Jim Jarmusch

Started by Tommy Both, February 06, 2003, 05:22:56 PM

Pozer

Quote from: flagpolespeciali like what jarmusch films make me think about.

This is why I love his films.

Ghostboy

Quote from: Garam

I'm not so sure about Jarmusch as a person. I adore that film.

I think he's a pretty amazing person, too. Curt and maybe a bit embittered, sure, but reasonably (and endearingly) so.

Gamblour.

I say yes to Ali, and god no to Dead Man.
WWPTAD?

samsong

Quote from: Gamblour on December 05, 2005, 09:26:43 PM
...and god no to Dead Man.

you deserve to be kicked in the balls.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsong on December 07, 2005, 12:16:05 AM
Quote from: Gamblour on December 05, 2005, 09:26:43 PM
...and god no to Dead Man.

you deserve to be kicked in the balls.

Have you been hanging out with SoNowThen? Brooding anger, man.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

SiliasRuby

Resaw Stranger Than Paradise, a really wonderful quirky film that I thought had pitch perfect tone and pacing. I have yet to see down by law, sadly.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

'Tom Waits said he would glue my head to the wall'
Laura Barton; The Guardian

When Jim Jarmusch speaks, it is like a man emptying out his pockets. "Wild Zero. Guitar Wolf. Where they're killing zombies. Rude Boy. The Clash. Performance which has Mick Jagger..." He says, as if picking through the bus tickets and half-sucked toffees of his mind, before alighting on something special: "Scorsese," he purrs, "is the classic."

In fact, Jarmusch is recalling his favourite musical moments in film. "Movies where a band plays I love, like Blow Up; or where it's a rock'n'roll film without music, where rock'n'roll is integrated into the film, it's an experience of the characters." And films with cameo appearances: "When a band will suddenly appear, like Ski Party or something, when suddenly James Brown and the Famous Flames appeared in the ski lodge."

He was less enamoured by Fastest Guitar Alive, which starred Roy Orbison. "He's very stiff. It's a predictable movie. Not a good movie." And dismisses also the popular trend for biopics such as Walk the Line and Ray. "I have an aversion to biopics in general. The Johnny Cash movie was well done but I couldn't get inside of it because it wasn't Johnny Cash and I'm a Johnny Cash fan." He then swoops back to Scorsese, whom he lauds for his use of songs such as Cream's The Sunshine of Your Love in Goodfellas, and the Rolling Stones' Jumpin' Jack Flash in Mean Streets. "It works because the music doesn't seem tacked on," he explains. "So often, music in films seems like wallpaper bought by the yard. Yunno, 'Give me 10 yards of hip-hop.'"

Music is an integral part of how Jarmusch works. "I always make mix tapes of songs that inspire me when I'm writing a script," he explains. "And often that will be the music I use in the film. Right now it's a strange mix of old blues recordings and music from the 15th century; English composers William Lawes and William Byrd, with Wanda Jackson, Boris, Tom Verlaine and Jozef von Wissen, a composer who uses lutes and little electronic things. I've also had a five-year Kinks obsession." Throughout Dead Man, for example, Jarmusch was listening to a lot of Neil Young and Crazy Horse, "particularly the solos". He then asked Young to score the film.

Jarmusch returned the favour with Year of the Horse, which documents Neil Young and Crazy Horse's 1996 tour. "We didn't know what we were doing, but that's what Neil likes to do sometimes. It's about doing it, and then you see what the hell it is later. I was talking to Jonathan Demme [who directed the 2006 Young documentary Heart of Gold] and we're polar opposites. He has a cleaner, more planned-out approach and mine is more intuitive, messier."

Jarmusch has also cast musicians in his film, and in turn directed videos for musicians who have acted for him. But he dismisses the idea that a video he has directed is a film of his in miniature. "I had a big fight years ago with Tom Waits. He said: 'Look, it's not your film. It's a promo for my song.' It was after Down By Law, and it was about the editing. But he was right. And it wasn't a fight. It wasn't anything that disturbed. It was an argument, just one night. I remember I locked him outside in the parking lot, and he's hammering at the door, and he's shouting through 'Jim! I'm gonna glue your head to the wall!' He didn't glue my head to the wall. But they're not really films of mine, they're films for a song. I learned that a long time ago."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

homesick alien

Well I adore Jarmusch's work. One reason is that he manages to seemingly seperate his own opinions and emotions of his characters, yet watches over them as they progress, or degress, through the film. He has an unattached adoration for his characters.

