What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

Robyn

well, 25...

Melancholia
Dancer in the Dark
Pulp Fiction
Godfather
Contempt
Eclipse
Tonari no Totoro
Weekend
Punch-Drunk Love
There will be Blood
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
The Loves of a Blonde
A Special Day
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
Zabriskie Point
Paris, Texas
Bonnie & Clyde
2001: A Space Odyssey
Solaris
The Free Will
The Lovers on The Bridge
Kicking & Screaming
Chungking Exoress
Zodiac
Hoop Dreams

HeywoodRFloyd

As most of you Xixaxers are genuine cinefiles, I thought I'd ask what your Top Ten Favorite films are.
I'll start off with mine.

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Eyes Wide Shut
4. The Godfather Part II
5. Army Of Shadows
6. There Will Be Blood
7. Taxi Driver
8. Amadeus
9. The Shining
10. Punch-Drunk Love

Honorable Mention:
Barry Lyndon

Reel

Taxi Driver
The Shining
Punch Drunk Love
Jackie Brown
Sling Blade
Ghost World
Body Double
Ordinary People
Adaptation
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Sleepless

It's been almost a year since I last made a list, so why not? Remember this is my 10 favorite films, not necessarily what I'd consider to be the 10 "best" films of all time:

1.   Jurassic Park
2.   There Will Be Blood
3.   The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
4.   Easy Rider
5.   American Beauty
6.   Distant Voices, Still Lives
7.   The Darjeeling Limited
8.   The Dish
9.   Ratatouille
10.   Fargo

1-5 are almost all on the same level. I think 1-8 would be fairly static in terms of my top 10 favorites, but 9 and 10 are liable to change depending on my mood.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: Sleepless on August 29, 2012, 11:06:28 AM
It's been almost a year since I last made a list, so why not? Remember this is my 10 favorite films, not necessarily what I'd consider to be the 10 "best" films of all time:

1.   Jurassic Park
2.   There Will Be Blood
3.   The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
4.   Easy Rider
5.   American Beauty
6.   Distant Voices, Still Lives
8.   The Dish
9.   Ratatouille
10.   Fargo

1-5 are almost all on the same level. I think 1-8 would be fairly static in terms of my top 10 favorites, but 9 and 10 are liable to change depending on my mood.

The Darjeeling Limited is my favorite Wes Anderson Film too! So underrated. That or The Life Aquatic.

InTylerWeTrust

I'll do a Top 10 of my favorite movies that I've seen in the last month:

1. The Intouchables (Probably the funniest and happiest movie I've ever seen. A joy to watch)

2. Les Diaboliques (A Clouzot Masterpiece)

3. Life Lessons (Short) (Most underrated of all scorsese movies, Nick Nolte is amazing and this is where Scorsese's "Goodfellas" style really began)

4. Leaving Las Vegas (Nic Cage's performance is WOW and Elizabeth Shue gives the performance of her career)

5. Road to Perdition (Up there with American Beauty, I dare to say is even better)

6. Matador (Probably the greatest opening scene of all time, that Almodovar is one crazy dude)

7. An american werewolf in London (when it had to be funny, it was hilarious... when it had to be scary, it scared the shit outta me)

8. Into the wild (I'm late on this one, I had it on queue but just kept delaying it. What a gorgeous film)

9. The Prestige (Let's not kid ourselves... THIS is the best movie Nolan's ever made. Memento comes close 2nd)

10. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Not as good as OLD BOY, but pretty damn good)

P.S:  Reelist, I really like your list dude... Glad to see BODY DOUBLE and GHOST WORLD in there. Love those movies.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

theyarelegion

Quote from: Sleepless on August 29, 2012, 11:06:28 AM

Echoing what Heywood said: it's great to see this in your top 10! Wes has made other first-rate films, but this one, for my dough, is his masterpiece.

...currently in rotation:

A Clockwork Orange
Punch—Drunk Love
Taxi Driver
My Darling Clementine
Marnie
Barry Lyndon
Gun Crazy
The Lady Eve

HeywoodRFloyd

I'll also give my rundown of the best films I've watched in August 2012.
(in no particular order aside from 'The Hunt' being the best)

Robyn

The best movies i've seen in August:

1. The night of the Hunter
2. The Cock, the thief, his wife & her lover
3. Cries & Whispers
4. Hugo Carbet
5. Sunset Blvd.
6. The Rope
7. M
8. Jurassic Park
9. Snow white and the huntsman
10. The Dark Knight Rises

polkablues

Quote from: KJ on August 29, 2012, 07:09:38 PM
2. The Cock, the thief, his wife & her lover

A typo and a spoiler at the same time!
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Neil

Top Five Films for me that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. Night of the Hunter
2. Rear Window
3. Modern Times
4. Magnolia
5. A Serious Man

one that I wish i'd added to this was, "sullivan's travels"

All american films.  I should expand my pallet.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

polkablues

Quote from: Neil on September 12, 2012, 03:17:20 PM
All american films.  I should expand my pallet.

If it helps, Hitchcock, Chaplin, and Laughton were all originally from England.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Rear Window is so damn close to being on my top 5. Idk why it isn't. I guess it's because I consider Hitchcock kind of like a genre unto himself, and it's definitely my fave in his filmography.

Neil

Hitch is most definitely his own genre Reel-dawg, i'll somewhat agree to that, and I thought chaplin was European, but I was too lazy to google it.

back to hitch, the way he refused to shoot no other way but on-set as opposed to on location for some sequences for instance, in torn curtain, outside the cafe where Heston and his female counterpart do a scene behind a projection; it really makes me wonder how stubborn he was, or how up to date/up his own ass he was.  This is one feeble reason that I feel supports your, "hitchcock being his own genre" statement, or even the auteur theory...

With regards to my list, I guess what i meant to say was western film makers. Am I correct in this attempted distinction?

-------I do like branded to kill a great deal. but my liking is purely aesthetic and i think it's too much of a shallow level of enjoyment at this point since i don't know a god damn thing about Japanese cinema to back up my thoughts on it.

EDIT: contents have been moved to my blog at www.sadeyedvictimofthelowlands.wordpress.com

my post 12-hour work list is this:

Alphaville - Pubrick, i know you've expressed your disdain, or rather of the lack of credulity that you give godard ( i realize that's a piss poor summary of your thoughts on Godard, but sorry, i'm just touching the surface here), so i'd really like to know your thoughts on this film.

Modern times - This movie does so many things that are going to continue to be relevant for a few hundred more years, if humans are still around then.

Last life of the universe - ( i need to learn more about this cinema too, but for some reason it transcends ethinicity for me and the way the movie is presented draws me in because, it's almost like malick's tree of life, in that they're both documenting common situations that needs no explaining and just resonate with you because of the instances or sequences transcend races, they're just human actions and reactions).

NIGHT OF THE HUNTER - 

MAGNOLIA - Such an earthly film that knows it's characters so well, and is so core cutting that its almost eternally conscious as a slice of transcendental lives.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.