first rejection

Started by metroshane, October 01, 2004, 06:50:45 PM

polkablues

Quote from: P on August 16, 2010, 09:04:19 PM
knowing nothing about it other than the logline you quoted.. it sounds like the usual indie quirky bullshit that everyone loves to circle jerk over these days.

i wish miranda july would come back from the dead.

To be honest, it sounds way more interesting than most of the others listed.

QuoteLance Edmands (writer/director) / Bluebird (U.S.A.):  In the frozen woods of an isolated Maine logging town, one woman's tragic mistake leads to unexpected consequences.

Yawn.

QuoteCraig Zobel (writer/director) / Canary (U.S.A):  The residents of a small West Virginia coal mining town intersect and affect one another in surprising, often humorous ways, as their lives are  inextricably shaped by their surroundings.

Barf.

QuoteSydney Freeland (writer/director) / Drunktown's Finest (U.S.A.):  Three Native Americans-a rebellious father-to-be, a devout Christian, and a promiscuous transsexual-find their self-images challenged, and ultimately strengthened, as they come of age on an Indian reservation.

Dismissive wanking motion.

QuoteCao Baoping (writer/director) / How Many Trainings Must I Take Before I Can Be as Hard as Steel? (China):  After spending her entire adolescence fighting with her psychologically abusive mother, a young woman is forced to come to terms with the love underlying the hatred she feels.

:drool:

QuoteMyna Joseph (writer/director) / My Favorite Nightmare (U.S.A.):  A willful teenager, pregnant with her cousin's child and determined to get an abortion, travels to New York, only to discover her unpredictable father has followed her.

:brickwall:
My house, my rules, my coffee

bluejaytwist

can "dismissive wanking motion" be added to the marquee loop at the top of the page?
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

polkablues

Ask and ye shall receive.

matt35mm

Loglines are always terrible, and you can't tell anything about the movie from them.  The basic formula is: "After (something happens), an (adjective) (noun) must/is forced to deal with (something/someone)."

bluejaytwist

Quote from: polkablues on August 17, 2010, 11:18:34 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.

you put me next to the dolphin *salute
cigarettes & red vines - pt anderson definitive resource
http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com

fortyfps productions
http://www.fortyfps.com

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm on August 17, 2010, 11:30:27 PM
The basic formula is: "After (something happens), an (adjective) (noun) must/is forced to deal with (something/someone)."

let's try that out..

After (discovering a disembowled moo-cow on his front lawn), an (obese recluse) is forced to deal with (his disgusting lifestyle.. but not before indulging in one last meal).

i'd watch that.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

After (falling out of a boat), an (anthropomorphic carrot) is forced to deal with (sporadic erectile dysfunction).

I'll take my grant money in cash, thanks.

Pas

After (getting stung by a bee), an (unattractive gay man) is forced to deal with (a sudden burst of popularity).

this is fun.

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas on August 18, 2010, 08:09:15 AM
this is fun.

yeah too bad everyone is too fucking boring to play along.

After (visiting a loser site for way too many years), a (twenty-something freak) must (choose between taking the path of cine/ghostboy/hedwig or continue wasting his life).
under the paving stones.

polkablues

Seriously.  

After (trying to inject life into boring threads), a (series of Xixax admins) are forced to deal with (suicidal urges).  Trailer below *SPOILERS!*

OrHowILearnedTo

alright fine, I'll do one already.

After (falling in love with a cat), a (disfigured nam vet) must (drive across the country in a big wheel bike).

FUN.

Pas

After (having wasted their youth on posts no one replies to), a (bunch of funny-ish people with different areas of expertise) must (start a blog and find meaning in their passion for wasting time on the net)

Pubrick

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on August 19, 2010, 03:34:08 AM
must (drive across the country in a big wheel bike).

small correction for the use of "must":

whereas "is forced to deal with" pretty much writes itself, the use of "must" as shown in the example quoted seems to necessitate more than simply (something happening), as this can easily end up in a non-plot -- again as shown in the quote. the solution is easy.. when using "must" the formula is rewritten thus:

must (make a choice/complete a mission).

by implementing this update on the quoted section, it can begin to feel like a real plot:

Quote from: OrHowILearnedTo on August 19, 2010, 03:34:08 AM
must (drive across the country in a big wheel bike to save the only being who truly understands him).

further proof of this formula is found in the logline given by pas:

Quote from: Pas on August 19, 2010, 08:58:34 AM
must (start a blog and find meaning in their passion for wasting time on the net)

if he had merely stopped at "must (start a blog)" it would be a non-plot. but he has prevented this by completing the statement with a mission as per the updated formula which he obviously understood intrinsically.

that's how you fun!
under the paving stones.

Sleepless

After a bizarrely unexpected meteor shower, a self-centered stop-motion puppet is forced to take on the role of father for several orphaned Parisians.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

picolas

After being confused for Mandy Patinkin by a travelling executive, a lovelorn Sheriff must create and star in a sitcom pilot in order to recapture the hearts and minds of his jaded townspeople.