha

Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

Duck Sauce

All the ones where they blend in 8 different images and it looks like somebody just learned photoshop.

penfold0101

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Dirk

This one had so much potential
but alas, they used this
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.