Pubrick

Quote from: homesick alien on July 02, 2006, 12:57:08 AM
He has an unattached adoration for his characters.

and i have an unattached adoration for newbs who introduce themselves. please do so here.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Jarmusch in 'Control' with Focus
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Focus Features and writer-director Jim Jarmusch are back together again. The distributor has picked up worldwide rights to the helmer's next film, tentatively titled "The Limits of Control."

The film will center on a secretive, mysterious outlaw (Jarmusch's frequent star, Isaach De Bankole) in the process of completing an undisclosed criminal job around Spain. As with Jarmusch's "Broken Flowers," the production is set to sign an international collection of bankable stars to add commercial value to Jarmusch's characteristically offbeat work.

"Control" is set to shoot in February in Spain. Longtime Jarmusch producer Stacey Smith and Gretchen McGowan will produce. Frequent Jarmusch collaborator Jon Kilik will executive produce. Focus Features International will rep sales at this week's AFM.

"Flowers," which starred Bill Murray and won the Grand Prix at the 2005 Festival de Cannes, earned $46.7 million worldwide to become Jarmusch's highest-grossing film to date.

Focus president of production John Lyons and senior vp European production Teresa Moneo will oversee the project on behalf of the distributor. Jarmusch and PointBlank Films were repped by Bart Walker of Cinetic Media in the deal.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sunrise

That's great news! I love Jarmusch and was hoping he had a project in the pipeline. Thanks for the update.

MacGuffin

Old pals back with Jarmusch
Source: Hollywood Reporter

BERLIN -- Jim Jarmusch has enlisted past collaborators Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton along with Gael Garcia Bernal for his upcoming thriller "The Limits of Control," sources said Tuesday.

The Spain-set road movie, which will be distributed in the U.S. by Focus Features, stars Isaach De Bankole. Veteran French actor Jean-Francois Stevenin has also come on board.

The movie centers on a mysterious loner as he attempts to complete a criminal job. The film, scheduled to shoot this month on Jarmusch's own script, is lensing in Madrid, Seville and Almeria.

A PointBlank Films production, "Control" is produced by Gretchen McGowan and Stacey Smith and executive produced by Jon Kilik.

The film will include a series of star cameos. Javier Bardem and Roman Polanski had been rumored for appearances but are understood not to be involved. Chinese star Zhang Ziyi ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") also has been mentioned for a role.

"Control" marks the third teaming between Jarmusch and Murray after "Coffee and Cigarettes" and "Broken Flowers," a commercial hit for the duo by art house standards. Swinton, who stars in the Berlinale competition title "Julia" from Erick Zonca, also appeared in "Broken Flowers" along with Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Chloe Sevigny and Julie Delpy.

Bankole is a Jarmusch regular, having appeared in "Night on Earth," "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai" and "Coffee and Cigarettes."

Focus Features International, which is selling the film at the European Film Market, did not return calls by press time.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Jarmusch's 'Control' underway
Murray, Swinton, Bernal star in feature
Source: Variety

With lensing undwerway in Madrid on Jim Jarmusch's tentatively titled "Limits of Control," the production has added more thesps to round out the cast.

Joining lead Isaach De Bankole and Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton and Gael Garcia Bernal are Hiam Abbass, Paz De La Huerta , Alex Descas, John Hurt, Youki Kudoh of Jarmusch's "Mystery Train," Jean-Francois Stevenin, and Luis Tosar .

Plot revolves around a loner whose activities remain meticulously outside the law, completing a job in contempo Spain.

Pic is second match-up between writer-director and Focus, which has worldwide rights. Longtime Jarmusch collaborator Stacey Smith will produce with Gretchen McGowan ("Coffee and Cigarettes") and exec-producer Jon Kilik ("Babel").

For Focus, production prexy John Lyons and senior VP of int'l and post production Allison Silver will oversee.

Skeleton FilmWorks