the DVD that you're most ashamed to own

Started by dufresne, May 16, 2003, 04:01:20 PM

dufresne

it just sits there, nestled between The Godfather Collection and 8 1/2 and I can't, for the life of me, understand what possessed me to buy it.

Pearl Harbor
There are shadows in life, baby.

xerxes

Raikus

Practical Magic.

It's not mine. It's my fiance's. But still, that damn movie looks so out of place in the collection.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

godardian

That's nothing. On my shelf, between Speaking Parts and Stardust Memories, you will find:

-Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
-Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
-Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Cones

...now, these TECHNICALLY belong to my partner; I gave them to him as Xmas presents. But since we co-own and co-shelve the DVD collection, I suppose I have to 'fess up and take half the shame.

These titles make me shudder, especially the Star Wars ones.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

My friend bought me Another Day In Paradise. But I fucking hate it so much, it wasn't allowed to sit on the shelf with the rest of the dvds, so I stuck it in a drawer until I sold it.

So right now I'd say the only bad movie I have is What About Bob, which I own just for the part where Dreyfus freaks out and yells getaaahellouttaaacarr!!!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

if you are ashamed to own it why did you buy it ???

SoNowThen

$8.   Only saw as a kid and remembered it being funny. Wasn't.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Quote from: SoNowThenMy friend bought me Another Day In Paradise. But I fucking hate it so much, it wasn't allowed to sit on the shelf with the rest of the dvds, so I stuck it in a drawer until I sold it.

It's my favorite Larry Clark, but that's not really saying much. I thought Kids was barely okay, and I really hated Bully. Tulsa is superior to any of his films. His images are much more effective when the people aren't moving and talking, I guess.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThen$8.   Only saw as a kid and remembered it being funny. Wasn't.

i was not talking to you, i was just speaking on the concept in general

ive rented tons of films that turn out to be shit, and i am embaressed to have anyone know i spent 4 bucks on it.

but i have yet to buy something then cringe , and i own so many dvds that my room is packed with cases

joeybdot

Alien 3 ( It Came With The Legacy Set!)

Forest Gump(I Did Not Buy It!)

Sleuth

that ONE version of Planet of the Apes
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

almost famous, my dad gave it to me on christmas. i actually think its a good film, but i dunno..... it doesnt seem to "belong." i think im just being prissy

Sal

"Body of Evidence," starring Madonna.  It's pure wank material.  I was red faced just bringing it up to the check out counter at Best Buy.

godardian

Quote from: Sal"Body of Evidence," starring Madonna.  It's pure wank material.  I was red faced just bringing it up to the check out counter at Best Buy.

However, first feature role for one Ms. Julianne Moore...  Or wait. Was that Hand That Rocks the Cradle? Anyways, I think you get to see her haul off and slap Madonna across the face. Worth the price of admission to me.

Rudie Obias

there's a beautiful thing called the record exchange where you can buy, sell or trade cds, video games and dvds.  i use that place often.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff